Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Hit a wall, need advice

Creator: Ixtellor March 31, 2016 12:37pm
1 2
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2016 12:37pm | Report
So after never being higher than silver, I hit Gold 1 this season.

I got here spamming Udyr, Voli, Gragas, Garen, and Dr. Mundo. (jungle, top)

Now Udyr is perm ban --- my best champ way before he was popular. And I am no longer dominating people with the rest of my champ pool. I feel totally ineffective top and usually behind in CS, even though my KDA's top are fine my enemy is snowballing and I'm not big enough to counter.

I have just started playing Shyvanna in normals and they seem strong.

Basically, now that my old champ pool is either inaccessable or I have hit a skill level wall, looking for either new champs or advice on how to get better since it feels like I hit my own skill cap (except on Udyr -- I can still crush it)

With so many popular tanks, My Gragas jungle feels like I do ZERO damage.

Thinking I need to switch it up to Shyv jungle Nasus top, but not sure that will solve my problems.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I used to care about KDA, now I care about CS and Objectives.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2016 1:08pm | Report
How to get better: question your own actions in game all the time and reflect on them after your game.

I.e. when you die, ask yourself what went wrong and what you could've done to avoid it. Same goes for losing a lane, losing out on CS, getting a bad recall timing/spot etc. Then after a game you should reflect on them before queueing up again and forgetting about everything instantly. Think long-term instead of short term (one game).

Generally, picking up different champions won't help unless you feel uncomfortable on them. Pick the champions you like playing and stick to them, if you're good enough that will always get you diamond. The champions you play never have to be a limiting factor until you get to D1/Master+ (albeit some champions perhaps faster than others, but I'd genuinely prefer to play 100 support games over 50 Talon games to get where I want to get).
Penita13
<Member>
Penita13's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2016 9:10am | Report
There are many people out there who climbed the rankings with one main. Examples are 'Shaclone' with his shaco, 'Cowsep' with his Master Yi and 'Redmercy' with his Zed. If you are extremely good at those champions you'll get high rankings. However, it also takes a lot of skil, other than for playing your champion, to get a high ranking. For example wavecontrol, proper teamfighting and objectivecontrol. Only if you have mastered both your main champion and these skills will you reach diamond.

However, there is a second type of player. The one which doesn't have a main champion, but shifts with the meta. A great example is 'Nightblue3'. He has a semi-main (rengar) which he loves to play. However, he also plays champs like diana, ekko and voli. He chooses what is OP in the meta. Even though this doesn't require you to have an as incredibly developed eye for gameanalysis, you have to be able to play multiple champions. This requires you to have the right runes and masteries, unlucked champions (of course) but also the ability to be flexible in picks-and-bans. To fully master this you have to invest quite a lot of time and effort

I have been in the same situation as you. A point at which I didn't know what to play anymore. What did I do? I tried as many champions as possible in as many lanes as possible. This led me to main Xerath to a certain extent. I also greatly developed my supporting skills. Even though I like to be able to dish out a lot of damage, there are also support champions like Bard who fit this playstyle.

I want to advice you to reconsider what kind of player you are at the moment. Do you really want to stick with jungle and top or are you openminded and want to try out other roles? Do you want to stick with those champions and develop your game-analysis skills or do you want to become more flexible? Both work completely fine and are greatly dependant on the type of player you are.

As a last tip: I looked back at your post and your current mastery pool. You seem to like champions who are quite mobile and tanky, but still have the ability to deal a lot of damage. I want urge you to try either tanky Ekko or rek'sai.

I hope you break through that wall you have reached. If you have any more questions, feel free to respond or send me a pm :)

greatings,

Penita13

Thanks to myself for the signature ^^
Check out my Xerath guide
Cikhir
<Member>
Cikhir's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2016 10:29am | Report
Some safe picks IMO nowadays are Darius, Ekko and Shen. They are all pretty strong versus tanks and snowball easily. Just master one of them, they ain't banned really.

Gl hf fellow summoner! :^)
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2016 10:40am | Report
Vynertje wrote:
How to get better: question your own actions in game all the time and reflect on them after your game.

I.e. when you die, ask yourself what went wrong and what you could've done to avoid it. Same goes for losing a lane, losing out on CS, getting a bad recall timing/spot etc. Then after a game you should reflect on them before queueing up again and forgetting about everything instantly. Think long-term instead of short term (one game).

It's easier/better to do this while watching the replay, too.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2016 10:42am | Report
Penita13 wrote:
However, it also takes a lot of skil, other than for playing your champion, to get a high ranking. For example wavecontrol, proper teamfighting and objectivecontrol. Only if you have mastered both your main champion and these skills will you reach diamond.

Its an illusion that diamonds master these skills

It's easier/better to do this while watching the replay, too.

Yes, although I think it shouldn't be necessary to watch replays. At the very least, I've never done so myself
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2016 12:30pm | Report
Replays aren't necessary, but they definitely do accelerate improvement at varying degrees depending on the player.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2016 7:25pm | Report
I had the same problem in the same league playing immobile champions (mostly Volibear, with some Maokai/ Rammus/ Nasus and ocassionaly adc/supp) during the past 2 seasons. Last season I could get to Plat V but it was just because of a lucky win streak by playing mostly support. The skill wall was still there and I was having a hard time improving.

This year I feel like I've gone through it. Mostly after realising I wouldn't climb with Volibear in high gold late in season 5 and deciding I should try other champions/roles. Tl;dr I went around the skill wall, not over it.

So I started trying other champions. At first just to try different stuff and learn whatever I could, but new champions eventually went into the main champion pool for rankeds. This served a double purpose: 1) look for a champion whose optimal play matched my playstyle and 2) actually try different playstyles and see if I like them.

Every champion has slightly different game patterns and powerspikes. You have to identify which one is best in advance and play accordingly. If you're not interested in changing roles you'll probably have to change your game pattern in some way to better reflect the optimal one for each champion. I haven't had much success doing this as I have my gameplay too hardwired in my main champions, so changing the play pattern means sucking a lot on my main until I get comfortable with the new pattern, which may not be good enough anyways.

Also, replays would be the best way of getting outside help.
Ixtellor
<Member>
Ixtellor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 2, 2016 9:18am | Report
Biggest losing streak of my life.
This was my latest game.
http://www.replay.gg/search/na/Ixtellor#2144959175

I didn't watch the replay but I recall 2 obvious mistakes on my part.
1) I tower dove a Diana early , got the kill but the tower got me.
2) My bottom was hugging tower, enemy jungler was ganking top so I solo'ed dragon. I think I probably should have just ganked bottom to help them out.

3) The way I remember this game (didn't watch the replay yet) enemy jungler fed on my overextended bottom and top, Enemy team mid overextended a lot and I was killing Diana frequently, but usually after she solo killed my Galio mid. Yi got super fed. I was leading a comeback 5-0-5 at one point then team kept getting caught. I wasn't warding nearly enough and communicating for team to be careful. Also, I kept peeling off to push lanes to create map pressue and alieviate the constant mid assault from 4 enemy champs mid.

If anyone wants to weigh in coach, would greatly appreciate any feedback.
I used to care about KDA, now I care about CS and Objectives.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 2, 2016 10:54am | Report
Go watch your own replay first and try to learn something from that before asking others, imo it's a lazy attitude for something that you can probably fix yourself.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide