Udyr Build Guide by NAPKEtheBLOODY2
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
All Round Jungle Phoenix
Typical Full Build (and Order)
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
My name is NAPKEtheBLOODY and I'm currently Silver III (TY placement system...). I don't know how to all the fancy stuff to make the guide look special, but I do know how to jungle.
This guide is about Jungle Udyr utilizing his Phoenix Stance. If you like high mobility, fast clearing tanky junglers, this is a guide for you!
I've tried to make the guide short & simple, therefore I won't go super in-depth on advanced strategy.
Why Phoenix Udyr?
Season 4 is good for fast clearinng junglers with more jungle camps than ever. Phoenix Udyr has fast clearing speed and with the recent changes to the Spirit-line jungle items, he no longer has mana issues!
As a jungler, he has it all: Great Clear Speed, Great Duelling, Good Sustain, Good ganks, and unbelieveble tankiness!
He's hard to play though, because his early ganking requires optimal use of his Monkey's Agility passive and cooparative teamplay.
Pro's & Cons
-No point & click Gap-closer
-Requires cooperative Teammates (Who make use of the short stun of Bear Stance)
-Requires decent Skill
If you look at the cons, Proper LOL-Skills can eliminate the last 3 cons
When to Pick Udyr?
Udyr can fit in any team that needs a tanky jungler (which is typical in current meta);
-he can be an average initiator
-he can peel
-he can deal nice damage
He is kitable so enemy team can be a factor:
-his ganks have less odds of being successful by very mobile targets (junglers like Hecarim or Jarvan suffer way less from this)
-He doesn't like slows
Also if the enemy team has annoying lane champions, such as Garen, Tristana. Janna and Morgana, you should focus on farming the jungle and counter jungling, which Udyr does very well.
- Smite is mandatory for junglers. Increases clearing speed and secures Buffs and Dragon.
- Flash is good both offensive and defensive. I prefer it to Ghost because I escape trough walls with it
- Ghost is a good alternative to Flash and usually gives you superior ganks and initiation.
The other summoners spells are simply worse.
Passive: Monkey's Agility
-Utilizing this passive is very important, especially when ganking. 15 extra movement speed and 30% AS is a good boost early game. When you have the mana always try to keep 3 stacks. When ganking, build up at least 1 stack, than use Bear Stance.
Q: Tiger Stance
-We use Phoenix for damage. This skill is still useful late game for some extra damage and pushing towers.
W: Turtle Stance
-One of the best spammable shields in the game. People often underestimate your tankiness and they mistake dueling or attacking you, which is why I max this skill second. Also makes for easy solo dragons. The lifesteal part isn't utilized that much in this build until Sheen.
E: Bear Stance
-Makes us able to gank. The one 1 second stun may not be much, but the 6 second cooldown isn't that much either. You can even stun more enemies, which makes it very good in team fights and a disruption/peeling ability. Max this 3rd or put some points in there if your team depends on your ganks.
R: Phoenix Stance
Great AoE damage ability. It makes us clear and push very fast, even if we are oom. Early game it does very high damage, Mid game it does good AoE damage in team-fights. It falls off a bit late game, but does enough damage to make you threat (especially to squishies). I always max this for fast clears and high damage ganks.
These runes are kind of mandatory for Phoenix udyr to work. There simply aren't any better options.
- Mark of Attack Speed give fast early jungling and works great with Phoenix Stance
- Seal of Armor are mandatory for most junglers and Udyr is no exception
- Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist are the best option for tanky junglers
- Quint of Movement Speed really improve Udyr's ganking and overal gameplay. These are mandatory and a good investment for many Champions
I'm not gonna explain every single mastery here. Just remember that Udyr works best as a tanky mofo, so always invest in the defense tree. I'm using 0/21/9 masteries which makes Udyr very tough and a good dualist.
Use common sense!! E.g. swap the magic resist masteries if the enemies don't deal a lot magic damage or pick up Swiftness if they have annoying slows
Some Udyr players prefer to use 0/9/21 masteries, mainly for the extra movement-speed bonus of Wanderer and the Lifesteal/Spellvamp Vampirism . This will make you a worse duelist and tank, however it will also make ganking easier and invasions can be done in less time (quickly in & out).
Personally I never need the extra spellvamp, but if you like it, 0/18/12 masteries might be for you.
- Hunter's Machete + 5 pods
You jungle right? Works good with your decent AS too!
-Personal Preference: I prefer the Warding Totem as it helps me defend my jungle and invade the enemy jungle. Sweeping Lens is better for ganking though, and usually the team will expect the support and jungler to take this trinket eventually, as you can clear dragon and baron of wards. Remember that trinkets are free, so u can swap them anytime.
- Ninja Tabi + Spirit of the Ancient Golem + Wit's End are relatively cheap and will prepare you for early teamfights. You got good sustain and damage, some HP and defenses. These items are always my first items. It's prefered to complete Spirit of the Ancient Golem ASAP, because the life/mana-steal passive gives you good sustain, but most of all the extra income it provides you. If you can't complete it when u first go b, buy Spirit Stone & Boots of Speed, maybe even Ninja Tabi.
Wit's End is amazing for Phoenix Udyr; more damage, more Phoenix Stance procs, Magic resist and Magic pen! With this item alone your damage output will remain high during early-and-mid game.
Assuming the Tank Role
- After the core items you should build what you think the team needs. You'll probably get pushed in the
(off-)tank role, and from here you need to plan your build carefully and you have some flexible options
Early HP & Armor
- Sunfire Cape vs Randuin's Omen
Sunfire Cape is better offensive and if you plan on building Iceborn Gauntlet, it's usually the better choice. However, Randuin's Omen + Trinity Force make you less kitable and faster and they are a good alternative.
Need extra Magic Resist? Sometimes you don't and can skip this for an other offensive or defensive option.
- Maw of Malmortius vs Abyssal Scepter vs Banshee's Veil
The Maw is often the best choice because it gives us nice damage (both passives also work great with Turtle Stance's Shield). Abyssal Scepter might be better offensive if your team can benefit much from the aura. Defensive I prefer Banshee's Veil to Spirit Visage because Phoenix Udyr benefits more from the spellshield compared to the increased healing and cooldown reduction.
- Iceborn Gauntlet vs Trinity Force
For me, Iceborn is usually preferred because the great armor and AoE damage and slow. However, for pure damage Trinity is better. If you are focusing on carry-hunting, Randuin's + Trinity might be superior to Sunfire Cape and Iceborn. You don't really have to pay much attention to the Spellblade Passive, because as Udyr you are contantly changing stances anyway.
- The Black Cleaver vs Blade of the Ruined King
Often there's no room for one of these items unless you don't need extra magic resist item or sell your Spirit of the Ancient Golem and Ninja Tabi for Merc's Treads.
Cleaver is better for Peeling and BoftRK is better for Carry hunting and Dueling.
Selling Spirit of the Ancient Golem
- Spirit of the Ancient Golem is a fine item on Udyr and I usually never sell it because I like the sustain and the fact that I can run on Ninja Tabi. If you sell it, be sure to pick up Mercury's Treads or Zephyr for the tenacity effect.
These items aren't optimal but can be viable in certain situations
- Locket of the Iron Solari is a very good item and gives you all tank-stats in one item and a nice aura! Usually the support buys this, so I don't bother with it.
- Frozen Heart for the aura if the enemy team relies on fast Auto-Attacks e.g. Master Yi, Tryndamere].
- Thornmail if they rely on AA again or if that enemy ADC rapes you!
- Guardian Angel is actually pretty good as the defensive stats work well on Champions with Shields. It's expensive and therefore i would only consider this if I find myself dying a lot, which doesnt happen.
- Frozen Mallet isn't a good item for Udyr. Because of your spammeble shield you benefit extra from armor and magic resist so items with just Health such Frozen Mallet and Warmog's Armor are inferior. Frozen Mallet can be usefull for the slow passive. Usually the slow from Iceborn Gauntlet is enough.
Jungling: Tips & Tricks
In this chapter I will give you some tips for better jungling.
-Blue buff is needed for a speedy Udyr jungle and is therefore a natural starting point. This is a weakness shared by many junglers. Sometimes you know the enemy jungler starts at his blue ( Amumu& Fiddlesticks) so you can start at his red Buff and steal it, and continue with your Blue Buff camp.
-Proceed to Wolves-> Wraiths. If you see that there aren't any gank opportunities, I smite the the big Wraiths and continue with Small Golems. After Small Golems I take my red (Smite should be off cooldown again).
-Go gank someone or clear any remaining camps. Don't forget about the new Wight camp!
-If you can't gank and have some idea where the enemy jungler is, or he is a weak duelist, invade his junge. Only do this if you are an experienced jungler and have good map awareness.
How to Jungle efficiently?
-Use Phoenix Stance once before the monsters spawn. When you make an attack you Proc Phoenix Stance on-hit damage and can Activate it immidiately for another Proc!
- Turtle Stance just before engaging a camp so that you have the shield active but Phoenix Stance just became off cooldown. Phoenix, attack three times to proc its effect than go back to Turtle and use Phoenix when it's off cooldown.
-Only if you have the mana (blue buff?), keep up the three stacks in Monkey's Agility and use bear stance to cover ground.
How to gank?
-Go in from behind if possible. When low on mana just use Turtle when you approach and than Bear when you get closer. If you manage to Stun your target(s), immediately go Phoenix. Use Turtle to survive if needed or keep 3 stacks of Monkey's and be sure to go Bear again if it's been 6 seconds since u last stunned them.
-If you have enough mana, it's preferred to come in with 3 stacks of Monkey's. Be sure to be able to Bear when you get close though.
-Cooperate with Teammates/Use common sense
-With his high mobility and ability to clear minion waves really super fast, Udyr is an awesome split pusher. During mid and late game you should take every opportunity to push the minion waves into the enemy towers.
-Often you are the tank in teamfights, but Udyr has very good disengage. Whenever you just barely escaped death, but the teamfight is still going on (hopefully your side is winning), quickly run to an other lane and push it! This way the enemy team has to send someone to defend it or lose towers/inhibitors.
Thank you for reading the whole thing!
Udyr is very strong at the moment and I hope this guide will help you utilizing his all-round kit. He's flexible in playstyle and item build. Also show those boring Tiger Udyrs what is means to mess with the Phoenix!