Ziggs Build Guide by cabilo
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my first guide but dont go easy on me i want to see what you think about it so I can make it better and play Ziggs better because Ziggs is my favorite champion.I love the way he can zone almost everyone in mid and he is almost unfocusable in teamfights.
Ziggs is an AP carry. All of his spells do AoE damage. He is a defensive champion that does damage from afar. His poking power is amazing.
Pros / Cons
+ Good farmer
+ Great poker
+ Can dominate almost anyone mid lane
+ Tons of AoE damage
- Very squishy
- Almost no CC
- Mana hungry
- Mega Inferno Bomb has a warning indicator
I take pretty standard ap carry build. Not much to say there I take 9 points in utility for Runic Affinity because Ziggs loses mana rly fast if you spam your abilites and with blue buff you can torture them like crazy. It's great when teams are poking before teamfights Ziggs with blue buff has amazing poking power.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: It gives good amount of AP for early game so you can dominate it easier.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: It gives more magic prenetration wich you need before Void Staff
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power: I took these for more AP because I get enough of sustiain from my items. You can replace these with Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction for CD reduction but I think he doesn't need it that much because Bouncing Bomb has low CD
- greater seal of replenishment: Ziggs is very mana hungry and if you don't take these runes you will HAVE to buy Archangel's Staff.
- Flash Well flash that's a great spell for any champions and it's amazing for Ziggs. For example he can flash into satchel charge and so on.
- Ignite Ignite it's almost same as flash great spell for any ap carry and so for Ziggs too.
Other viable summoner spells
- Clarity Since Ziggs is very mana hungry Clarity is pretty good spell. Don't take it if you are building Archangel's Staff. I don't take clarity because Ziggs has bit longer cooldowns so Ignite is very good and I always take blue buff.
- Heal Ziggs is very squishy champion if you think you can't survive without heal take it it's a good spell. But i don't take it because Ziggs is hard to focus and I think Flash is enough to survive.
- Teleport I like this spell because I like to get in combat as soon as possible but for staying more in lane i would rather take Clarity or Heal.
- Surge I don't really like this spell on AP carrys and usually I don't use it much and i think Ziggs has enough damage and for finishing enemies off Ignite is better and it gives healing reduction debuff.
- Ghost You can replace Flash for Ghost but on Ziggs i rather take flash because you can throw Satchel Charge and flash on it, then activate it. When mastered it's an amazing escaping combo.
- Cleanse It's also great spell you can take it instead of Ignite or Flash but I don't recommend it in normal games because it's most usefull in ranked if you see they have many CC.
Exhaust Ziggs has enough slow he can escape easily i really don't think that's a very good choice but it's ok if you can't hit your spells.
Clairvoyance It's a spell for support.
Promote just no.
- Rabadon's Deathcap There's not much to say about this item it's amazing for any ap carry and I recommend to always buy it.
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter Great item for Ziggs gives him sustain and it's passive is great for escaping chasing or just to help you hit your spells.
- Zhonya's Hourglass I like this item because many people will focus someone else when they see you activate it and they won't focus you back. You can pop your burst and activate it so your team can clean up. I really like it gives me more sustain and makes you even harder to focus.
- Lich Bane You can replace this item with another one because to autoattack you have to get closer so it makes you more vournerable. But I rly like it because if someone focuses you in teamfight you have more burst with lich bane and you can easily take him down and it's a great item for destroying turrest just throw a bomb and while they're trying to avoid it you hit the turret for bunch of dmg. By the way it stacks amazingly with your passive so try to use it with your passive when you can.
- Void Staff Ofcourse Void Staff for magic prenetration. It's a great item even if they aren't buidling a lot of magic resist because they have that initial magic resist without items or runes.
- Rod of Ages This is a nice item for more sustain and it's good early game because when you level up it heals you and restores some of your mana. I prefer Rylai's Crystal Scepter and Zhonya's Hourglass but you can replace it with one of those items if you want.
- Deathfire Grasp Nice item if you want more burst or if their team has a lot of HP.
- Archangel's Staff This is a good item for Ziggs because he is very mana hungry and when it's stacked it gives great amout of ap. I don't take this item in my primary build because Ziggs can easily take blue buff and his team should give it to him because he is an amazing poker. Without blue buff I don't spam spells and I maintain my mana but if you like to spam and can't maintain your mana feel free to buy this item. I would replace it with Lich Bane because I wouldn't take out Rylai's or Zhonya's Ziggs needs that sustain and Void Staff gives me magic prenetration.
- Morello's Evil Tome If you think the build is too expensive you can buy this instead of Archangel's Staff. It gives nice CD reduction wich is good for Ziggs and it gives nice amount of mana rengen.
- Will of the Ancients Ziggs is very mana hungry so he can't spam his abilities to benefit much from this item and he does AoE damage so he gets only 1/3 of spell vamp.
- Abyssal Scepter This item reduces magic resist of nearby enemies. YOU ARE ZIGGS. You have LONG RANGE SPELLS no need for this item. If you want magic resist rather buy Banshee's Veil then this.
Build 2 explanation
This may look like a troll build and early game it's not so good. First time i wanted to try it for fun and i had 21/5/8. I fed early game :(. But i was legendary later. This build is really strong in mid game and if you want to have fun try some strong crazy builds there's one. I know i said that i don't recommend Will of the Ancients for Ziggs but with Spirit Visage and Hextech Revolver that's nice amount of spell vamp. This build is crazy mana hungry so you need to have Archangel's Staff. I sell Hextech Revolverfor Lich Bane in the end when i have extra money. If the game goes even longer you can sell Spirit Visage and/or Will of the Ancients for Rylai's Crystal Scepter and/or Zhonya's Hourglass.
Short Fuse (Passive)- Every 12 seconds, Ziggs' next basic attack deals 13 + (7 x level) (+35% of ability power) bonus magic damage. This cooldown is reduced by 4 seconds whenever Ziggs uses an ability.
This is great for lane dominance use it with bouncing bombs early. Always keep in mind that your spells reduce its CD by 4 seconds. So try to hit with your passive then 2-3 spells then again hit with your passive.
Bouncing Bomb- Ziggs throws a bouncing bomb that deals magic damage.
Magic damage: 75 / 120 / 165 / 210 / 255 (+65% of ability power)
Cost: 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 / 100 mana
Cooldown: 6 / 5.5 / 5 / 4.5 / 4 seconds
Range of First Bounce: 850
This is Ziggs's main damage ability. It has long range + it bounces so it makes it great for poking. You can toss it between the minions. It's a great ability for farming and combining it with Hexplosive Minefield you can kill all of the wraiths without leaving lane.
Satchel Charge- Ziggs flings an explosive charge that detonates after 4 seconds, or when this ability is activated again. The explosion deals magic damage to enemies, knocking them away. Ziggs is also knocked away, but takes no damage.
Magic Damage: 70 / 105 / 140 / 175 / 210 (+35% of ability power)
Cost: 65 mana
Cooldown: 30 / 27 / 24 / 21 / 18 seconds
This is utility spell use it to knock yourself or the enemy. You can use it for chasing or escaping or just getting faster to some places. It also does damage but I don't throw it for damage often because it has long cd and it's a great escaping tool.
Hexplosive Minefield- Ziggs scatters 11 mines in an area, each that detonate on enemy contact, dealing magic damage and slowing. Enemies triggering a mine take half damage from additional mines and mines automaticaly disarm after 10 seconds.
Magic Damage of First Mine: 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+30% of ability power)
Cost: 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 / 120 mana
Cooldown: 16 seconds
Slow: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 %
A lot of people think this is a utility spell but it can do tons of damage if enemies walk into it and if they don't then you can easily zone them. It can also be helpfull to slow enemies so you can hit them with other spells easier.
Mega Inferno Bomb (ultimate)- Ziggs deploys his ultimate creation, the Mega Inferno Bomb, hurling it an enormous distance, Enemies in the primary blast zone take more damage than those further away.
Primary Magic Damage: 250 / 375 / 500 (+90% of ability power)
Magic Damage out of the primary zone: 187.5 / 281.25 / 375 (+67.5% of ability power)
Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 120 / 105 / 90 seconds
This is spell is something like Pantheon's ulti but it travels faster so it's harder to escape it and many people won't even try to get away from it because if you throw it just infront of them they usually keep running the same way. Use it in teamfights it does tons of damage and enemies are going to be focused on a teamfight so they won't try to dodge it. You can also use it to destroy the enemy that is focusing you because if you stay alive you can do more damage then if you ulti and die. The further away you throw it enemies have more time to dodge it.
Here is it's range
And here is the range of effect.
How to use Satchel Charge
If used corretly this is a great spell for chasing or escaping. It's bit harder to jump over some places but with pratcice you can jump over huge walls.
When chasing it's always better to knock the enemy back to you rather then knocking yourself towards them. If you can ofcourse because Satchel Charge doesn't have that long range and it's hard to knock the enemy back corretly but it slows them down pretty much and you can place them for your Hexplosive Minefield and ensure your kill. And if you knock yourself it wont get you as much closer to them as knocking them and if you knock them they will get further away from turret for example. But knocking yourself still helps. Keep in mind that you can't knock enemies over the wall so don't do that it's just a waist of spell and you wont be able to get to them then (if you don't have flash).
Here is a clip of Ziggs champion spotlight. At 2min 40s you can see how to take Blue buff and how to use Satchel Charge with Flash. And at 3min 40 seconds you can se how to force them to step on Hexplosive Minefield.
I almost always buy Doran's Ring first because you need that mana rengen to dominate that lane plus you get HP and AP from it. Althought Ziggs is a defensive champion who does damage from afar i play early game very aggressivly. Combining Short Fuse and Bouncing Bomb it does great amout of damage early game especially if you hit Hexplosive Minefield. If you are laning against an opponent with short range use it you will be able to zone him easily but alway be carefull if they have a jungler because if he is ganking it's going to be much harder to zone them. After Doran's Ring I usually get Boots of Speed, 2x Health Potion and 1x[[mana potion] you don't have to take that much potions if you can take blue buff no need for mana potions and if the enemy can't even touch you no need for health potions.
I don't know what to say much about mid game gameplay it's always situational you can start ganking now. When you gank it's good to put satchel charge in their brush so you can see them when they go in it. You neede to look at your map a lot so you can help with your Mega Inferno Bomb. In mid game my build is explained already. I buy Sheen with Short Fuse it gives me even more poking power. Ganks in mid could be starting so when there is someone missing always keep your Satchel Charge don't waste it because if they gank you only way for you to escape is with flash.
In late game teams will be poking a lot. That's where you come in you can poke them like crazy and that's what you do so if they want a teamfight they are going to have one with half HP wich makes it a lot easier to win. In teamfights stay back and throw your skills. NEVER throw Satchel Charge for damage in teamfights you need to interrupt for example Death Lotus or to escape if they are focusing you. Most of the time you don't want to autoattack too much unless you think they won't get you because your autoattacks have short range so you can get focused easier. You might ask why Lich Bane then. Well if they do focus you, you need more burst to get that enemy of your back. If your team has a lot of CC to keep enemies away from you, you can do more damage. And you do more damage on turrets.
Since Ziggs just came out i haven't been playing vs too many champion so i will but few of them now and how to lane vs them. I will update it so there will be more.
I usually hate laning vs LeBlanc her burst is just too much. But with Ziggs i can destroy her. At level 1 she will only have sigil of silence so her damage will be terrible so play aggresive. Later what most of LeBlanc players do is jump and burst the just repeat that few times to destroy you. An amazing thing to do with Ziggs is when she jumpes place your Hexplosive Minefield onto her initial place from wich she used Distortion so when she jumps back bunch of mines will be waiting for her. She will take tons of damage and probably give you an easy kill. Later she will know your tactic so she probably won't jump back but her abilities have long CDs and you can outdamage her with your Bouncing Bomb, Short Fuse Mega Inferno Bomb.
I just love laning vs him especially if they don't have a jungler. His spells have really short range and you can zone him like crazy. Even when he gets level 6 you will zone him so hard you will probably be 8 or 9. So when he is near the turret and wants to heal just place Hexplosive Minefield infrot of the minions so if he wants to heal he is going to have to step on them. If he does, there's one dead Swain. If he is playing aggressivly just put Hexplosive Minefield infront of you. You need to force him to go in it and if he doesn't just run around it he will lose his mana and you can easily outrange him.
I haven't been laning much vs him. But I hate him. He can silence, put a dot on me and just walk away. Worst thing about him is his ulti i hate it. Ziggs is very squishy so malz can kill him with his combo easily and you can't dodge his ulti :(. Ziggs is very squishy champ and Malzahar can flash ulti and destroy you.
That's it I hope you'll like Ziggs the way I do. I hope this build helps you and pls vote and comment it so I can improve it because it is my first guid and i'm new at this.
Ty very much to MissMaw. She helped me a lot, gave me the link to JhoiJho's guide to making a guide. Here is a link if you want to check it out.