Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Maokai Effectiveness

Creator: Ilynx November 17, 2013 5:31pm
Is he effective in the current meta compared to other junglers?
Ilynx
<Member>
Ilynx's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 5:31pm | Report
A few people have argued to me that Maokai does not fit in the current meta. So far the reasons have been he only has one cc ability, high mana costs, slow clear speeds with poor single target damage, and he can easily be shut down early with an invade or counter jungling on red buff. The main reasons stated imply that other junglers (e.g. Zac and Lee Sin) can do his job better with an extra slow, more damage, and almost equal sustain and health. What do you guys think?
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 5:47pm | Report
*shrug*
I play him at plat so, I think he's fine. Mana costs are absolutely high and he dies real easily to invades, but he does have okay clear times, even if his tanking isn't the best.

His scouting is awesome as well as the 20% damage reduction for the team. The low cooldown AoE knockback is nice too.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 6:26pm | Report
I've played him a few times recently and I personally don't like him. His mana costs are really crippling and his ganks aren't absolutely amazing, nor something that other champions can't already offer.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 7:52pm | Report
sirell wrote:

I've played him a few times recently and I personally don't like him. His mana costs are really crippling and his ganks aren't absolutely amazing, nor something that other champions can't already offer.

idk i think his ganks are pretty great with his twisted advance, unless you get screwed into snaring someone under their turret, its sorta like a mini vi ult without the damage

i think his problems, that havnt been addressed, are that he doesnt really have an initiation other than his twisted advance, which is single target, and fights are waaaaaaaaay too mobile for his ult to be really effective
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 7:55pm | Report
It's kinda like if you or your team don't kill the enemy upon the snare+Q, you're screwed.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 8:06pm | Report
well i wouldnt say screwed, i think maokai has a place in a disengage comp or like a...get engaged on comp? idk he would work against a team that cant disengage from a fight or a low mobility team so once they engage you can throw your ult on the fight and peel for your carry with your snare and knockup, but even then fights are a bit too mobile for that, but you are right about snare+Q being the only thing so just want to hope your team has someone else that can engage on a fight
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 8:20pm | Report
Maokai is fun though. It just kinda sucks that there are so many other champions that do his job better.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 10:58pm | Report
His ganks are amongst the best, but besides that he falls off incredibly hard because he literally doesn't do a thing besides soaking up damage. He doesn't have any clear speed so he naturally falls behind other junglers. Problem is that other junglers like Jarvan IV have stronger ganks, more utility late game and better clear speed.

Wouldn't say he is not viable at all, but other junglers just do his job better.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 11:03pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Wouldn't say he is not viable at all, but other junglers just do his job better.

Bingo.

Also, Maokai's damage, or lack there of, is tied to AP itemization. J4? Passive %HP damage. Vi? Same thing. Lots of the current junglers don't need to build a lot of damage to actually do it.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide