Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Lets Talk About The Fine Bros

Creator: Ninja Trigger February 1, 2016 3:29am
1 2
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 3:29am | Report
So most of you have probably heard about the Fine Bros, they are the ones that make those famous reaction videos like Elders React to "insert something young and hip, like twerking" or Kids React to "something old like VHS Tapes, or the original GameBoy" and just film their reactions for entertainment.

Well they just released this video a few days ago

And it has YouTube going crazy and their subscriber base is falling fast! With some sources saying as many as 32 subscribers per minute! and a ton of other YouTubers have already made videos talking about it, and what it could mean for the future of YouTube if their new network becomes successful.

I have linked a few other videos talking about it below

More Videos

So what are your opinions on the matter?
Sig by Janitsu
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 3:43am | Report
as far as I understand it, they are allowing random people to use their branding(and some other resources) for a part of the revenue, and I don't really see what the issue with that is.
I don't watch their videos, so knowing from knowing roughly what kind of content they make and having watched the two videos they made about the matter, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Everyone seems to think that they are trying to copyright reaction videos, but that seems awfully like jumping to conclusions to me.
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 3:48am | Report
LOL this is pretty bad. Like I enjoy the Fine Bros react videos for giving attention to really awesome videos or ideas that I wouldn't have found otherwise. However, literally anyone could just take their format, give their own spin to it and call it their own. Asking people to give you money for taking something so simple is like trademarking the word "candy".

If they would advertise this format for free, people might actually have used the format and the react channels could support each other by advertising one another. Which in the end would give them extra profit anyway. By asking for money, they create a barrier for people to join in, which will make people that actually DO want to create a similar format go make their own thing.

I find that the FBE were getting fed up in their own ego anyway. The later videos I feel there is more bias, given more attention to certain opinions rather than others as well as asking questions in such a way that they are not neutral, especially in the videos with more serious discussion. They basically state what is wrong and what is right in their own questions whereas it is supposed to be their job to be neutral and let the guests or reactors or whatever tell their opinion freely.

So I am glad they are losing subscribers, maybe they will learn a thing or two from it.

Also this

Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 3:54am | Report
For those looking for a bit more background info on this, there's a pretty detailed post on what they (supposedly) did wrong here: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43bqa1/lets_not_just_yell_about_the_react_trademark_lets/czh3w9f

In the end, this conversation very much boils down to how much people trust The Fine Brothers. In theory, they could use this trademark the exact way they say they are planning to, without taking down any videos that aren't similar to their formats and as such allowing other reactors to still create their own content without the help of FBE.

Their actions, however, seem to be speaking against this (for reference, check out the Ellen video in the link I just posted and remember that that - in their eyes - was similar enough to their own format for them to consider it "stolen"), which is why they're losing a ton of subs atm.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 3:55am | Report
Uhh. Am I missing the part that explains why they are dropping in sub base rapidly? This honestly doesnt even sound like a bad idea. I've enjoyed their videos. I'm sure a lot of people do. Having outside sources legally use their format in other countries (that might not speak english, or really get why these reactions are funny) seems like an alright idea.

@mastrer, nah. And why would you wanna do that anyway? Finebros is honestly the only way I've seen to do that style of video and it didnt suck (because they use older people or children, or whatever who are less likely to fake their reactions).
Essentially, they are copyrighting their show like TV shows do, as they explained.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 4:25am | Report
They're dropping in sub base because it blew up, and basically because of what mastrer said. I mean they released a video explaining what they're doing themselves and people immediately got ****ty because "IM NOT ALLOWED TO REACT ON YOUTUBE WHAT IS THIS HOW DARE YOU SONY DID THIS WITH LETS PLAY IM INSULTED." (Sony actually tried very very recently but failed.) What they're doing is definitely wrong, but if you look at the subs counter they've probably lost 100000 subs out of 14 MILLION total.

Basically MOBAFire.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 4:30am | Report
I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

You shouldn't.
They've been doing some pretty shady ****, as explained in the link Wayne provided:
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43bqa1/lets_not_just_yell_about_the_react_trademark_lets/czh3w9f
Wayne3100 wrote:
In the end, this conversation very much boils down to how much people trust The Fine Brothers.

You know what bothers me the most about this? Finding out that they've been making sponsored videos for years without marking their videos as such. I'm fairly certain this is illegal in many parts of the world (know it is in the UK, not sure about US). I've always been suspicious when they've made videos on big movies/music/other stuff that seem kind of like commercials (they got sponsored by Disney to promote Star Wars for example, as explained in the link). I commented about it on a few occasions, but I'm pretty sure my comments got deleted. Their 40-man censorship brigade doing their work I suppose (not kidding, read link)..
"Well, basically you should treat me like a prostitute." - TotalBiscuit
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 4:35am | Report
Ok yeah. Now that Ive watched a few videos on this topic and informed myself a bit. This is some ****ed up ****. I believe one person referred to what they are doing as "Racketeering"? Not sure what that mans but it sounds like something shady.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 4:35am | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:
I find that the FBE were getting fed up in their own ego anyway. The later videos I feel there is more bias, given more attention to certain opinions rather than others as well as asking questions in such a way that they are not neutral, especially in the videos with more serious discussion. They basically state what is wrong and what is right in their own questions whereas it is supposed to be their job to be neutral and let the guests or reactors or whatever tell their opinion freely.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. I usually agree with their angle, but it definitely feels wrong when they do that stuff.
Searz wrote:
You know what bothers me the most about this? Finding out that they've been making sponsored videos for years without marking their videos as such. I'm fairly certain this is illegal in many parts of the world (know it is in the UK, not sure about US). I've always been suspicious when they've made videos on big movies/music/other stuff that seem kind of like commercials (they got sponsored by Disney to promote Star Wars for example, as explained in the link). I commented about it on a few occasions, but I'm pretty sure my comments got deleted. Their 40-man censorship brigade doing their work I suppose (not kidding, read link)..

Also, on this note: I'd like to call out a an example of how to do it perfectly. Jesse Cox has a series literally called Jesse Sells Out, with a thumbnail containing a drawing of him bathing in money(or variations of that). It doesn't get anymore clear than that. The viewer knows exactly what they're getting themselves into.

Here's the thumbnail of his latest entry:
"Doing something, almost being done, then parents come in and don't let you finish.
Yes, I had a rough childhood." - devdevil
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2016 5:07am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
For those looking for a bit more background info on this, there's a pretty detailed post on what they (supposedly) did wrong here: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43bqa1/lets_not_just_yell_about_the_react_trademark_lets/czh3w9f

In the end, this conversation very much boils down to how much people trust The Fine Brothers. In theory, they could use this trademark the exact way they say they are planning to, without taking down any videos that aren't similar to their formats and as such allowing other reactors to still create their own content without the help of FBE.

Their actions, however, seem to be speaking against this (for reference, check out the Ellen video in the link I just posted and remember that that - in their eyes - was similar enough to their own format for them to consider it "stolen"), which is why they're losing a ton of subs atm.

aaand there goes the benefit of doubt.
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide