Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Explanation of the basics/competitive LoL

Creator: RYToad June 14, 2012 10:37am
RYToad
<Member>
RYToad's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2012 10:37am | Report
I'm looking for everyone's 2 cents on this matter. Looking for comments and suggestions on LoL
Some of my questions

What is an AD/AP Carry?
What is spell vamp?
What is the basic team makeup supposed to look like? (IE: 2AD/AP CARRY, 1 Tank, 1 jungle, 1 support)
What is the purpose of Jungling?
What runes go with which toon?
What is the Difference in top lane and bottom lane? (I frequently see people very adamant about which lane they go to. Why does it matter?
Why is they're different suggestion items for dominion?

And anything else you would like to add to help clear up the more competitive gameplay.
RYToad
<Member>
RYToad's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2012 11:21am | Report
Bump
IcarianWings
<Member>
IcarianWings's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2012 11:41am | Report
Hello and welcome to the forums.

I suppose those topics have been covered in a variety of threads already. You can try searching for it using the search function, or just head down to the Theory Crafting section.

Please enjoy your stay here.
You just bought a ticket for the Pain Train. Choo choo.

Huge thanks + hugs to MissMaw for my sigs!
ShoreXShot
<Member>
ShoreXShot's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2012 12:19pm | Report
I am sure this is covered somewhere else but meh, I will give you my take on it, which by no means should be considered the all around perfect truth as alot of your questions will get many answers depending on who you ask.

Ok here goes it....

Q:What is an AD/AP Carry?
A:Well there is a difference b/t AD and AP carries so I will cover each individually

AP Carry is typically a caster such as Annie or Ryze whose primary damage output is in the form of magic damage. The only source of magic damage(there are a few exceptions) is in the form of your champions abilities (q,w,e,r). These typically scale off of ap and result in doing decent amounts of magic damage. I mentioned Ryze b/c even though he doesn't scale off of ap (primarily scales mana) all of his abilities damage comes in the form of magic damage so he can be considered an ap carry.

AD Carry is typically referencing a ranged champion who stack a lot of physical damage(high dps). In most cases there primary output of damage comes from their auto-attacks (when you just click on them with your mouse). So kind of the opposite of an AP Carrie's damage output, which comes from their abilities (q,w,e,r). This role can be taken by just about any ranged champ including Annie who I just said was an AP carry. This is because she meets all requirements she can auto-attack, she is ranged, and she can buy damage items. With this said she may not be the ideal ad carry but she can build like them. This really can't be said of an ap carry, only certain champions can fill this role as not all champs scale with ap.

Q: What is spell vamp?
A: this is the equivalent to life steal for anyone who does magic damage. So when do damage with magic a percentage of the damage is given to you as health. So if you have 10% life steal and you do 100 magic damage you heal for 10 hp. if you have 25% life steal and you do 100 damage you heal 25 hp.

Q:What is the basic team makeup supposed to look like?
A:Well this can very but the current meta involves 1 AD carry, 1 AP carry, 1 jungle, 1support, and 1 tank/bruiser. A bruiser is basically a champion that builds tanky but still does a decent amount of damage. This can change though b/c some supports end of being tanky ( Alistar, Leona, Blitzcrank) which lets your top build a little more damage and a bit less tanky like a Kennen, Talon, or Jax.

Q:What is the purpose of jungling?
A:The purpose of having a jungle is to allow you to have another potentially 3 solo lanes. So that none of the lanes have to share the gold from minions as well as the experience from killing them. This allows the champions to level faster and be able to buy strong items sooner than if they were sharing. This is kinda different for bottom lane as there is normally a support that will take some of the experience but never takes any of the gold from minions. This trade is fine as the support helps the ad carry survive even though he typically wont buy much armor or health. Thus letting him focus on pure damage items.

Q:What runes go with which toon?
A:Wow, what a loaded question lol. This varies alot so I can't really say anything other than look up a guide for said "toon". What I can say though is that you kinda want your runes to strengthen you champion in ways that make sense. Put damage or armor pen on an ad champ and ap and magic pen on an ap champ.

Q:What is the Difference in top lane and bottom lane?
A:Well the only difference is due to the current meta that says ad carry and support/tank bot while the top has a bruiser/tank(ap or ad). This is just because of the meta and could change at any time so yeh. Just stick with the meta if you are solo queuing or you will get on peoples nerves because they can't handle change. The meta is a good thing to a point but in order to keep good cohesion with random people who you meet in match making it is often best to just stick with it.

Q:Why is they're different suggestion items for dominion?
A:In dominion the rate at which you heal, Regen manna, and earn gold is much faster so certain items don't really have their same place in dominion. This also being said a lot of dominion build put more emphasis on building damage as opposed to survivability. I honestly don't play dominion very much so I am probably not the best person to answer this.

Massive wall of text over...
If you felt I contributed or am just cool, drop me some rep +1 rep?
This and anything I say are my opinions (in no way facts), that are continually evolving as time goes on,
as I am far from an expert and always striving to learn more.
RYToad
<Member>
RYToad's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2012 12:23pm | Report
Thanks man that explains alot, exact definition I was looking for. Appreciate it!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide