Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Katarina

Creator: GrimmFate May 26, 2012 8:23am
17 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
GrimmFate
<Member>
GrimmFate's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 8:23am | Report
Opinions of her?

How you think she should be played?

Just curious.
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 9:12am | Report
Will write longer answer when home, but I can say I have adapted lot of TiensiNoAkuma playstyle. One of the top kata players in the game (around 2.4k last time I checked)
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 9:33am | Report
Super aggressive in lane by constantly harassing with Q :D Then when they get low Shunpo for the kill.

I think she's really strong, but has a really high skill cap. All about timing your ult in teamfights, which is quite difficult imo because you get impatient/feel useless. :p
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Keondre
<Member>
Keondre's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 9:38am | Report
^ What he said. Also, try to get in a lane where there is no CC so that your ultimate isn't wasted..
사랑은 장님이다. | ความงามในความแข็งแรง. | 愛は治療です.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 10:01am | Report
Has potential but is easily beaten in late game team fights.

Strong in lane with poke and shunpo escapes (if used properly).

More often than not you're exploiting an enemy's mistake, but as you get into higher tiers of play, mistakes are less frequent.

High(ish) skill cap, but more or less to win with Kat you need common sense, not "godlike" abilities. Which basically means, a chimp can play her and do well if they know how to WAIT for cc and interrupts to be on cool down for the enemy team so you can ult.
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 10:13am | Report
Remember that her ulti is not her strongest skill, her passive is her strongest! Wait for cc, don't play really aggressive until lvl 6 (unless against easy lanes like Veigar, Karthus other low mobility champs) and then at lvl 6 go for the kill.

Play her spellvamp/glasscannon and you will get more from her than playing with more def. Going both rylais and Gunblade is waste of slows, so chose one. And since gunblade is pure core on her, don't get rylais unless it really suits your playstyle.

I always lvl q first, max it first, use it to harass, use it to lasthit on hard lanes, using W to poke in teamfights can give you HUGE harass on 5 out of 5 players if spaced decently. Shunpo is more of a one target nuke, and most often your finishing move.

Don't shunpo, q, then ulti, rather q, shunpo, ulti, then q if needed. Cause your q has longer range than ulti, so you can finish up a low life running enemy with it.

Edit: Oh, and save shunpo in lane for escapes. Since you use that multi target skill (q) as your harass/last hit you most likely will push the lane and be extended. Don't harass with shunpo unless you know you are supersafe.

Shunpo can also be used to bait morgana ultis or other kinds of lockdowns or cc that you can move out of the range of quickly with going to a ward, minion or ally.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 11:06am | Report
Crows foot wrote:

I can say I have adapted lot of TiensiNoAkuma playstyle. One of the top kata players in the game (around 2.4k last time I checked)

This, though imo Tiensi IS the best Kata in the game, plays her way more than scarra/westrice.

It's important to learn how to smart cast for fast reactions, just watching Tiensi improved my skills with Kat. It's important that your rune page focuses on mobility and early game resistance, Kat is really weak early game so you need to survive early laning phase, the armor and magic resist helps you get to mid game. I always try to get an early kage's lucky pick after the change to DFG, grab Gunblade, and then DFG.

My recommendation is to practice using DFG and Gunblade (preferably in that order), it may take some time, but setting them up as smart casts allows you to treat both of them as normal spell casts and become a part of your kit. Always take flash as it's an extension of Shunpo and adds to your mobility.

Wards are your best friend, learn to smart cast them too, removes the lag of having to place it and also just becomes another smartcast to make shunpo more useful, get to know the range of ward placing and how you can place them over walls even if they are larger than the range, it's all about how quick you can cast the ward and shunpo, can make the difference between being dead or alive, or whether or not you get a kill.

Reiterating importance of smartcasting.

Contrary to other posts here, agreeing with crows foot Kata is not "all about timing your ultimate", Kata is about knowing who, what, where, and when, yes her ult deals a lot of damage, but usually you can't get a full ult off, and even if you can, you are better off ending it early to cast Q and E again to refresh cooldowns, and the refreshing of cooldowns, is what she's about. Not uncommon to see a double or triple kill several times per game.

If you have good overall awareness and have quick reflexes, Kata will be an extremely fun champion to play.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 11:23am | Report
Scarra is probably the best Katarina player in the game, I don't think its really up for debate
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 11:25am | Report
Scarra himself said on stream the other day that he thought Tiensi was better. :P
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 26, 2012 12:19pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

Scarra is probably the best Katarina player in the game, I don't think its really up for debate

Tiensi is better than Scarra, there is no debate.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide