Lissandra Build Guide by FaithShaddix
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Freezing the Mid Lane
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
|Hi, Im FaithShaddix and this is my very first guide on mobafire. I gave my best and I'm open for feedback, whether it's about layout or content.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Lissandra is a really strong AP Mid Champ, when played correctly. Her beautiful passive Iceborn makes her extremely manaefficient and lets her spam her abilities, especially her Q, Ice Shard. Her Ultimate Frozen Tomb is really unique and can be used both offensively and defensively. Her skillset makes her good in many roles, like Mid or Top Lane or even as a Support.
Pros & Cons
+ Extremely Manaefficient
+ Good Escape Ability with Glacial Path
+ Good CC with her Q, W and R
+ Viable & strong Ultimate Frozen Tomb
+ Good Farm, due to Iceborn
- Hard to Master
- Glacial Path useless, when in CC
- Pretty low Range.
- Gets focused early in Teamfights
- Must be played risky to be good
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: As an AP Champion you need a bit of early AP, especially with this "AP-Less" start. Also makes your poke with Ice Shard more painful.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic Penetration is always useful for AP Casters, since you could otherwise easily be countered with magic Resist.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: It gives you a little defense against enemy spells. A "Must Have" as an AP Mid, except when facing AD Champions.
- Greater Seal of Armor: This takes some damage out of your enemies AA's or a potential gank from an AD Jungler, though it might not be very much.
|Lissandra is a strong AP Mid character, which isn't that squishy by nature, so you aim for offensive Masteries. Its a 21/0/9 AP Masteries build, with Meditation & Strength of Spirit for more sustain aswell as with Sorcery , Mental Force and Archmage for a little AP boost. Executioner , Expose Weakness , Devastating Strikes and [Havoc]] increase your overall damage. Arcane Blade makes your AA's hurt a bit more and Dangerous Game can save your life in close situations (like when ignited while getting the kill). Finally Phasewalker , Summoner's Insight and Runic Affinity give you a little cooldown reduction on summoner spells and Recall and longer buff durations, which is always useful.|
Viable Summoner Spells
Flash: Always good for a quick escape or a secured kill.
Ignite: This gives you an extra bit of damage and reduces Healing Effects. Especially good vs Champions like Vladimir or Mordekaiser, but a pretty common choice for Mid-Laners anyway.
Teleport: Good for getting back to lane or backdooring. Take it, if needed, instead of Ignite or, if you totally rely on your Glacial Path, instead of Flash (not recommended).
- Iceborn: This Passive gives you a free Spell Cast every 18 seconds. This doesnt get affected by CDR, but it actually gets reduced by 1 second, when you hit an enemy with Ice Shard, Ring of Frost or Frozen Tomb. So if you hit 4 enemies with Ring of Frost, the CD gets reduced by 5 seconds. However, the cooldown of it only gets reduced by 1 second if you use Ice Shard, since it only slows the first enemy unit hit. This gives you some more sustain, since you'll never go out of Mana, if played carefully.
- Ice Shard (Q): This is Lissandras main skill. It's basicly a short range skillshot, which slows the first enemy hit and then splits and deals damage in a small cone behind the target. The slow doesn't apply to the enemies hit by the cone damage. Use this skill to harass and farm, since it's Cooldown is pretty low.
- Ring of Frost (W): This skill isn't really complicated. It simply roots all enemies in a small area around Lissandra. It's range is pretty short and it has a medium Cooldown. Use it to coordinate ganks with your jungler and hold your enemies in place.
- Glacial Path (E): This High-Cooldown-Ability is Lissandras unique escape or initiating ability. It shoots a slowly travelling claw in the wanted direction. Activating Glacial Path again teleports you to the current location of the claw. Use it to hop over walls and surprise your enemies or to escape ganks. However the teleporting trick can't be used under most CC conditions.
- Frozen Tomb (R): This is your ultimate. It transforms either an enemy or Lissandra itself in black ice, while stunning that Champion, dealing a huge amount of damage to sorrounding enemies and slowing them. You can use it in the Laning Phase as a powerful stun or later in the teamfights like a Zhonya's Hourglass. You won't be easy to kill with this spell if you combine it with Zhonya's Hourglass.
Ability Sequence Order
|We want to max Ice Shard first, since it's our main source of Damage, with a low cooldown, a slowing effect and a cone damage. After this I usually max Glacial Path, because of the reduced cooldown. This gives you the ability to use this unique skill more often, which can save your life. You mostly want to max Ring of Frost last, except if you dont need your escape/gap-closer skill that often but need a little more damage and root duration instead. Remember: Glacial Path is your Utility skill, not your damage-output, so you should mostly not use your whole Ability-Combo for an enemy. Of course, max Frozen Tomb whenever possible.|
I recommend taking Doran's Ring, Warding Totem and a Health Potion first, because this offers you a good mix of damage, extra health and mana sustain. The Health Potion obviously gives you some health back, since you do not have a heal on Lissandra. The Warding Totem provides you a little more lane safety. I wouldn't take other Trinkets on Lissandra, because you need permanent vision through Stealth Wards when you're on a solo lane.
I dont usually start with Boots of Speed, because Lissandra doesnt really need the extra speed, she can escape ganks etc. with her E Glacial Path.
I then rush the Chalice of Harmony, which I later build into an Athene's Unholy Grail, for even more Mana Reg., followed by the Sorcerer's Shoes for extra mobility and Magic Penetration and if I have the gold, I also build an Seeker's Armguard for more sustain and AP. I think this is a pretty nice start, because with the little cone damage of your Q Ice Shard, you do not really need to build so much early AP; You simply poke the enemies to death.
Later Item Build
|These are the standard boots for an AP Caster; they make your spells hurt more aswell as giving you the necessary speed to escape from bad situations.|
|I upgrade the early Chalice of Harmony to this little beast, because it fits perfectly to Lissandras skillset and playstyle. It provides you AP for more damage and Magic Resist for more defense. Lissandra also benefits greatly from the bonus Mana Regeneration and the CDR, allowing her to spam Ice Shard even more. Morellonomicon is a viable substitute for this item, if you're focusing more on damage than on survivability.|
|Having build this, no one does simply destroy Lissandra. It gives you a huge amount of AP aswell as a nice Armor boost. And the active effect synergizes well with your ultimate.|
|Not much to say here. Pretty much the Infinity Edge for AP-Champions. Gives you massive AP-Power plus a 30% AP Boost.|
|One Word: Pain. This item is relatively cheap and hurts a lot, because of the AP bonus and 35% Magic Penetration to deal almost true damage when combined with your other Magic Penetration items.|
|This item is, in my opinion the best item for Lissandra. It deals 12% of the enemies current health per cast of Ice Shard, Ring of Frost or Frozen Tomb. Especially the potential of Ice Shard increases massively, since you can cast it about every 4 seconds. Simply amazing!|
Also think about these!
Abyssal Scepter: The icing on your cake. Take this item for some solid AP and Magic Resist. It also lowers your enemies magic resist, causing maximum spell harassment. Take Abyssal Scepter only if no one in your team has built it or is going to build it and if you need the Magic Resist it gives. Otherwise take Void Staff or Deathfire Grasp instead.
Deathfire Grasp: I recommend this item only in cases, in which you would buy a Void Staff and if you want even more CDR and percentual damage. The active ability of Deathfire Grasp really kicks ***es and makes kills vs. tanky targets a lot easier.
Morellonomicon: This is basicly a more aggressive version of Athene's Unholy Grail. The Mana Regeneration is almost as strong as Athene's Unholy Grail's and the AP damage is even better. The passive also helps you killing, especially when laning vs. Master Yi, Vladimir or other champions, that rely on healing effects. Take it instead of Athene's Unholy Grail when facing one of them.
Banshee's Veil: This is a very situational item, but suitable for Lissandra, since it increases the chance to survive teamfights well. The spellshield is the component, for which you should buy Banshee's Veil. Purchase it before Zhonya's Hourglass, but leave away Abyssal Scepter, when getting harassed by champions like Nidalee or Jayce.
Since Patch 3.10 Banshee's Veil provides even more Health and Magic Resist, while remaining the passive and adding a new one, which gives you a huge HP5-boost, which can help you to sustain longer in lane. So I recommend buying this while in laning phase and while facing a hard AP based opponent.
- Frozen Heart: Buy this unconventional item when you really need lots of Armor. Lissandra also benefits from the bonus Mana and CDR and, since she's mostly at close range, even from the Attack Speed Reduction. Purchase this situational as a tankier substitute for Zhonya's Hourglass or even for Abyssal Scepter when 95 bonus Armor just isn't enough.
Lissandra's abilities are literally made for poking a lot. Due to the mana regeneration and the passive, that Doran's Ring provides, the passive Iceborn and the short cooldown on Ice Shard you can almost constantly keep your enemy at low health or force them to waste all their Health Potion's. You can also use Ice Shard to secure important farm, like Cannon Minions or to push the lane and farm effiently at the same time, when needed.
Once you can bring your enemy down to approximately 1/3 to 1/4 of his Health, you can go all in. Initiate with Glacial Path, jump next to your foe and snare him with Ring of Frost, then use Ignite and hit as many Ice Shard's as possible. If you have it, you can also use your ultimate Frozen Tomb to holding your enemy in place and doing heavy damage. This should kill almost everyone. :D
When you have reached Level 6, your enemies should prepare for some crazy ganks. Lissandra's skillset is perfect for roaming and making successful ganks or escapes. So try to do this a lot to get yourself and your allies fed.
Here you can see some gank paths, which nobody will expect:
In Late Game, you can mainly use your Ice Shard to farm, due to the low Cooldown and the relatively high damage. You're also able to push much, because of your good escapability. For further information see the 'Teamfights' Section.
|Mostly your main aim as an AP Caster is to stay back as far as possible and cast your spells as soon as they are ready. But with Lissandra's low range her role varies a little. First you have to land as much harassment on your enemies with Ice Shard as possible, until somebody initiates.
In most cases even Lissandra herself can initiate a teamfight with Glacial Path followed by Ring of Frost. As the fight goes on you should, besides spaming Ice Shard, try to:
Both of these strategies can be efficient, but you should always do it situational. The first strategy for example is useful, when the enemy team has an extremely fed AD-Carry. You can stun him to take him out of the fight for some time and deal heavy damage.
The second scenario is better, when you know, that you will get focused. So you have the doubled Invulnerability
This is the Matchup-Section. I will rate every Champion I've played against in the middle lane from 1-3, while 1 is easy, 2 medium hard and 3 hard to play against.
Thank you, Bonzai Snap, for helping me so much and giving me feedback on this section!
More Coming Soon...
There is no winning in League of Legends without Map Control. And Map Control means warding and counterwarding.
First of all, I want to make sure that warding isn't only the job of the support! It's everybodys job. Even the AD-Carry can buy wards, if necessary.
The changes from Season 4 (Ward Limit, Trinket System, Vision Ward changes) are trying to give this mentality a little push.
Generally you can say: The more wards, the better. Ward as soon and as much as possible. A Stealth Ward does only cost 75 Gold and even the Vision Wards aren't that expensive with 100 Gold.
Make sure to have as much of the following places warded whenever possible:
Most of these wards prevent counterjungling, ganks or just give Vision on Dragon and Baron. This is necessary for a good game. No vision means that real Map-Awareness isn't really possible.
Buy a Ward, save a Life!
So! Finally, this is the end of my Lissandra guide. I hope you all enjoyed it. Like I said in the Introduction, give me all your suggestions about this guide in the comments Section. But pls dont just up- or downvote without any explaination. Because otherwise I dont know what I have to improve. Pls do not be too strict to me, since it's my first guide (:
Changes & Milestones
01. May 2013: Finished my first guide
01. May 2013: >1.000 Views
02. May 2013: >2.000 Views
11. May 2013: >5.000 Views
15. June 2013: >10.000 Views
29. June 2013: Added additional advices in the "Warding/Map Control"-Chapter
15. July 2013: Added 'Laning Phase' Chapter
27. August 2013: Changed the information from Banshee's Veil
14. December 2013: Updated the Guide for Season 4, changed some things in the "Items" and "Warding" Sections. I also adjusted the Masteries and Items to fit to Season 4.
23. December 2013: Added Lissandra's Champion Spotlight at the beginning of the Guide aswell as the Matchups-Section which will be coming soon
27. December 2013: Added Ahri and Ziggs to the Matchup-Section.
22. March 2014: Added various Champions to the Matchup-Section. More will follow.
28. March 2014: Added Nidalee to the Matchup Section
08. April 2014: Made some minor tweaks in the "Items"-Section.
07. May 2014: Since Patch 4.7, Lissandras stun works more reliable and will interrupt dashes etc. now!