Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

DPI?

Creator: B-Wong March 1, 2012 11:08pm
30 posts - page 3 of 3
1 2 3
What DPI do you guys play at?
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 10:08am | Report
Dotter wrote:

I'm probably between 1000-1500, perhaps even higher. Some people think my mouse is rather sensitive, so might be around 2000? :p

I'm not sure, is what I'm trying to say.

You probably have the terrible thing called mouse acceleration on.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 10:29am | Report
I seriously can't use a mouse with mouse acceleration on. It's ****ing horrible.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
virago
<Member>
virago's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 12:17pm | Report
Searz wrote:

I seriously can't use a mouse with mouse acceleration on. It's ****ing horrible.

Seconded.
Thank you to our Veteran member jhoijhoi for this signature
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 12:33pm | Report
I'm on 1800. Could go for 3500 but it goes too fast, and learning it takes time! :(
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 1:40pm | Report
Precision is better on lower DPI. Just sayin'.

I don't see how one could play at 5000+ tho. You guys sure you're not using 5000+DPI but having lower sensitivity settings in games/windows and such?
"Well, basically you should treat me like a prostitute." - TotalBiscuit
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 2:06pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Precision is better on lower DPI. Just sayin'.

I don't see how one could play at 5000+ tho. You guys sure you're not using 5000+DPI but having lower sensitivity settings in games/windows and such?

Yea 5000 dpi is like moving across the screen in less than a centimeter. I don't know how people play with that but I guess they mess with driver sensitivity (which changes accuracy of the mouse) and default sensitivity (also ****s with the mouse).

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 3:56pm | Report
driver sensitivity/dpi does not change the accuracy of the mouse at all. It actually does exactly the same thing as the windows mouse sensitivity. What changes the accuracy of the mouse is the polling rate.
The polling rate determines how many "samples" the mouse takes per second. The DPI/sensitivity just changes how much "space" there is between each sample. Changing your DPI or your windows sensitivity does exactly the same thing, and it does not affect the polling rate at all so it cannot affect the accuracy of your mouse.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 3:58pm | Report
Yea, that^.
You seem to know what you're talking about.

It would seem like people with unusually high DPI use it because they're misinformed.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 6:19pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

driver sensitivity/dpi does not change the accuracy of the mouse at all. It actually does exactly the same thing as the windows mouse sensitivity. What changes the accuracy of the mouse is the polling rate.
The polling rate determines how many "samples" the mouse takes per second. The DPI/sensitivity just changes how much "space" there is between each sample. Changing your DPI or your windows sensitivity does exactly the same thing, and it does not affect the polling rate at all so it cannot affect the accuracy of your mouse.

I worded it wrongly by using accuracy but in a way that word also makes sense. Polling rate does increase the accuracy by making sure the cursor is picking up as many samples per second but the point I'm trying to get across is completely different. Messing with sensitivity settings on the drivers/windows ticker changes the way the dpi works with sensitivity. For example at the maximum ticker the mouse is going 2x faster than your dpi but instead of going over each and every single pixel, it's skipping a pixel to achieve this effect. At lowest windows setting it's picking up half as many pixels. Too lazy to find out what the middle ones are but I'm pretty sure that's right. I'm not sure how driver sensitivity interacts with the DPI, though. It might vary from mouse to mouse.

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2012 6:52pm | Report
Hmm, your probably right. So going over 6/11 in windows will make you skip pixels and therefore lose precision but won't affect the polling rate. If you go under 6/11 it'll be skipping "samples" instead
EDIT: I just tried to use low sensitivity and higher DPI and honestly I don't notice any difference. With higher sensitivity and lower DPI it becomes incredibly noticeable that it is indeed skipping pixels if you try it on paint. However, I don't even notice the difference if I'm not drawing with the mouse.
Oh, and some mice might have some problems when you go over 4000 DPI and will have some small gaps while tracking.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide