Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Melee mid vs Ranged mid

Creator: Feur May 22, 2017 10:59am
Feur
<Member>
Feur's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2017 10:59am | Report
How do you deal with the trades in the laneing phase? Itś just so hard as a mid assassin.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2017 12:08pm | Report
Who are you thinking of? Practically all mid laners have some form of range these days. In case you're playing something odd, focus on dodging most abilities, and look for opportunities to go for a prolonged fight.

If I'm playing Garen mid for instance, I usually try do stay out of range and dodge for the first few levels. But when I know I can outdamage them in longer fights, I wait for them to use an ability, dodge it, and then go in on them instantly.

A lot of ranged champion players panic when a champion is on top of them, so chances are that if you keep rotating around they won't even be able to hit their spells and it'll be an easy trade.

Of course, make sure that the jungler isn't waiting for you to go in to get an easy kill.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Feur
<Member>
Feur's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2017 12:20pm | Report
Wait Garen mid is a thing? That aside, I guess your right. I guess I still have to just let the few minions go.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2017 12:27pm | Report
It most certainly isn't. Just an example of a champion that really has no range as I couldn't imagine a meta mid laner that's in the same boat. (I play him top but I sometimes swap with my duo queue mid partner)

Are you playing Zed? You should be able to get CS after some levels, either with your shurikens or just by walking up. Your W->Q (I think) combo has quite some range, so you have more than enough pressure. If they do go in, give them a taste of your combo while dodging as much as possible. Or escape with your shadow if you're not in a position to trade.

When you're level 6, you should look for an all-in with your ult. If you can kill them or force them out of lane without dying yourself, it means getting an experience and gold advantage.

EDIT: Also, stay close to your minions if you can. If the enemy pokes you, they'll automatically push the wave, so the minions get closer to your turret and you can safely CS.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Feur
<Member>
Feur's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2017 4:23pm | Report
Thanks for the information! I usually play Katarina and I get poked down a lot. When I try to go for the all in, I have like half health. I think I also might need to ping the jungler more often and combined with you tips and ganks I think I can play better.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 22, 2017 6:23pm | Report
Hi there, I'm a top laner by nature but i can give you my input against ranged top laners.

I main shen and have always played a melee top champ. Eventually once I do my first back I find I'm tanky enough as shen to start trading. Before I started shen pvp I used to blind pick on Player vs AI and played solo top as much as I could. Since you naturally have to play passive against a 1v2 helped me get comfortable farming and last hitting minions.

Now I realize not many tanks play mid and most assassins are squishy and that wouldn't really work but some times you have to play passive in the lane phase. Try to get ganks off your jungle and play the lane passive. I've had many games where I've had to farm under my tower and I still go toe to toe on CS with my opponent. Sometimes its getting over level 3 or 6, for example with Akali against a ranged mid laner would play passive till she gets her ult which allows her to close down and burst ranged champs.

Hope this helps
gamingeekingdom
<Member>
gamingeekingdom's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 6, 2017 11:34pm | Report
It's obvious that during early game, melee champions will have more difficulty when trading with ranged champions. I don't usually used melee ones for mid lane, but when I go for it, I often choose champions like Zed, Diana, Ekko who can burst out the damage when getting into lv 6. Just farming safely and don't play so fiercely at first. Ranged mid champions have little blood so it's not really a great problem for playing melee champions for mid lane.
Niloiv
<Member>
Niloiv's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2017 3:34am | Report
In early levels you farm safely, staying away from your ennemy's range of poke and warding the river to avoid getting ganked.
Generally, you wait until Level 2 or 3 before even thinking to take trades. And most of the time you start a trade only when the ennemy's spells are on cooldown, always keeping an eye on the map!

Weavile, I choose you!
Counter Picks for League (Android App)
Download

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide