Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Champion Idea: Tekio, The Elementalist

Creator: ThePreserver May 27, 2015 9:32pm
ThePreserver
<Member>
ThePreserver's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 27, 2015 9:32pm | Report
Hey guys, this is a champion idea that I've been thinking about, and I just wanted to share it to see what you think.

Tekio is a master of elements that uses his skills to adapt to any situation. He is a ranged flexible-role champion that is meant to be the epitome of the fill role. His sword is imbued with the power of the elements.

Adapt (Passive) - Tekio chooses an element from his choice of water, earth, fire, or air, wherein his abilities will gain special effects based on his choice. This can only be done once a game. He also gains 1 AP, 1 AD, 1 Armor, and 1 Magic Resist for each champion within 700 units of him.

Fireball|Liquid Sphere|Wind Shaft|Stalagmite (Q) - Tekio fires a skillshot that travels up to 1100 units until it hits an enemy unit. Fireball deals bonus magic damage over time. Liquid Sphere stuns the target for 2 seconds. Wind Shaft deals bonus physical damage on hit. Stalagmite grants you a small shield that lasts for 6 seconds if it hits an enemy champion. This ability scales with AP.

Sword of Flames|Sword of Currents|Sword of Gales|Sword of Mountains (W) - Tekio thrusts his sword into the ground, dealing damage to units within a small radius. Sword of Flames increases the damage of your next spell. Sword of Currents pulls the enemy in. Sword of Gales increases the damage of your next basic attack. Sword of Mountains heals you for a percentage of the damage dealt. This ability scales with AP.

Rage|Serenity|Chaos|Order (E) - Tekio enters a stance for 10 seconds, reducing his range to melee, but granting his basic attacks a special effect. Rage deals magic damage and increases attack speed on-hit. Serenity Silences for 1 second on-hit. Chaos deals true damage on-hit. Order gives Tekio increased armor and magic resist that stacks with each hit. Stacks are removed at the end of Order's duration. This ability scales with AP.

Harmony (R) - Upon first cast, this ability will cycle through the elements that you have not chosen. Upon second cast, it will choose the element it is currently on, and your next ability will take on that element. (For example, you cast this, then choose water. Your next Q will be a liquid sphere.)

I left out most of the stats and cooldowns because I'm not sure what would be overpowered just by numbers alone. Tell me what you think.
ThePreserver
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 27, 2015 9:38pm | Report
The idea here is that fire is supposed to be geared towards a mage, water is geared towards heavy cc, air is geared towards an adc, and earth is geared towards tank. Making a choice between one of the four is a sacrifice of the utilities of the other three.
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2015 10:18am | Report
It's like Udyr meets Jayce meets Nidalee O_o

Seems very complex/confusing at first, but once you get the hang of the champion I'm sure he'd be a lot of fun to play. I like the idea of having ONE buff active out of 4 (like Udyr's stances).

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
ThePreserver
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 9, 2015 2:07pm | Report
It's like Udyr meets Jayce meets Nidalee O_o

Seems very complex/confusing at first, but once you get the hang of the champion I'm sure he'd be a lot of fun to play. I like the idea of having ONE buff active out of 4 (like Udyr's stances).

It does remind me of Udyr, and the choice reminds me of Kalista and the choice would probably work a similar way. If this champion were to actually become a reality I would main him all day.
Patch
<Member>
Patch's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 10, 2015 2:46pm | Report
Fire
Q - 1100 range skillshot with DoT
W - AoE damage around caster, next spell does bonus damage (only has 1 spell to proc off unless it counts the on-hit E as a spell, which it can)
E - Becomes melee range and does on-hit magic damage which increases attack speed

Water
Q - 1100 range skillshot that stuns for 2 seconds
W - AoE damage around caster that pulls enemies in
E - Become melee range and on-hit silence for 1 second (I'm assuming there's a cooldown on how frequently it can apply to a single target like Udyr Bear Stance/Naut passive)

Air
Q - 1100 range skillshot that deals bonus physical damage (but scales off AP)
W - AoE damage around caster that increases the damage of your next attack.
E - Become melee range and do true damage on hit

Earth
Q - 1100 range skillshot that grants a temporary shield
W - AoE damage around caster that heals for a portion of damage dealt
E - Become melee range and gain stacking MR/Armour on hit

Ultimate
R - Can use one of the other abilities once.

If I am to be brutally honest, I don't like the idea for many reasons, so I'll start from the top. A ranged champion who uses a sword seems odd to begin with. Draven throws axes, Thresh throws his flail, but a melee weapon used with ranged attacks is a bit of a dissonance (it doesn't line up in the head).

Thanks to his passive you don't get a chance to adapt to different situations since you are going to be forced into a primary role. Also thanks to his passive his greatest potential is having 9 (10?) of 4 different stats which in the long run amounts to pretty much nothing. Compare to Wukong who at first level in the same situation ends up with 20 MR and Armour, and at level 13 onwards can get 40 MR and Armour. And that lends to what Wukong is; a tanky DPS initiator who's meant to be tricky to kill. Tekio has no way to get in the midst of a fight and gain full advantage of his 10 stacks as he will spend most of his time ranged to poke and only use his E once a fight breaks out. Compare to Graves who also wants to stay on the edge of a fight then go in hard; he has a passive that stacks up from fighting and lots of ways to proc it (including a way to get in the thick of it).

Now I've already put my main criticisms already in each of the 4 kits, but I'll go over them again. Fire only has 1 way to proc the bonus magic damage from the W, unless it triggers on the E on-hit, which is fine. But I wanted to add that there are very few people who want to use a close range ability to get bonus magic damage, then use a 1100 skillshot. Ice is fine. Air seems to be intended as an assassin? Someone else said ADC, but with no way to gap-close into melee range, no attack speed steroid and no real way to stick to a target I think it would be better suited as burst. Unless you were aiming to be more like Irelia? Either way, I think it would help if either the W or E gave movespeed. The other problem with Air is all of the skills scale off of AP, but Air is geared towards physical damage. If Hybrid was your intent that's fine, its just a little awkward. Earth feels lackluster. You're hard to kill but to what point? Most of the people who are hard to kill are initiators or whittle you down overtime. Earth here just seems to be tanky for the sake of being tanky.

The Ultimate feels lackluster. It doesn't have oomph. You don't feel powerful for using it. The other problem is having to remember 4 kits to play 1 champion. The kit also is downright odd. A high range poke on a ranged champion with no gapcloser who wants to get up close to use two of their skills. Why not just make them outright melee?

There are a handful of good ideas in this champion that should see the light of day, like a skill that amps the damage of your next spell (sort of like a personal Ludens!), on-hit silence, Earth's Q and W... Others too that I'd have to go in detail on. Balance is a difficult theme to get right that you could easily argue Riot struggles with between their designs of Karma and Udyr. Maybe go back to the ground work of what you wanted to achieve making this guy and see what you want to keep where.

And never stop making!
Never Stop Making!
ThePreserver
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 10, 2015 5:55pm | Report
By all means, don't be afraid to give criticism, the best kind is "what can be done better" which most people take as an insult. At any rate, I thank you for your input and you do make some good points that I didn't take into consideration when making the guy.

Patch wrote:
A ranged champion who uses a sword seems odd to begin with.

You do have a point there, though I've seen some crazy things that don't make sense in this game (like Orianna's poke, what is that she's throwing?); Nidalee's poke always bugged me for some reason. It's meant to be a secondary item, like how Fiora has a little dagger behind her back in her left hand, only to be used when needed. He's more oriented towards using his spells to get the job done.

Patch wrote:
Thanks to his passive you don't get a chance to adapt to different situations since you are going to be forced into a primary role. Also thanks to his passive his greatest potential is having 9 (10?) of 4 different stats which in the long run amounts to pretty much nothing.

Now, his ultimate meant to have a low cooldown (like a basic spell) so you can adapt to situations, but it's only one spell so you're not amazingly versatile for every situation. I mostly envision his ultimate being used to get an extra cc for when you need it if you're not a cc heavy build, or getting a high damage burst for when you did go cc heavy.

The second portion of the passive is mostly just a cosmetic thing, Most of his passive is just how his ult works, like how Kalista's passive explains her ult (along with the martial poise thing)

It does seem rather disadvantageous that the adc setup doesn't have the ability to deal bonus damage without getting within melee range, which is counterintuitive to how adcs work in teamfights and in general. I probably need to change this up somehow or like you said, rework it from the ground up.

His spells do damage mind you, so he could in fact whittle someone down over time and use his ultimate to keep someone under cc every so often, while his high tankiness makes it worthwhile to be in there. As for initiating, he could just pop an R and stun with Q, then chasetank, or peel off enemy chasers, allowing your allies to all in them if in good positioning or under turret.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide