Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Android History

Creator: Searz July 25, 2012 3:48pm
22 posts - page 2 of 3
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 7:26pm | Report
I'm pretty sure that what broke on the SIII both times is the glass.

I don't believe you actually can.. The apps are part of the ROM and cannot be removed without Flashing.
There's also a lot of cosmetic changes, most of which I actually think look worse.
Bottom line: you can't get a bloat-free Android without hastle if you're not buying a Nexus phone.
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2012 7:43pm | Report
Yeah, you're right, the gorilla glass was shattered as well. It's probably because it's much thinner than 1 mm like in the tests you showed.

My brother rooted his phone last week (same phone as me) and removed pretty much all the extra apps that came with the phone. You can completely change the UI as well, apps like golauncher let you do that. You can even get the 4.0 UI in 2.3
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 4:54am | Report
Gorilla Glass 2 should have the same strength as 1 while being 20% thinner. So I'm guessing it's some manifacturing problem that made it break.

Well I don't know how it works with Huwaei phones, but I think that other manifacturers like Samsung put programs in the ROM. And I don't think you can remove those without flashing (ROM = Read Only Memory, thus not writable).
I also doubt you can change the entire UI. There's just soooo many things that change between UIs. Even if you can I think you'll be running 2UIs then, won't you? One at the bottom and one as an overlay/layer on top of that one.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 5:40am | Report
just search s3 drop test and you'll find several videos from different people with the same results.

You're not able to change the default programs if the phone is not rooted. The moment you root your phone you're able to change everything you want, which is why it also voids the warranty. As long as you back it up before rooting you can always restore the system and they won't know you rooted it though.

And to use android's default interface:
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/mobile/how-to-switch-stock-android-user-interface-phone/
I'm not sure if it runs on top of the default UI, but I doubt it since you can easily disable it.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 2:20pm | Report
It seems there's either something wrong with the Gorilla Glass or they just got cheap and used some other glass on some shipments. Kinda like they did with the Nexus S a while back. They changed the screen from AMOLED to SC-LCD on the Nexus S 4G without mentioning it.

OOH, AWESOME
That means you can run most things like default even on other brands without running an overlay. I did not know that that was possible.
Still, you won't get updates to newer Android versions unless you flash them in yourself, which is kind of a big deal imo.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 2:48pm | Report
Are you sure you don't get updates with a rooted phone? I know you wont get them if you have a different ROM, but just rooting shouldn't really change much..
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 3:59pm | Report
OOOOOOOooo, loving the changes in the music app and in the browser. Made me uninstall my previous browser of choice; Dolphin Browser HD.
Just make sure you go into the browser settings and enable fullscreen and quick menu, both under the "Labs" category.
THE QUICK MENU IS AWESUM
And the browser is now soo incredibly fast and smooth.

<3 Android 4.1

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 4:02pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Are you sure you don't get updates with a rooted phone? I know you wont get them if you have a different ROM, but just rooting shouldn't really change much..

You do get them, but you only get the updates your manifacturer releases for your phone. Loads of phones will never get Android 4.0 simply because they got released with an older version and the manifacturer doesn't wanna spend time developing the new versions. This is often the case with cheaper phones.

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 4:56pm | Report
yeah, but you can just not choose a phone that's going to get updated. Before getting my huawei I made sure it would get updated in the near future. It does take a while to release the new version each time though, but I'll live with it.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 26, 2012 5:05pm | Report
There's also the case that the manifacturer might introduce bugs with their add-ons and they might not allow you to update every bug-fix patch.
For example: most phones with Android 4 use 4.0.3, while I was sitting on 4.0.4 for a few months until I got 4.1.1.
There's also a lot of phones sitting on 2.3.3 while Android 2.3 goes as far as 2.3.7.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide