Twitch Build Guide by utopus
Recommended Runes + Notes
Ability Sequence + Notes
Welcome to Utopus' Twitch guide!
I am a 1475 ELO player. I have been having much success in ranked games, and I have been climbing the ladder very quickly ever since i started playing Season 3 ranked, 2 weeks ago. I am the designated jungler on my ranked team, "Anthrax Sandwich"
Here are my stats:
The following document is a guide for beginners/intermediate level Twitch players who wish to improve their gameplay! I will help you learn how to play twitch as as an AD carry.
Twitch, is often misconceived to be a troll player, where in reality, Evelynn is really the troll character ;)
In this guide, you will learn many strategies used by pro Twitch players, and myself. Although the first couple games as twitch may be difficult like the first games played with any character, once you get the hang of him, you'll be triple/quadra killing people in no time! =)
As a side note, If you disagree with my reasoning or decisions for any part of this guide, PLEASE tell me! I love hearing different opinions on things! Leave a comment, send me a PM, or e-mail me at email@example.com
Pros / Cons
+Really long range abilities
+Venom Cask and Expunge make it easy to catch runners
+Very Strong harasser
+Potential for tons of damage to an entire team!
+Mastering twitch makes you a better player.
+Outduels most other carries
-Brings little CC to fights
-TWITCH IS NOT TANKY!
-Reliant on a decent team composition for effective use
-Gets focused in team fights, if he's too close
-No quick escape spells (besides Flash)
-Cannot lane bottom without a support
-Early game is nothing special
-Gets messed up by assassins
|Flat Attack damage is really the way to go. As with most AD carries, attack damage/level ( Greater Mark of Scaling Attack Damage) and attack speed runes ( Greater Mark of Attack Speed) just don't quite do the same damage.|
|Because you are twitch, and you already have ungodly low amounts of armor and Magic resist, I Strongly suggest you use Greater Seal of Armor for armor.|
In addition to having low armor, Twitch also has really low magic resist. Twitch has enough trouble surviving already! Getting Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist gives twitch more sustainability against those pesky AP champions!
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist is a fine alternative as well.
|Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage Yields a strong early game damage boost. You can capitalize on this to increase the damage from your expunge, harass, and farm capabilities.|
|Running Greater Quintessence of Life Steal yields an early game advantage, but in a different sort of way. Running 3 of these quintessences allows for faster recovery of hitpoints after trades. With this in mind, these quintessences are best for twitch when he has a poke support that likes to trade often. While these quintessences limit your burst capabilities early game, they make it easier to stay in lane, and force your opposing lane to recall more often.||[nextcom]|
Following the twitch rework, I firmly believe that 21/9/0 is THE way to go with twitch. The extra health, damage reduction, and health regen allows you to more favorably trade with your opposing laners - especially if you use Greater Quintessence of Life Steals!
Another possible mastery tree to consider may be as follows:
Viable Summoner Spells:
|Twitch, of all players should really have this ability. He has no other instant way of escaping a bruisers, like Kha'Zix, or Xin Zhao. Flash, if it doesn't get you safely away from an enemy champion, will usually give you enough time for your Ambush invisibility to come into effect. Flash is also good for chasing enemy runners, and escaping Kog'maw's Icathian Surprise, or to better reposition yourself in team fights (you will later find out that position is everything)|
You have more lee-way with your summoner spell. Heres what i think:
|A very strong summoner spell, and my personal preference. While it drops off late game, Ignite is most effective to securing kills during your laning phase, just in case you think the enemy champion will flash away. Ignite + your Expunge usually gives you a kill if the enemy has many poison stacks. An extra kill early game goes a long way|
This is another strong summoner spell to get. Cleanse will remove some of your early game kill potential, because you cannot grab Ignite. However, cleanse gives you a much stronger dueling presence. Not taking cleanse in high level play can be harmful to your laning phase. Not taking cleanse means that in a bot lane fight, an ADC can nullify the effects of your ignite, and your supports' exhaust, while you will take the full duration of Exhaust.
Later in the game, Cleanse helps you deal with any extra CC that an enemy can throw at you.
|Another Strong Defensive Summoner Spell. Twitch has difficulty kiting bruisers compared to other carries. This Summoner spell is great to give you an extra defensive boost to help survive any burst.|
|Deadly Venom: Twitch's basic attacks infect the target, dealing 2/4/6/8 damage every second for 6 seconds. Stacks up to 6 times.|
- The effectiveness of twitch's abilities varies on the amount of stacks of Deadly Venom an opponent has on them.
|Ambush: After 1.25 seconds, Twitch becomes invisible for 4/5/6/7/8 Seconds. While stealthed, twith gains 20% bonus movement speed. If twitch attacks a unit while stealthed, he gains 30/40/50/60/70% Attack Speed for 5 seconds|
This is one of twitch's core spells. Early game, this ability implements an effective jungle invasion. It serves as an escape spell and a decent initiator.
- Use this early game to check bushes
- Middle game, this ability allows for escapes, easy ganks, relatively safe lane pushing, and excellent map awareness.
- Late game, this spell allows for ridiculously high DPS thanks to its attack speed buff, continued map awareness, escapability, and positioning for your Spray and Pray
- note: Avoid roaming if the other teams has started to buy excessive pink wards and oracles. This usually applies late game, but can apply mid game as well
|Venom Cask: Twitch hurls a cask of venom that explodes in an area, adding 2 stacks of Deadly Venom, and slowing targets hit by 25/30/35/40/45% for 3 seconds.|
This ability gives twitch a very heavy slow, which is great for getting a couple more hits off on your enemies, and then picking them off with your Expunge.
- Keep in mind that Venom Cask has an incredibly long range. If you feel safe, you can use this to slow any enemies that are chasing one of your teammates, too.
- This ability resets your autoattack timer, giving you the ability to outduel many other carries during the early levels.
- Use this ability after trades to cause your Deadly Venom to reset its' duration. This is very important and can make a significant difference in trading.
|Expunge: Deals 40/50/60/70/80 physical damage to enemies infected with Deadly Venom. Expunge deals an additional 15/20/25/30/35 (+.2 Ability Power) (+.25 Bonus Attack damage) Physical damage per stack of Deadly Venom on them.|
This ability is HUGE for twitch! Expunge, at maximum stacks, can do around 300-400 damage to champions (armor accounted for), just in the early game. While this is insignificant late game, this chunks enemy champions in the early game. This is why I max this first; It best ensures that I get a kill early game
- Early game, this turns out to be a very strong way of harassing the opponents. it costs a lot of mana though , so try not to use it, unless you find yourself at full mana
- Effective at Kill-Stealing your allies' kills. I suggest taking the kill anyways; It's better to assure your team a kill, than even risk having the enemy Flash + Locket of the Iron Solari away at the last moment. Anyways, It really isn't considered kill-stealing, if the gold and experience is going to the AD carry now, is it? ;)
|Spray and Pray: For 7 seconds, Twitch gains 300 attack range, bonus 20/28/36 Attack Damage, and his basic attacks become piecing bolts that deal 20% less to subsequent targets, down to a minimum of 40% damage.|
Using this spell separates good Twitches from bad ones. This spell can easily lead to a quadra or a penta kill, and if not that, and easy win in a team fight. Conversely, using this spell poorly can lead to your death, and the loss of a game.
- This spell makes you have a longer attack range than turrets. Use this to push and knock down a low turret, if you think that you it's safe to do so.
- This ability merits its own section in the guide.
- In team fights, you can use this as a range extender to damage assassins from afar.
Skill Sequence: Leveling
My Skill sequence is usuallySpray and Pray whenever possible. The effect of this ultimate will change the direction of team fights - for good, or for bad. The use of this ult is so important, it merits its own section.
-I Put a point in on Ambush at level 4, because I just do not feel secure enough without my 4 second invisibility spell. It is an effective initiator into a bot lane fight, or as an escape spell. Putting a point in on W, allows you to more effectively use your ult, and chase down escapers during your laning phase in particular.
- If you are getting pressured against a kill lane, leading a jungle invasion, or need to facecheck brush, get Ambush at level 1.
-I max Expunge first, because it (in my opinion) most easily secures a kill. The range on your Expunge is huge, so if an enemy champion tries to run, you can just throw down an Ignite, then hit Expunge which more often than not, guarantees a kill, especially if you have a support that can do some damage
-Next I max Ambush, because the attack speed increase can be quite nice, especially around that time of the game. Additionally, this will give you more time to roam safely.
-I max Venom Cask last, to help me ('my team') finish off those pesky runners, and to help me kite bruisers and assassins in team fights. I Only need one point in Venom Cask at level 2, because it can set up ganks well, and its effect allows you to outduel most other ADC.
Choosing a Support: Abridged/Tl;DR
Thresh, Sona, Fiddlesticks, Nami, Lulu Alistar, Leona, Blitzcrank, Taric
Read The section below, for the reasons as to why i grouped individual champions in these tiers
Choosing a support
My starting build typically varies depending on the kind of support to have.
I rank my supports in their Ability to hard CC, tank damage, dual-sustain, and engage.
|Thresh is a really strong support for twitch. He offers good peel in team fights, gives twitch an escape ability, and unreliable, but very strong CC for twitch.|
- Death Sentence's passive provides noticeable early game damage. DON'T OVERLOOK THIS! Plus, the active provides a great displacement + stun on a target. If he lands this on a carry, it is devestating. Synergizes with Spray and Pray
- Dark Passage Gives a nice shield to help against harass, plus it gives you an escape mechanism. This is very helpful in team fights, and relocating to a more favorable position. While this is not as good as a heal during the laning phase, the shield seems to be good enough of a defensive boost. Dark Passage solves twitches' inability to escape from bruisers.
- Flay is a good CC. It yields good damage early game, that can also displace an enemy carry, making jungle ganks & duels in lane a lot easier. Late game, this is an amazing peel for you.
- The Box is a good CC. It deals good damage, and applies a nasty slow effect. The box synergizes well with Spray and Pray if thresh can box in several people.
|A great support. She is a force to be reckoned with early game. You and her will win most trades early game, beacause of her attack speed buffs. Late game, she most useful because of her ult, Crescendo. Her lane presence falls off hard after level 7, though due to her squishiness. Be sure to use her early level aggression to force opposing ADCs out of lane.|
- Her Aria of Perseverance will help heal both her, and you/ one of your buddies.
- Her Song of Celerity, although not quite as good as a shurelya's reverie, is quite effective for engaging/escaping fights, or just roaming. Early game, the on hit effects of this help set up jungle ganks well.
- Finally, her Hymn of Valor - her slow/damage debuff can be quite effective if she uses it well with her passive. Don't overlook it's early game damage
|Okay, bet you didn't see this one coming. Supportlesticks is actually one of the best supports for twitch, falling just behind Sona, and is approximately tied with Taric, because of his single target lock-down.|
- Terrify ensures that you can freely auto-attack the opposing carry for 3 seconds.
- Fiddlesticks has great self-sustain in lane, and can safely harass the carry bot with Dark Wind
- Deals noticeable damage with Drain and Crowstorm. Additionally, Drain is an effective way to tank & secure key objectives like dragon and baron.
|Your success laning with a Nami is totally based on skill. With an experienced nami, the lane will turn into a total kill lane. At worst, the lane is a passive farm lane. Her passive movespeed steroid will probably save your life a couple times.|
- Aqua Prison is a tough to land skillshot. However, it is an AoE stun that synergizes well with Spray and Pray. A nami that can land this spell will win team fights. Hitting this spell in lane will secure a kill, or force a flash.
- Ebb and Flow is a Damage/Healing ability. Early game, this will be her main contribution to duels. It provides a surprisingly strong heal, and some nice damage too. However, this ability does not scale well into the mid-late game.
- Tidecaller's Blessing gives you an attack steroid. It gives a slight damage boost for the late game, but is mostly used to help you duel the opposing carry during the laning phase.
- Tidal Wave offers good peel and kiting capabilities for team fights. Decent synergy with Spray and Pray.
- An experienced lulu will use Glitterlance well, harassing the opposing bottom lane, so you don't have to.
- In the early levels, Lulu/twitch lane will win trades in small pokes/exchanges. Avoid long, drawn out fights, until you are sure you have the upper hand due to good harassment!
- Help, Pix!: The shield this gives you pales in comparison to say, Janna's Eye Of The Storm, but it has more utility as early game harassment. Don't overlook the damage this can deal.
Late game, Lulu shines because of Wild Growth. It allows for any character she casts it on, to become substantially tankier for a short duration! Twitch loves the feeling of being tanky, especially if he doesn't have to buy any extra items!
|Leona's Sunlight can apply a nasty damage debuff on your targets, and she has good defenses. HOWEVER, keep in mind, that you are twitch, and you still do not have any sustain, this combination is typically very effective against a bottom lane that has not many ways to disengage.|
- Leona is a very strong support for twitch, but she is
Very hardto lane with. You two must play offensively, and have very good coordination! You must be ready and able and in position to hit any Champion Leona hits with her spells, while still being able to farm Creep score!!
- While Alistar is typically viewed as the king of CC, Leona's abilities can stun a single target for up to 3.25 seconds with Zenith Blade and Shield of Daybreak, and can stun a group for 1.5 seconds (with her ultimate, Solar Flare, which is technically more than Alistar can do.
|Great as a support. He makes up for his weak early game (1-3) with his ability to set-up future ganks well. Additionally, he has a noticable late game presence and acts as a fine offtank with Unbreakable Will|
- Absolutely Amazing CC: ~1 second stun on target + 1-1.5 second stun on AoE
- He can tank damage for you early game, and your team late game! Gotta love Unbreakable Will!
- Triumphant Roar acts as a dual-sustainer! =)
- He may run in to mana problems, though, so try and work with him by positioning yourself to be able to attack a carry in case he is able to land off a knocked airborne combo
|Blitzcrank is an amazing support. He can create a large zoning area by simply standing in brush. He can be built as an off-tank, except he helps secure kills exceptionally well. He has no sustain, but can engage early game fights well, and can help you commit to fights with his peeling power. We weary when playing champions with good poking power, like Caitlyn, Lulu, and Ezreal.|
- Rocket Grab yields excellent killing potential - early and late game. It wins games
- Being one of the best defensive supports in the game, he can make tower dives against you much harder than they should be. If your blitzcrank is good, he can Rocket Grab a carry/tank into your tower and force a Flash.
- Power Fist is an amazing CC that can also do excellent damage.
- Static Field Allows for AMAZING lockdown of AP carries, especially late game. This is especially good, since most assassins with mobility (like Katarina or Kassadin) cannot just jump in and kill you immediately
|LOVE him as a support. Possibly one of the best supports you can have, because of his good offensive and defensive buffs, stun, tankiness, and early game sustain. His nerfs to Dazzle allow him to get easily bullied by ranged supports in lane, however.|
- Dazzle allows you to get several stacks off of your target, and a possible kill if your jungler helps gank too!
- Imbue is amazing at sustaining you and him, and can have a short cool down relative to other supports; Especially early game.
- Shatter gives you tremendous amounts of armor (great for sustaining) and can give your enemies a nasty armor debuff, which can basically make your attacks deal them true damage in the early game. He has great late game presence, too, because he can Radiance, giving you extra attack damage. Who doesn't want free AD? I'll tell you who - the Sivir on the other team who is getting her socks rocked!
Nunu has a nice sustain, a very long slow Ice Blast, and a very nice attack speed/move speed buff with Blood Boil. Finally, his ult, Absolute Zero, forces opponents to either a) Focus fire on nunu, b) run like hell or in the unfortunate case of fighting against a soraka c) CC nunu; Be that as it may, all case, saving the last one, allow you to attack the enemy freely. Twitch Likes free hits.
If you can get him to tank the enemies' hits, he'll be an effective support. Easier said than done though.
|I put Soraka on the bottom of the strong support list because although her Astral Blessing and Infuse will mitigate a lot of damage, soraka has serious trouble sustaining two people unless both she and you play passively. I don't like this, because twitch deals so much damage, that i think i should capitalize on it, rather than use it to solely last-hit. Do not ask for her as a support if you are playing against a Leona, Blitzcrank, or anyone who can force you to commit to fights|
- Yes, her armor buff from her Astral Blessing helps a TON, but i do not view it as too much of a help, because a good team will notice the target of her heal, and then just switch targets.
- Her Infuse is quite good for spamming abilities, silencing the enemy, AND harassing the enemy! Twitch already has a fast mana regeneration, but the infinite mana from this ability means that he can safely AND effectively harass his enemy from afar! ( Venom Cask + Expunge is probably one of the safest, and most reliable harassment means against a non-sustainable opposing bot lane)
- Soraka's Wish changes games. It has saved so many of my teammates - me among them!
|A good support. Her Howling Gale knocks enemies airborne, which if coordinated right, will allow for massive damage. It also acts as a good disengage. The bad thing about Janna, is that she is incredibly squishy. Twitch isn't too tanky either. She cannot tank damage for you without risking her life as well.|
- If she uses her Zephyr's slow on an enemy too, the carry/support will likely have to pop their flash to escape the massive damage about to come, unless they have their support right there to peel for them a little.
- Eye Of The Storm allows you to effectively zone enemies, and gives you a large attack damage bonus, if you are lucky enough to get into a fight with them. It is difficult for a janna to always land an ideal shield, so if her skills as a janna support are in question, just play your lane safe.
- Monsoon, if well placed, can function to separate you from an enemy, or to separate an enemy from the rest of their team = free kill :) In the early game, this will protect you from tower dives.
Overall a very strong support; The only downside is that she has trouble dealing with burst lanes that have champs like Graves, Draven and Blitzcrank.
|Shen isn't really a "support", nor is it easy to lane with him. He can secure a kill easily with Shadow Dash + you + help from a jungler, but he is much better top. Regardless, having him on your team is an invaluable asset to you and your team.|
- Although his heals through Vorpal Blade could be quite good, your heals depend on the amount of damage you can deal. This means that it is difficult to regain health AND avoid pushing the lane.
- Although he may suffer a little late game due to possible lack of farm, his Shadow Dash taunt is quite effective
- You and your team are guaranteed a safer game, since his Stand United is global, and gives a nice shield!
Although with all of his buffs, I wouldn't see why he would go bot support, rather than solotop
|Yes, karma seems like an excellent supplement to twitch's laning phase, and end-game in particular. But Since she lacks reliable hard CC, and is pretty squishy herself, do not pick her vs burst lanes.|
- Karma's Gathering Fire synergizes well with the passivity of the bottom lane. Due to the occasional passivity of the bottom lane, karma can easily keep >1 stack of Mantra up.
- Inner Flame is a strong damaging ability in brawls in bottom lane, when your opposing laners are fighting you, and are forced to stay in the AoE of inner flame. It has a low cooldown too, so it can be spammed easily in lane for safe harassment. This may end up pushing your lane though
- Focused Resolve allows for effective disengages and chases. With twitches' low AA range pre-6 though, it won't have much offensive use in early fights that you have with her. If karma does not use this ability defensively, she is trying to set up a gank or kill.
- Inspire gives a good shield and can help you kite and disengage from fights. Take advantage of the temporary movespeed buff to distance yourself from bruisers in team fights, as it is difficult for twitch to kite against bruisers otherwise.
|I've always love having Kayle on my team. While she is best solotop, she still can be a support for twitch. For a while I firmly believed that supports should be able to dish out a reasonable sum of damage, too. And she can do that, especially if she has a strong early game. As un-kosher as it may be, you should consider giving her 5 or so CS, so she can buy a fast philosopher's stone as Kayle sometimes has mana/gold problems.|
Having a Kayle on your team will give you the most survivability, when facing some of your hard counters.
- Kayle lacks hard CC, but may make up for it in the amount of damage she can dish out to an enemy champion.
- Finally, her Intervention combined with the movement speed buff from Divine Blessing make it quite easy to escape from a team fight, help you commit to a fight, or in rare cases, help you get back into a fight.
- Finally, please look carefully at the duration of Intervention; 3 seconds of invulnerability is ~Huge~. 3 seconds is usually enough for twitch to mow everyone down, and to life-steal his way back up from near-death moments.
- Kayle lacks any hard CC; Other support champions have some sort of Area-of-Effect, team wide buff, or CC. Taric has Radiance, Sona has Crescendo, Janna has Monsoon, and even Soraka with Wish, they all have some sort of Area-of-Effect, team-wide Buff or CC.
- Kayle lacks the ability to effectively harass, or initiate in bottom lane, because of the short casting range of her Reckoning
- Much of her late game damage potential is lost, if she is denied farm
****ing Hilarious Supports:
|If you haven't seen this combo, prepare to laugh. I read on a forum that someone wanted to make a combo, where twitch would go Ambush, and zilean would cast his Time Bomb on him. So when you would run ( Ambushed, of course) next to the enemy champions, they would take a nasty nuke. This is quite literally 'stealth bombing'|
If you can make it to mid game easily, he turns out to actually be a pretty fun support. His ultimate allows you to come back to life after death. This proves to be useful, as it will allow you to survive any pounding enemy bruisers will do.
If you decide to play ranked with twitch, it can be quite difficult to have a good early game with twitch. If their jungler comes to gank, Ambush's short duration may cause you to run into some trouble - especially if someone on the opposing team brought a sight ward with them!
That's when your supports come to the rescue! Having an offensive support, like the ones I mentioned earlier, will allow you to push lane, and de-ward dragon to deny your opponents vision.
Should your support A) Suck, or B) choose a more passive playstyle, you should ask your jungler to hop in and gank often. NOTE: even if the enemy team knows that your jungler is coming, your jungler will force bottom lane to tower and allow you to de-ward areas of your lane.
With the new vision changes, twitches' Ambush has become more difficult to stop.
I strongly recommend harassing the enemy if you can. You can do this most easily if the enemy has a weak/passive support. I suggest that you only hit them when they come up to farm. This often lets you deal them damage, force them to miss CS, and lose life with very little cost to you. Try not to get too cocky though. If they are at low enough health so that you think that you can go in for the kill, back off for a little bit, and Ambush them. It usually works =)
Sometimes, you may want to play mind games with your opponents, and occasionally Ambush. Still, try to manage your mana well, though. Doing this will
Freak your opponents out, possibly making them lose CS, AND
make it easier for your jungler to set up ganks
~~Your starting Build~~
After early game is over, I suggest you get a B. F. Sword. This will increase your damage dramatically, especially if you were forced into using a more passive build. Then, I rush my Infinity Edge - After you get this item, your damage will spike. What's best about this item, is that if you use it with your ult and crit, Spray and Pray, Twitch will apply critical strike damage to every enemy he crits. Yes, that's right - Everyone. This means you can tear apart the enemy AP carry, and AD carry, and Support. Of course you can hurt the bruisers too, but they are still difficult to deal with, especially late game.
~~Your Core Build~~
I suggest getting Infinity Edge + Statikk Shiv and then getting a defensive item like Banshee's Veil or Guardian Angel or Mercurial Scimitar - only building into Last Whisper once my opponents start building significant amounts of armor. Any of the above three core items yield a massive spike in your damage output.
|: This is your main damage dealer. This dramatically increases the critical strike damage you do, give a likable amount of CSC, and a fat amount of damage!|
|Okay. This item is okay for twitch. It gives twitch a team-wide armor stacking debuff, extra health, attack damage, and a small yet still significant amount of armor penetration. It synergizes well with Spray and Pray. The reasons why this item isn't always optimal is because for twitch, it will take a significant amount of time for the armor reduction debuff to really add up, and because twitch simply cannot use the Cooldown reduction as well as some other carries. Champions build into The Black Cleaver because it's a rather inexpensive upgrade path after one buys The Brutalizer. However, this item isn't particularly good for twitch. The Brutalizer's strength comes in the early game, and twitch just simply lacks the damage needed in order to make this item dominate opposing laners. However, it is important to note that it works very well if you have an AD bruiser that could also capitalize on the armor penetration - like Darius, Lee Sin, Jayce, Zed, or Kha'Zix|
|GOOD It is inexpensive, gives you a small amount of AD, but is effective at what it does - it helps you shred tanks. It makes the armor stacking they do next to useless. Being probably the only person on your team who can deal consistent, sustained damage, it is ultimately your responsibility to drop tanks. While they are obviously not your first priority, you will need this item, or The Black Cleaver to really shred down the effectiveness of their defensive items. I start itemizing for this right immediately when i see two or more people on the enemy team starting to buy armor|
Strong! Everyone's been there. The enemy team has a fed-to-the-heavens corporate mundo, that has a full tank build with 4.5k health, 170 armor, and somehow, as much AD as you. This is my solution, friends. It is the king of tank shredders. The passive will give you a noticeably high amount of life back, and the base stats on the item aren't bad either and really hurt that mundo! The cost effectiveness of this item sharply decreases the less tankiness the opposing team runs, though.
Every single stat on this item works well for twitch. The passive of this item synergizes very well with Spray and Pray. However, the true beauty of this item is the item's active. The active on this item makes twitch a true terror during the end of the laning phase. The active from Blade of the Ruined King gives twitch a large amount of burst damage during the early game, and gives him that little extra edge of damage needed for twitch to easily secure kills. Additionally, this item scales well into the mid/late game for twitch, offering both offensive, and defensive stats necessary for twitch. The large burst of damage/healing/MS steal allows for twitch to more easily survive assassin's bursts, kite bruisers, and more easily re-position twitch in team fights. This is especially helpful, since twitch has no dash abilities.
|Good! Bloodthirster gives you a nice amount of life steal and damage. If you get this item early game, it allows you to stay in lane forever, and also trade well with the opposing lane, with the spike of AD it gives you. Getting this early game allows you to safely and easily charge up the stacks, so that the bloodthirster will have max stacks by the time you get into the mid game and start team fighting. If/When you are targeting an enemy who has Thornmail, it will neutralize the amount of life you gain. This best shines in team fights, when you choose to Spray and Pray however. EACH target you hit will leech some of your life back! This allows twitch to sustain a little in team fights, if he isn't CC'ed. There have been situations where my health bar has literally gone from two bars, to eighteen bars, and back again several times!|
|Gives you a spell shield every 45 seconds. This spell shield gives you protection from Rocket Grab, Dazzle, or any other Crowd control spell, that could easily allow you to be focused. Additionally, the MR this item gives helps negate damage dealt from Thornmail, and gives you a layer of protection against nuke champions like Veigar and LeBlanc, both of whom have either the mobility, or the CC to take you down, otherwise. Also gives health, which is something that never hurts on a twitch :)|
- If you cast your Ambush right before you die, you can resurrect already stealthed!
|GOOD A rather standard item for an AD carry. I buy it late game, because any extra mobility I can get my hands on helps greatly! The extra mobility allows you to more easily Ambush away, if you get caught in an awkward situation in addition to better positioning myself in team fights. This also gives me a +30% Critical Strike Chance, which always works well with my ultimate. The Attack Speed buff from Phantom Dancer yields is just another perk :)|
|This item is about as good as Phantom Dancer. I buy a zeal during the mid-game and upgrade it to stattik shiv by the end game. While it does not offer as useful barebone stats as phantom dancer its passive offers great splitpushing power, a nice source of alternative damage during team fights which both make up for its lower stats. I get this item if my team composition is either imbalanced damage source (AD excessive e.g.), or if my team has nobody with great splitpushing powers ( Nasus, Singed)|
OTHER ITEMS YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER:
Against an AP heavy team:
|GOODThis item is especially great against AP champions, because it gives some cheap, early magic resist. It also gives tenacity, so any CC's those AP carries may throw at you will be much less effective at stopping you!|
|GOODHexdrinker is a very effective Item against an AP heavy team. The extra shield you get helps a lot with surviving those pesky Requiems, or surviving Leblanc's Mimic. As for Maw of Malmortius, I would actually suggest against getting this unless absolutely necessary; Although maw's passive is AWESOME, I find that I don't live long enough for the AD bonus to make the difference, should I be focused. Plus Maw itself is too expensive for what it's worth.|
good Great! we can have a cleanse once every 90 seconds! This item can be O.K. if the enemy team is stock full of CC's ( Vladimir, Urgot, Warwick, Malzahar, and Skarner), but teams usually do not run that much control. With that in mind, you must ask yourself, "is it really worth cleansing out of this 1 second stun? How much more time attacking would I Really save if I cleansed through this stun (accounting for Latency and Reaction)?"
The answer is, NOT MUCH! I tend to refrain from buying this unless their team has >1 suppressors.
Lastly, get this when you are playing against a Mordekaiser... and keep that pinky glued that that '1' button for his Children of the Grave.
|GOOD I usually never get this item, because I don't like the idea of on-hit twitch. However, the extra on-hit effect simply cannot be overlooked, since it can synergize quite well with Spray and Pray. Hitting the enemy with spray and pray will give you (almost instantly) the 4 magic resist stacks Wit's End gives. In other words, you will effectively get 50 Magic resist from this item, plus a fair amount of damage, and a fair amount of attack speed, for a nice sum of gold. Note that this will not benefit your Life steal as well as other items will|
Against AD heavy teams
|Situational While I don't like stacking too much health on an ADC, I have to say that this item is just too good to not consider. This item does best against teams which have a bruiser with sustained damage (vlad, singed), because the extra life you get gives you a little cushion to survive thanks to your Spray and Pray lifeleech. While it depends on how fed the enemy bruisers are, Warmog's can even be effective against people like Xin Zhao, or Lee Sin. Avoid getting this item against burst champions. Many times, the burst damage, combined with the bruiser CC and damage will likely still be enough to kill you anyway|
below average gives a nice slow debuff, an enormous amount of health, and a paltry amount of damage. I do not necessarily like this item, because between red buff, and Venom Cask, I usually feel as though Twitch has enough slow. Nonetheless, the large volume of health this item yields makes it viable to somewhat countering an AD heavy team.
If Slow is still a problem with Venom Cask, just ask your jungler for a red buff!
Final items to consider:
|Okay I have been testing out runaan's hurricane, and it hasn't yielded me as much success as I would have liked. I find the bonus attack speed to be not very beneficial to me, since Ambush is already a perfectly good steroid. The passive bonus looks great on twitch, and it definitely has some synergy with Spray and Pray, but the passive's range is just too small for me to make effective use of it. If you want to try something new, by all means buy it and have it replace the Phantom Dancer. I would not suggest it though.|
|okay can give you a ton of extra attack speed, armor penetration, and move speed upon activation. This may be a temporary substitute for your Phantom Dancer. It is a very solid item, especially if you invested in an Avarice Blade early game.|
|Okay. these boots allow for much more roaming and ganking. Although these boots make ganking much more effective and easier, because the enemy team has less time to react to a MIA twitch. Additionally, I do not prefer these boots, because I feel too inclined to gank, rather than farm bottom for creep score. If you buy these boots, you must keep aware of the creeps in bottom lane. These boots can offer less team fight presence, because you will be losing the +25% attack speed bonus you get from Berserker's Greaves, OR more team fight presence, if it allows you to position yourself better! Late game, this item is outshined by stattik shiv|
|good A very good item that is often overlooked. Attacks with this weapon give some extra bonus Crit chance, and a reduced healing debuff on an enemy champion. That being said, one should be more inclined to take this if they chose Exhaust as a summoner spell rather than Ignite. Also, this is a very cheap item for its effectiveness! Following season 3, this item is not as viable as it used to be, but it is still effective!|
NOTE:PLEASE GET THIS IF THE ENEMY TEAM HAS A Fiora, A Warwick, A Swain, A Dr. Mundo OR ANYONE WITH LOADS OF LIFESTEAL; I find that their massive life steal is a particularly sticky problem to deal with; This helps. Alot.
unreliable This item has been instrumental in winning some games for me. The problem with running this item on twitch, is that twitch lacks instant survivability abilities, barring flash, of course. This means that you have no means of leaving combat, if all the enemy tanky DPS and tanks choose to focus you - which they will do!
I say, get this item only if you have a Lux, Morgana, or someone with CC so excellent, that they can keep all of those bad, tough bruisers off you!
**Importance/Placements of Ult**
By the time you have completed twitch's build/nearly completed twitch's build, he will be a powerhouse, steamrolling over the poor enemy team. To give you a damage run through, I have made a hypothetical scenario:
In a matter of less than five or so seconds, you have single handedly dealt every person on the enemy team 3000 damage - And my prediction is low-balling it! That being said, if you can hit several champions (ideally, the Carries + Support) you will have just won a battle for your team; You will destroy their front line in 10 shots, and most carries would either be dead, or near death after 5 shots. Since positioning is so key to wining team battles as twitch, my next section will focus only on the usage of twitch's Spray and Pray.
The following picture gives you a good idea as to when & where you would want to fire your ult. Please note that using your ultimate may not always be a good idea, as it makes your auto attacks become skill shots - they will not lock on, and you CAN miss!
Green zones: Spots where you will likely hit many champions with your ult. It is desirable to have team fights in these areas. You can be easily defended by your team while attacking
Yellow spots: Spots where Your ult will probably only hit several enemy champions if they are CC'ed. You have some natural protection, but staying close to your support is very important for maintaining your survival! In these zones, it is difficult for bruisers to get to you, but assassins can burst you down if you aren't careful
Orange Spots: Spots where your ult can hit several champions, but your enemy team can reposition themselves somewhat easily, so that they can escape your ult. Additionally, it is somewhat easy for the enemy team to get to you and focus you in these areas. Avoid fighting here if at all possible. This area offers some natural protection against assassins, but bruisers can reach you somewhat easily. In these spots, save ambush as an escape/reposition spell if you know the bruisers can jump you.
Red Zones: Avoid fighting here if at all possible. It is unlikely that you hit several carries, and there are no natural barriers protecting you from the enemy bruiser.
In this zone, you will need to kite. Save Ambush for repositioning, NO EXCEPTIONS! Avoid fighting here if at all possible. If a fight that happens, don't run away - True plague rats do not fear death.
Thanks to sukero for the awesome image!
Ability Sequence: How to Team fight
Ambush!! Wait for the bruisers to blow their CC on another one of your allies! I typically wait up to 4 seconds before engaging
~Hit Spray and Pray (If appropriate) and Let 'er rip!
~After 3 or so seconds of your engagement, weigh in on the team fight - Ask yourself:
Am I losing this fight? Do I think my team will start to run away soon?
The Golden rule
Once you've decided that you are strong enough to noticeably help your teammates in team fights. You must remember these golden rules of playing twitch. Tattoo them onto your eyelids if you think you will forget - They are SO important!
~TWITCH IS STILL NOT A TANK! Stay behind your team, so that enemies will have a harder time getting to you!
~Twitch is not a tank! Don't engage at the same time as your buddies! Wait a second or so, so that all of the enemy bruisers and supports have used up their CC's!
~TWITCH IS NOT A TANK!!!!! Know when it's smart to leave a teammate to die. If one of your noob teammates overextends and gets ganked in a 1v5 without a flash, dishing out some damage will not help your teammate survive, and it probably won't yield you a kill either. In fact, it would probably lead to your death if you just engaged out of your invisibility.
Don't stand so close to me!
For those who don't get the reference:
Here are some of the Particularly nasty Characters that mess twitch up a little. I judge the difficulty of each individual character based on their killing power, their ability to avoid CC, and their ability to avoid death. The suggestions i give may likely mess with your build, but it (in my opinion) is amongst the few ways you can stop these characters from hard-countering you.
Twitch outduels most ADCs, the exceptions being Caitlyn early game and maybe Corki. Twitch gets countered by the supports.
She counters you pretty badly in lane. You can get chain CC'ed for 3+ seconds, she deals a ton of damage, and after she hits level 6, Solar Flare can zone you pretty well from getting CS. She too tanky for you to harass without risking dying. Choose janna or lulu as a support, because both of their kits make it easy for you to disengage from her. The best way to counter her, is to get a mobile AP mid, or jungle. You see, if she Zenith Blades to you, SHE IS COMMITED. Once she zenith blades to you, it's do or die for her. Getting a mobile mid/jungle, help capitalize on that and help with a gank. Getting janna and lulu will give you enough health to survive her + her carries' burst.
- There are no items you can get to counter her during the early game.
- Try to CS on your side that is closer to river, so that you will have time to react if she zenith blades from brush. If that is not an option, have your support ward brush and try your best to dodge those lances.
- Never try to CS under 60% health. She can jump you and stun lock you to death if you don't flash up. That said, be sure to stock up on potions.
- Freeze lane. Note that if leona is still playing aggressively, a towerdive is imminent.
- Getting Cleanse against a leona is a must!
- Always stay behind your front line, so if she tries to engage with a solar flare, you can help damage the opposing front line.
More coming soon!
Lee Sin: 10/10
I honestly believe that Lee sin is the counter to Twitch players. As far as a twitch player is concerned, this guy basically has a built-in Oracle's Elixir, which he can use more or less, once every 5 seconds. What makes it worse, is that he is very mobile, tanky, and hard to kill! Fortunately, many people don't really know how to play Lee Sin, so if you face one, you will likely be able to stop him before he does too much harm.
The nerfs hurt his kill potential. If you find yourself being jumped frequently in team fights, and dying to
Xin Zhao 4/10
While Xin is typically flamed for dropping off hard late game, that is not the case when he plays against a twitch. Xin's movespeed makes it hard to escape without Ambush, and Audacious Charge's ridiculously large casting range makes it very difficult to escape.
Three Talon Strike Makes it more difficult to Flash + Ambush
His massive lifesteal and armor makes it very difficult to 1v1 unless you have Ignite; even THEN, the battle's in his favor!
Garen is most dangerous when he is lurking around brush. His Spin-to-win ( Decisive Strike + Judgment + Demacian Justice) Makes it VERY difficult to escape, and even harder to live! That combo by itself can kill you, and there's very little you can do about it!
With that in mind, you should stay nice and close with your support; They'll help out a lot :)
Twisted Fate 5/10
Oh man, this guy is annoying! While he tends to be a source of many of your kills in the early game, he can be such a pain late game! While you probably won't get sniped down from the low range of the gate on Destiny, or just a standard battle between you and the Twisted Fate, a 10-second reveal on twitch is devestating - more than enough time for the enemy team to find you and beat you down.
This guy can be so imbalanced some time. While having only 5 seconds of immortality ( infinite rage) doesn't seem like a lot, It tends to be more than enough time for him to punch you down, and more often than not, your entire team. The few ways to counter him is to:
- Have someone on your team be Lux, Morgana, or Alistar. These people have snares that absolutely devastate much of the Damage he will be throwing at you.
