Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

LoL Community issues aren't just in-game.

Creator: Otaku108 August 24, 2012 6:34pm
1 2 3
Otaku108
<Member>
Otaku108's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2012 6:34pm | Report
So, I'm not one to really care much about a troll or two in any game I play, it's part of the element that is online gaming in general. What I tend to do it just push that ignore button and move on.

But when that same style of taunting and/or dismissive attitude assails me, as a new person to the site, here... I get a little irritated. Sure I'm new and obviously don't know everything, that's part of life anyway, but to dismiss my comments, opinions, or posts simply for that reason alone... is depressing.

I had hoped for, and even maybe expected (my own fault), a higher form of community here, which is one reason I felt confident in expressing myself in full on this site. Sadly, I am once again lost to the fact that there is no such thing as a troll free internet experience.

If you find something I say/post about to be incorrect or against your own opinions, then please, by all means explain to me the error or voice your own opinion to me. I'm not exactly so stubborn as to ignore your ideas out of hand because they are in conflict of my own. But don't just dismiss it without any constructive criticism at all... What's the point of that other than to be blatantly rude?

A little disappointed, but perhaps not really daunted.
A noob.

Insanity; a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world.
Thx to effinvices for the sig!
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 12:32am | Report
An important rule: Don't post any kind of STRONG opinion without a very good reason. I had to learn that myself. A good way to avoid some of this is to add 'imo' after a post, and that will generally clear you. For the most part, this IS a fair and balanced community. Pay attention to what the editors, veterans, and above post, they generally have a year or more of experience under their belts in the game itself, and their opinions are *generally* correct. Just chill out for a bit, get some experience, read all the posts, read the top rated guides, and you will be able to form accurate opinions that people wont have a reason to rage at you about.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 1:32am | Report
A lotta top-rated guides suck.
Otaku108
<Member>
Otaku108's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 1:42am | Report
Quoted:

A lotta top-rated guides suck.

I have to agree with this... many of the top rated guides I just look at to get a reference point to start my own builds from when trying new champs out. Half the time I hate trying to follow them to the letter.

But mainly it's not because they "suck" but because they're geared towards someone else's play style. I put up mini guides because I'm just sharing how I play a certain champ in my own style... I won't do a full guide because I have no reason to believe my style of playing a champ is necessarily the best for others to use...

Anyway, thx for the advice Overmynd. I wouldn't have been even 1/10th as upset had the person not just given me some constructive criticism instead of just dismissing the post due to some opinion I expressed in it. Like I said, if I'm wrong or they disagree, tell me why, explain/correct I don't really care. Don't just flippantly say it's stupid and leave it at that. It's hurtful, rude and really only serves to diminish the community. Had I been a much younger version of myself I'd have likely left, which is on me but at the same time I had hoped for a bit more here.

Either way, I'm still kickin around and I'll keep trying. I just felt like venting in a public manner xP

Insanity; a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world.
Thx to effinvices for the sig!
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 7:50am | Report
Champions have play styles which players lean to/use. Builds reflect how a champion can be played (AP Cho vs Tank Cho) and how the style of play changes depending on the route taken. Some champions have less options, LeBlanc for example. She truly can only be played glass cannon and it is by far her most efficient build style; or another example a majority of AD carries, you have Corki/Ez/Jayce (if you go ADC Jayce) who are Trinity Force carries (though they tend to get IE too)

Then you have Graves/MF/Caitlyn/Tristana/Kog' Maw/Draven/Varus champions that "could" use Trinity Force but building directly into IE or BT is almost always a better option.

The list goes on but generally speaking, mobafire allows anyone and everyone to create a guide. Some people are cheaters who gain their "fame" through abuse. Others are charismatics who get a lot of attention on the forums then promote their guide and get followers. Then you have people who try to make legitimate guides but misunderstand the current meta, or how the mechanics of LoL works so what they produce is something that "high" ELO players disapprove of. Then you have those rare few that actually make amazing guides but, due to the number of glory hounds/profiteers/sheep their guides get trashed. Not because it was poorly made, or their build is lackluster. No it is simply because their guide is better and people are afraid of that. I'd like to think people here want mobafire to prosper, so rather than be the butt of jokes on a pro's stream, we would actually be used as a references. But that isn't the case and it won't be the case until we figure out a better system that prevents the spineless ****-eating ****bags who go around down-voting without legitimate cause (like say putting Nashor's tooth on Karthus).

Oh and as to people considering you inexperienced and stepping/crushing on your opinions like they were dry leaves that happens, I do it all the time. I'm not the best LoL player in the world but I like to think that ~2.5 or so years of playing has given me some sort of idea of what is going on over someone who just got into LoL 3 weeks ago. ^_^ TY and enjoy your stay.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 8:26am | Report
Guides are top rated because of the voting system on Mobafire. too many writers get randoms to create accounts here to write up generic one sentence comments and often times hard work is trolled. It isn't very fair but once you accept it thenyou work to reverse your misfortunes, namely you ask regulars to look at your guides and to help you improve it and reward your hard work. I've even looked at rival guides and challenged the author on aspects of his writing.

Also, but IMO in apost is redundant. you are writing for yourself and everything you say IS YOUR OPINION by default.
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 8:39am | Report
Yeah, but saying "vladimir sucks" and "vladimir isn't as strong as ahri, imo" are TOTALLY different, and are perceived by the community in totally different ways. One is a flat out bash towards a champ that many people love, and will most certainly get you flamed, while the other will spark honest debate. Psychology, my friend.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 8:55am | Report
Vladimir is not as strong as Ahri.

I just encouraged a debate without saying something redundnant like "IMO" because it is my opion. I wrote it
crossfire
<Member>
crossfire's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 1:07pm | Report
Kazega wrote:

Vladimir is not as strong as Ahri.

I just encouraged a debate without saying something redundnant like "IMO" because it is my opion. I wrote it

This guy has a point. You wrote it? Whos opinions is it? Obviously yours... So why must you put "IMO" after it...
+Rep for a cookie.

Thanks to LaCorpse for the sig.

Don't Click This | Click This
Vavena
<Member>
Vavena's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 25, 2012 1:16pm | Report
The community is rude on LoL, get used to it. It's just how people evolved over time after playing. They could have been nice at first but w/e, anyways what Overmyynd said. Just say 'imo' and you're clear from MOST of the rude comments.

1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide