Build Guide by V3ng3vin3
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
AA = Auto-attack (Basic Attacks)
AD = Attack Damage
AP = Ability Power
AS = Attack Speed
AoE = Area of Effect
CC = Crowd Control (Stun, fear, slow, snare, etc)
CDR = Cooldown Reduction
DoT = Damage over Time
FB = First Blood
HP = Health
LS = Life Steal
MD = Magic Damage
MP = Mana
MR = Magic Resistance
MS = Movement Speed
OoM = Out of Mana
SV = Spell Vamp
DPS = Damage Per Second; also: Strong Auto-attacker
MDPS = Magical Damage Per Second; also:Strong spells; casters
MP5 = Mana Regeneration per 5 seconds
HP5 = Health Regeneration per 5 seconds
ArPen = Armor Penetration
MPen = Magic Penetration
Alistar is a Champion that rarely you'll see from non-ranked games due to his hard difficulty and having no agreed upon build from the community. After getting him a couple of days ago I have been trying several builds and finally found one that combines all the aspects that Alistar needs to tank and support you team to win. So Throughout this journey I will go through everything you need to know to win with Alistar.
Pros / Cons
- Has one of the best Ultimates in the game.
- Easily can control team fights.
- Easily can chase down enemy champions.
- The best Tower destoryer due to his passive.
- Great stun skills for ganking.
- Amazing Heal skill for early and late.
- Very slow champion compare to others.
- Doesn't deal much damage. He can, but he can not 1v1 anyone.
- Being a tank he's a huge target in team fights.
- Slow cooldowns for his skills.
There are only two spells you always use for Alistar and they are:
Ghost allows you:
- To run around targets faster and then Headbutt them the directions you like
- To run away from enemies.
- To run to a team mate so that you can give them your Shurelya's Reverie buff so that they can either chase or run away.
- To run to a team mate so that you can heal(Triumphant Roar)them.
- To run to a team mate so that you can Headbutt or Pulverize an enemy.
Flash allows you:
- To flash behind targets, Pulverize them and then Headbutt them the directions you like.
- To flash away from enemies.
- To flash to a team mate so that you can give them your Shurelya's Reverie buff so that they can either chase or run away.
I go a 0/16/14 because the point of Alistar is to be tanky, but also very supportive for ganks and team fights. You don't to 21 in those builds because Alistar's Ultimate can already do what you need and his items do that. basically the masteries help Alistar's armor, magic resistance, health and magic regeneration, health and summoner spells. Yes I get Greed because Alistar needs gold like no other. Alistar is a champion who is very hard getting gold unless you know what to do. So with this and hoping you can get first blood, dragon, and baron kills you'll be fine. He relies on global gold a lot more than other champions.
- Greater Mark of Fortitude: Health for survivability.
- Greater Seal of Clarity: Alistar can easily lose a lot of mana quickly so it's better to quickly regenerate it.
- Greater Glyph of Clerity: Alistar has terrible cooldowns so getting these helps a lot for his abilities, especially his Ultimate.
- Greater Quintessence of Clerity: Same as above. It's better to spend your gold on health boosting and mana regenerating items than cooldown items due to most of them nerfed.
Pretty much a given. Max out Pulverize first, then Triumphant Roar and finally Headbutt. You only need one point in Headbutt as getting more early game is useless. Pulverize is your best skill as it can deal massive damage (With cooldowns you can quickly use this more often). Triumphant Roar is the most OP skill early has it only cost 20 mana and you can easily spam this early until you level it up.
Start out withand onebecause you can quickly get to level 3 for Triumphant Roar shenanigans and save the remaining gold for later. Your boots will becomeafter you get enough gold.
You then want to buildas fast as possible because it helps your mana and blocking a negative spell is very helpful being the tank of the team.
The next item to get isbecause you easily can get many kills/assists with him and those stacks help for your health.
is great because Alistar is very slow and the speed boost every 60 seconds is very helpful for him and of course the CC is very helpful for his Ultimate.
Some might be wondering why they should get. Well because the health boost and the slow effect is nice being the tank and everyone is going to try to kill you so slowing people down will help your teammates kill key players on the opposing team.
If you are so late into the game then getbecause you'll have ridiculous health by now (probably over 5000).
Basically stay in your lane until you destroy the first tower. You should have the first three items between level 10 - 12. Then you either help gank the opposing team's champions and help protect you teammates with low health. Your Ultimate is beautiful to use when you go up by the opposing team's tower and kill a low cost champion, when you are in a team fight and they are targeting you, or when you are somewhat low and they try to gank you. Early game Pulverize and Headbutt combo is great to get first blood or to simply get a kill/assists when you push an enemy champion into your tower. So sick. Know your limits with Alistar because some champions can easily nuke your health down really fast so be patient with him and you'll be rewarded.
Hopefully this guide will help those who want to play tanky/support champions and be reward for their patience. Please comment and rate and ask questions/onions if you play him ad well.