Amumu Build Guide by TheMcDanee
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello my fellow League of Legends and MobaFire members. Today I will bring you another guide from me. A little short about me and my experience with Amumu:
I've played Amumu quite a lot in normal games, I think about 100 games in total, I've experimented with different builds on him and I also have followed a few from here on MobaFire. But when I was going to play a ranked 5v5 with my newly created team a friend told me we needed a champion with a lot of teamfight presence I thought to myself "Hey, Amumu is a great teamfight campion, why don't I take him?". So I took Amumu and he asked me if I knew how to play Amumu I was like hell yeah I can play him. We got ingame and I said the usual, pull blue damage wolves (note: we were in Skype so I didn't type it). He pulled blue my top lane damaged it and I was like "Hey, I'm coming top now", he responded with "Now? you are only level 2, don't you wanna wait to level 3 at least?", I said "Nah, I gank early with all junglers except Maokai". I went to gank top and we got first blood, I then went to mid lane and got him a kill, after that I went and took my red buff, I went bot after that. We could have picked up a double kill if I had waited just a tad bit longer, but we killed their carry and I was fine with that. Later on in the game our team was a head but then I got a phone call that I had to leave, I said to my friends "Dudes we have to finish this quickly I have to leave..." Just after I said that the other teams Skarner hooked my top lane and pulled him into their team, I flashed to the side positioning me perfectly for a nice Bandage Toss unto their Graves, I hit and flew into their team popped Curse of the Sad Mummy snaring everyone on their team. After that the teamfight was over in seconds and we pushed for victory.
Now that I've told you a little about my experience with Amumu I'm going to tell you what I love about him.
I love the fact that you want to get hit by Blitzcrank's Rocket Fist and get pulled into their team, because that is the best opportunity you are ever going to get, pop Curse of the Sad Mummy and the teamfight is won as your team collapses upon them and you in the middle spamming laugh. His ult is an absolute game changer, you can win entire games with a solid ult. But that also means that you can throw games with your ult too.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros and Cons
+ Relatively easy to learn
+ 2 CC spells (Stun/AoE Snare)
+ Fast jungler
+ Awesome tank with Tantrum
+ Dealing percentage Damage aoe
+ Loves hugging
- Skillshot stun.
- Manahungry early.
- Hard to master.
- Longish cd on Bandage Toss
- No real escape (have to target enemy to use Bandage Toss
- Cries a lot
The choice of my masteries have changed over the time I've played Amumu, at first it was 0/30/0 as I thought it would be best for him, after that I went 0/21/9 this time I was sure I had hit the jackpot, but no. I recently remade my mastery pages and I created a mastery page ideal for tanks like Amumu, Maokai, Shen and Nautilus. Lets break it down a little.
: The reason I take
is because I tend to use Exhaust when I jungle with Amumu and I feel that the reduced Armor and Magic resist is well worth maxing Exhaust for, as it makes you deal incredible amounts of damage with your lane partners during early ganks, it also means most of the time a certain kill.
: This one is basically just there to help you clear the jungle faster and unlock
: Now this will help you a lot in the jungle as it gives you more attack speed and it will also help you during ganks and it will also help you keep your passive up on the target.
: Now this will help you get a better income from using Smite, as it gives you 10G instead of 5G, if I remember correctly it also lowers the cooldown on Smite which means you can clear the jungle faster, but it also means it's more likely that you have Smite up when you are either going to try and steal or take down
: These both are so that you will scale even better into late game, they also give you some early protection in ganks and
also makes you take less damage from the jungle camps.
: This will make you take less damage from any minion by the incredible amount of 2 damage per hit!!! As you can see it's not that much, but early game it will help you save some HP in the jungle.
: This will help you gain more HP as you level up, the amounts of extra HP you get aren't staggering but at level 18 you will have gained 108 extra HP from this mastery alone, which plus
is 3,24 HP.
: This plus your Regrowth Pendant level one gives you quite some health regeneration per 5, it means you are staying on higher HP more as you gank and jungle more without having to go back to base as often as a few have too.
: This will give you a health boost early game, giving you an extra 30 HP, it is not much late game but early game it means a lot when jungling and your ability to gank lanes.
: This gives you more movementspeed when you are above 70% HP, and that is also when you want to engage in teamfights, so that you get the most out of the bonus movementspeed.
- Juggernaut : This is probably one of the best mastery to take in the defense tree, it gives you 3% extra HP on your max HP, it also reduces all crowd control thrown at you with 10%, so this and Mercury's Treads will make stuns, silences, snares and slows a waste if they throw it at you.
I have selected these runes for my rune page when jungling with Amumu as they give you both armor, attack speed and magic resist, pretty much all you need to jungle effectively as Amumu. I'm going to break down my choice of runes so you know why I take them.
- Greater Quintessence of Armor: The reason I take Armor quintessences is because it gives you so much early and mid game potential, it will make you able to tank early game ganks and probably one or two tower hits. You can swap these out for Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed if you feel that you need the extra movement speed over the extra Armor
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: These marks are so awesome for any junglers, I've been using these for a while now and I absolutely love them, it's the best marks for any tank jungler and Amumu is no exception.
- Greater Seal of Armor: These will also give you more armor as the Greater Quintessence of Armor does, not by the same amount though, these are the main marks for any jungler as they are essential to keep up as much HP as possible in the jungle, if you start with Cloth Armor the damage you take in the jungle early is almost nothing.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: I take these runes for a reason, the reason is that you won't be facing so much magic damage in the jungle or early in the game. These give you magic resist per level and thus scales better into late game as you do, late game you want to get some magic resist items (will be covered later on) as the magic dealers deal more and more damage late game.
Smite: This is essential for anyone jungling, not because you can't jungle without it, it's because you want to use it to secure your blue/red buff. You should also last hit Baron Nashor and Dragon .
Flash: This is the number one escape and chase summoner spell, it allows you to move through walls, position for Q's, jump into their and ult team etc. etc. The reason I take Flash is because it is such a great spell, if used properly you can flash into their team and land a perfect Curse of the Sad Mummy or flash to the side as I did to land a perfect Bandage Toss.
Exhaust: This is also a great spell, when mastered it reduces the Armor and Magic res, it also reduces the physical damage they do with 70% and magic damage they do with 35%. If you take this you should be aware that you have no real escape spell and is mostly left out if you get caught in a bad situation.
Here I will explain what all Amumu's spells does, I am also going to give you tips on how to use it properly for maximum damage or utility.
- Cursed Touch: This is your passive spell, it will reduce the Magic resist of your target, everytime you autoattack someone your debuff refills but it does not stack, remember that.
- Bandage Toss (Q): This is your skillshot spell, you cast it out and hope for the best, not really. You cast it and aim it at an opponent and if you hit you will be pulled towards the target, it will also stun the target for you to get there. This is most typically used to initiate as Amumu, this in combination with your ult Curse of the Sad Mummy is devastating. A tip is to aim for their AD or AP carry.
- Despair (W): This is your first AoE spell, it does percentage based magic damage against all hit scaling with AP, this is the spell you will be maxing out first, as it will do the most damage of all your spells in ganks and teamfights, the reason I max Despair first is that it is the best spell used to clear the jungle camps. But use it sparingly as it drains mana per second it's up, meaning you can quickly drain your mana if you keep it up when you are not fighting.
- Tantrum (E): This spell reduces the physical damage taken on you and instead you get one second lower cooldown every time you get hit by a basic attack, meaning in teamfights you will probably always have this spell available. This also applies to minions meaning you will probably kill for example all wraiths at the same time if you use Tantrum every time it's up in the camp.
- Curse of The Sad Mummy (R): This is your signature move, being able to snare an entire team in one spell, locking them all up. This is your gamechanger, if used correctly you can pull of sick ults to help your team win that fight.
When playing Amumu you want to make sure that you deal a respectable amount of damage for a tank while tanking, that is why you want to max Despair first, after that you want to take a point in Bandage Toss for an early gank, but don't put a point in there until you have to, you want to max out Tantrum before you max out Bandage Toss as it reduces the damage taken by all physical attacks.
: These boots will help you against teamcomps with either a lot of magic damage or cc, if they on the other hand have a lot of physical damage go with Ninja Tabi instead of these.
: This has recently become one of my favorite items on tanks and bruiser, as it gives a nice boost of HP, Magic res and Armor, it also gives you 8 more AD, it's not a gamebreaking amount, but the aura from this item is so nice, you should aim to have at least one or two in your team.
: This I have described as THE best item in the entire League of Legends, mainly due to the fact not a single piece of this item costs over 1000g, it gives the second most armor in the game only behind Thornmail, it gives 500 mana, 20% CDR, AoE attack speed debuff. This item is a gift sent from above to all the tanks using mana, it is also an excellent item for Amumu as it gives you lower cooldowns, more mana and armor that you also need to be able to tank efficiently.
: There are a few players out there thinking that this item suck, but I say the opposite, it's a great item for Amumu as you deal more magic damage to everyone in teamfights and you also get more HP and armor, the passive is just a bonus, it is also relatively cheap.
- shurelya's reverie: This is mostly used by supports as a escape item for the entire team, but as Amumu you can use it to get closer to the other team and land a Bandage Toss from a much closer distance. This item also gives you Mana reg, HP reg and cooldownreduction, meaning it's a great item for Amumu
- : This item is great when you have a lot of HP, it is usually built together with Warmog's Armor, as it will maximize the HP regen, but we are not going to get Warmog's Armor because it is not a great tank item, it is more suited for bruisers who go a little bit more tanky.
: Take this item if you want to deal more damage, but remember, if you take this item you wont be as tanky as you other wise would be.
: This item is a great item overall, but I feel that it doesn't fit Amumu as much as Malphite mainly because you are supposed to try and disable them all while you deal damage with Despair and Sunfire Cape.
: If you are going to build tanky AP you should take this item, as it will give you HP, mana and AP over time, its passive is also good for when you level up. Other wise I wouldn't take this item.
: This will boost your HP a considerable amount and also boost your damage output, take this item if you are going to be dealing more damage rather than tanking it.
: This item gives you almost the same stats as Rod of Ages and will boost your Hp, mana and this time Magic res instead of ability power. I would consider taking this item if they have a high burst mage like LeBlanc, Galio or Kassadin.
- : This is Zilean's ult in a can, meaning you will revive on place after a 5 second delay, it doesn't give you the same amount of HP as Zilean's does, it will give you around 700hp and then you have to get out of there as fast as possible or they burst you down again.
Jungling and Teamfights
When jungling as Amumu you will be starting at wolves then take blue, after taking blue you should head to gank a lane, if your blue is closer to bot lane then that is the lane you should gank first, if your blue is closer to top lane then gank that lane first. When you reach level 2 you put your first point in Bandage Toss for your gank. After you have ganked you return to your jungle or gank mid, if you return to your jungle you should take wolves again then wraiths, after you hit level 3 you should put your first point in Tantrum as it will boost your jungling speed quite a lot.
When you reach the point where teamfights starts erupting everywhere you should walk with your team. Because if you are not with them, they have a much smaller chance of winning that teamfight. When a teamfight starts you should aim to land your Bandage Toss + Curse of the Sad Mummy combo where there are the most of their team, it has quite long range Bandage Toss and so does your Curse of the Sad Mummy.
When initiating you should try and land Bandage Toss on the one in their team that is closest to everyone, and then activate Curse of the Sad Mummy
Well, now the guide is complete, I will be adding LoLReplays to this guide of when I play Amumu, most of the time I will be trying to get ranked games, but people have started to ban him again in 1100 elo. There might come some normal games too, but I don't play as much normals as rankeds nowadays.
Thanks to my team for their support, thanks to you for reading I really appreciate it and your support keeps me going.
I hope you liked my guide, give it a upvote and favorite!
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.