- Ask one or two teammates to get Exhaust. This will shut down his DPS
- position yourself so that your Spray and Pray hits 4-5 people. This will give you 40-100% lifesteal, depending on the amount of enemies you hit and the stacks on The Bloodthirster, but this gives amazing sustainability for surviving!
- Buy a Guardian Angel or (if you REALLY need to counter him a Randuin's Omen).
While these will kill your damage output, It will give you the survivability necessary to survive tryndamere. If tryndamere is carrying his team, I suggest you get both of these, since an insta-dead Twitch is not a very useful twitch.
- If tryndamere is a pest early game, you may want to consider buying either a Ninja Tabi or a Wriggle's Lantern
OH MAN is she annoying! I mean, she can just jump to you, and Blade Waltz to kill you, and neither you, nor your friends can do anything about it! There really is not much you can do about her.
Truthfully, Games against a Fiora have never been easy. Ever. What i do, is:
- If she is carrying her team, get a Frozen Mallet and a Wriggle's Lantern, and later sell your Berserker's Greaves for a Ninja Tabi. If she is solely carrying the enemy team, hunking out damage is not as important as just surviving.
- Getting s Randuin's Omen somewhere along the way will help you survive a lot of the burst she has
- If she and and enemy AP carry is carrying the team, then pray to the void that another one of your teammates can also carry, since it will be difficult for you to solely carry. Get your Frozen Mallet and your Ninja Tabi AND your Guardian Angel, and play defensively. Never run past your support. Always keep him nearby.
- If you have Zilean or Kayle or Lulu as a support, their ultimates, ( Intervention, Chrono Shift, Wild Growth) particularly shines here. Their ultimates will significantly help soften the blows she does
- No matter what your teammates say, A fed Fiora can very easily decimate your team. Her attack speed steroid is just too over-powered if left ignored. you NEED to focus her. An early healing reduction proc through Ignite or Morellonomicon or Executioner's Calling helps a lot!
- When she Blade Waltzes you, spread out, but DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM YOUR TEAM! They'll undoubtedly tank some of the blows for you. While the autoattacks fiora does during Blade Waltz will hurt, the Ravenous Hydra procs can really hurt you if you stay bunched with the rest of your team.
- counter with a Guardian Angel, or by having a Zilean/ Kayle support. Fizz's abilites are meant to burst you down; With that in mind, he really can't sustain himself, or sustain dealing continuous damage to you
- STAY AWAY FROM HER! You're going to need help from your team to draw some of her hard-hitting fire! Always try to get a CC on her. In a team fight, she is your most dangerous threat.
Here is my list of what to expect from this hooligan
- This guy is mobile! He WILL get to you, so don't even try to position yourself away from him. Still try and maintain a healthy distance from the rest of the enemy team, though!
- He will burst, and he will hurt. So long as your Mid did not feed him, you should be able to survive a burst rotation though. The gap will be enough time for a support to either heal you, or CC him.
- When fighting against Kassadin's team, life steal is your friend!
Rengar (or Fox Mccloud) can be dealt with at most stages of the game. While he doesn't pose a direct threat to you, you should be careful
- Thrill of the Hunt does not reveal invisible units, but it does give their general location. If you have Ambush leveled a decent amount, you should be able to get away from him, if he is chasing you.
- Battle Roar acts as a tank steroid and a self-heal... Be sure to pop an early Ignite on him, or buy a Executioner's Calling and use it often. Rengar can regain a lot of health this way... he can regain much more if his The Bloodthirster has full stacks.
- Bola Strike acts as a pretty good gap closer. If he is particularly fed, think of investing in an early Phantom Dancer for mobility
- When in doubt, stick close to your support. Rengar is all Attack damage, so Taric is a good counterpick.
- If you are at all bit worried about rengar, don't hesitate to blow an Exhaust on him. It can really mess him up
Bruiser teemo will beat you in one-on-one encounters at all stages of the game. In team fights, Counter him by either getting a Yorick solotop, or having someone on your team be a very large, immovable wall, like Cho'Gath.
- You scale throughout the game. Bruiser teemo does not. Be aware that the team teemo is on needs some sort of momentum to shift the game in their favor - whether it be kills, objectives, or towers. Try give them as little as possibe.
DISCLAIMER: Now Before anyone asks, no, this is not my build on how to jungle. I took this jungle section(with permission) from Phoenix0000ff (proof here), the author of A jungle twitch is a happy twitch. I did not change his guide or build in any way, shape, or form.
NOTE: Following the twitch re-make, jungle twitch is a lot less viable.
Twitch Performances: Wall of Fame
Some of you may think that despite all of my props to twitch, he still sucks. So below, i posted some of the previous games i have played with twitch this last week, in addition to some other particularly good games in the past!
Congrats to ilovemonkeybutts on his platinum promotion series! Well done, friend!
Props to bowen!
Please, If you have other hilarious/awesome games you've played with twitch, please PM me, E-mail me @ firstname.lastname@example.org, or post a link in the comment section below
PLEASE either PM me or post your questions/comments/advice into the comment section below! If you enjoyed reading my guide, or found it helpful, upvoting it or +repping me helps me out a lot!
Feel free to use any information as you like, but I ask that if you were to use information in my guide in a document, could you give me props? thanksss!
PROPS TO JHOIJHOI FOR BEING AWESOME AND TEACHING ME TO BBCODE!
thankyou for your time,
Contact info -> questions
Want to reach me about any questions? Want to send me a pic of your awesome game that you just carried as twitch? just throw me a PM or shoot me an email at