Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Advertisements In Video Games

Creator: Blowfeld September 25, 2011 7:19am
1 2 3
Blowfeld
<Editor>
Blowfeld's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 7:19am | Report
I have just skimmed through a brief article at IGN that caught my attention and made me think a little.
To summarise it in short, it discusses the use of ingame ads to help finance games and to create a more believable environment.

I am quite sure that with the rising acceptance of gaming culture in our society the medium "game" will be become more and more attractive for placing advertisements.

What might to seem annoying and a horrible idea in the first place also offers some upsides as well.

On the down side nobody wants a "McHutKing" ad popping up on the side of his screen every five minutes nor do you want the walls of an ancient castle to be plastered with softdrink ads.
If ingame advertisement becomes too obvious or de-placed it can ruin your gaming experience.
Also paying full price for an ad- filled product might feel unpleasant as you do not get a direct benefit out of your confrontation with advertising.

On the other hand it can ad more realism and give you the benefit of cheaper content.
Playing a soccer game with imaginative sponsors at the walls is not as much fun and authenticity as playing the same game with real big brands mentioned. Also this sponsoring would maybe allow the company to buy some access to the right to use real team names / player names.
Also smaller companies could benefit from the sponsor boost to release more polished products and bigger companies could give you free DLC sponsored by "company X" or release a downloadable version of a game for maybe 10% discount if you play the version with ads included.

I am interested in your opinion to the topic in general. Do you disagree with ads in general? Would it be ok for you to see a developer promote another product he wants to publish in an options menu? Would you like to play a game where once you completed it you would receive a bonus code for a discount on a product? Would you accept ads in a moba game if you would receive free champs for that?
I believe that right now out there are a lot of market researchers asking the same questions and would like to know your point of view as I believe that the future of video gaming will be connected to ads but it is us- the players- to ensure that it is done the right way by giving feedback either as statements or by buying/ avoiding ad related gaming media.
Fox Rage wrote:
Blowfeld. Best Party Wrecker Worldwide.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 8:21am | Report
If I'm playing a racing game or soccer, I'd love to see real brands ads there. It makes things more realistic. There are some ads in Crysis 2, but I think they aren't real. So a real ad would be nice since you are in the city.

But if I'm playing a game like Aion or WoW, if a Coke ad would ruin the game.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 8:33am | Report
It's fine in context, for example if I walk past a drink machine in a game I really don't care if it's for a made up drink or for coke, or if there are advertisment boards they might as well be for real life stuff since it makes no difference.

If they are in the loading screen, out of context, or forced into your face, no. If I hear a game has that in I probably won't buy it, because it's a clear indicator the devs/publishers care more about money than gameplay experience.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 11:19am | Report
i really feel sorry for xbox users, since besides paying money for online they recently decided to cram it full of ads.

and then if you liked an ad you saw you can send it to your twitter which will link it for everyone who wants to see. its disgusting.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 11:28am | Report
Buisness needs advertising..Why not use games? Of course silly advertisements like Trojan Condoms in halls of a medieval castle would be awkward, something so obvious and out of place would instantly ruin a game for me. But I have no real problem with the idea of advertising in games. As long as I'm not forced to watch an ad in a game, sit through lines of diolouge where a name drop occurs when it is so completely out of place. IE in the middle of a duel between a couple Zombie Hookers.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 11:41am | Report
caucheka wrote:

i really feel sorry for xbox users, since besides paying money for online they recently decided to cram it full of ads.

and then if you liked an ad you saw you can send it to your twitter which will link it for everyone who wants to see. its disgusting.

Paying for a secure service is a crime...PS3 is so much better though because it's free and its network (PSN) has yet to be hacked and knocked off line for 3 months+...OH WAIT!!!

I love my Xbox, it's worth every penny I pay for it to use its online services. I've never had an issue with XBL and the benefits I recieve for the small price of 50 bucks ONCE A YEAR are exponetially worth more than the price to access them.

There some sort of jaded belief that free is always better, it's not. Nothing in life is free and anything that is isn't as good as the competition you have to pay a little extra for. The money paid for XBL has allowed it to expand into a broader and much more fulfilling experience than it was at release. How's Play Station Home? From what I've seen and played it's a token experience.

I like both systems, I have experience with both online networks. For me Xbox is the better of the 2 and it's because Microsoft feels obligated to provide a more rewarding experince to it's customers because they pay for the service. PSN offers you the similar, but the fact still remains "free network was hacked" and "paid network has yet to be touched".

This is mostly opinion and as I lways say "to each their own" I'm not trying to insight a fanboy riot, nor am I insinuating that anyone here is a fanboy. Just the idea that I'm making a statement based on my knowledge and experince of both netwroks.

Additionally the advertising is predominantly seperate from game content. Mostly a 5 second blurb about Sprint every few videos you choose to watch off the marketplace or inside xbox tabs. Watch out now, them 5 second spots are interfering with mai vidja gaming. < sarcasm
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 11:43am | Report
caucheka wrote:

At least I dont use that xbox live thing, its not worthy here.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 12:03pm | Report

Paying for a secure service is a crime...PS3 is so much better though because it's free and its network (PSN) has yet to be hacked and knocked off line for 3 months+...OH WAIT!!!

I love my Xbox, it's worth every penny I pay for it to use its online services. I've never had an issue with XBL and the benefits I recieve for the small price of 50 bucks ONCE A YEAR are exponetially worth more than the price to access them.

There some sort of jaded belief that free is always better, it's not. Nothing in life is free and anything that is isn't as good as the competition you have to pay a little extra for. The money paid for XBL has allowed it to expand into a broader and much more fulfilling experience than it was at release. How's Play Station Home? From what I've seen and played it's a token experience.

I like both systems, I have experience with both online networks. For me Xbox is the better of the 2 and it's because Microsoft feels obligated to provide a more rewarding experince to it's customers because they pay for the service. PSN offers you the similar, but the fact still remains "free network was hacked" and "paid network has yet to be touched".

This is mostly opinion and as I lways say "to each their own" I'm not trying to insight a fanboy riot, nor am I insinuating that anyone here is a fanboy. Just the idea that I'm making a statement based on my knowledge and experince of both netwroks.

Additionally the advertising is predominantly seperate from game content. Mostly a 5 second blurb about Sprint every few videos you choose to watch off the marketplace or inside xbox tabs. Watch out now, them 5 second spots are interfering with mai vidja gaming. < sarcasm

right because microsoft totally can't be hacked and paying 50 dollars for the same service you get for free is totally worth it. not to mention psn isnt as ad ridden as xbl.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 12:27pm | Report
Yeah, I really just see forcing people to pay to play online as money grabbing ********. Which it is. I own both consoles and the online services are exactly the same, except one is free and one is not.

What's worse is people who defend it.

Also, in my country xbox live is about £40, which I believe is around $80.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 25, 2011 12:37pm | Report
its about 61.60 actually..
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide