Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Playing melee characters?

Creator: Buranri February 8, 2012 3:25pm
1 2
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 3:25pm | Report
So... how do you play melee characters? I can do decently with ranged characters (Twitch, Veigar) but I basically take it up the butt when I try and play someone that's not ranged, like Wukong. I just die constantly, so whoever I'm against in the lane gets way more XP and gold and I just never recover. Suggestions? Obviously ranged is easier, since you don't need to get up close to deal damage. I can't just play ranged characters forever, though, so... yeah.
BSG Talic
<Member>
BSG Talic's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 3:39pm | Report
Well, first thing you need to know is when to initiate a fight and when not to. You have to get close to do any damage and you can be kited by ranged. Learn the limits of a champion to see how much damage you can do and how much you can get away with. Dont just run in and melee harass like a range can do. You need to burst with your skills and get away instead of relying on auto attacks early. Auto attacks are weak early and you will need to use your wit to outsmart your opponent. For example, FotM GP. He can Q all day and harrass top if you dont have sustain. I recommend focusing on farming and build survivability like armor to counter top lane harass.

Pick a champ and learn those skills well so you know what you are capable before you engage.
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 3:47pm | Report
But how do you farm when your opponent can just sit back and harass you endlessly?
BSG Talic
<Member>
BSG Talic's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 3:55pm | Report
I recommend call for ganks or pick a champ who can sustain the hits and farm or harass back. You will need to learn how to harass back. Time your harass inbetween their cooldowns or just build armor and a regrowth pendant and try to farm. Sometimes I play Cho top. Lets say the enemy is running at me like they are going to use a skill. I will silence them and get a few hits him which usually catches them off guard. And which champions are you having trouble dealing with, btw?
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 4:19pm | Report
Being melee is all about the right amount of aggression at the right time.

If you have to face a ranged champ on lane you have to charge him and force him into close combat without involving too many creeps fom his side, before he puts you on a disadvantage with his harass.

Also learn how to counter/evade kiting.

If we were to play rock-paper-scissors.

Melees are rock, kiters are paper while everyting else except for tanks is scissors the moment it gets too close.
Buranri
<Member>
Buranri's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 4:46pm | Report
No specific champions, just ranged ones in general. For example, I was playing Wukong against a Soraka and that's when I decided to post this. It happened playing other champions too, though... Udyr, Olaf, Poppy. All my opponents are bots BTW... too bad of a connection to play normals.
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 4:53pm | Report
It's kinda like playing Vayne in my book. You can't be sitting around waiting for the fight to start...no the enemy will gib you the momment they can. Rather you bid your time waiting for that perfect momment to.....STRIKE!

Pretty much what BSG said, hide and wait for the fight to start then charge out from the fog of war, and suprise them. However, as a melee you don't have to always hide if they lack alot of CC. I've seen Master Yi wait out our CC then walk through us. You just gotta be a little bit smarter.

That is just a little teamfight advice for ya. Also, last hitting is a safe way to stay in the exp and get gold. This forces your lane to push until you're at the tower, which they rarely can harass you under.

The good news is that you are playing Wukong, who has a gap closer allowing you to get into close range quickly poke, and then use Warrior Trickster.
Rudmed
<Editor>
Rudmed's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 4:55pm | Report
Buranri wrote:

No specific champions, just ranged ones in general. For example, I was playing Wukong against a Soraka and that's when I decided to post this. It happened playing other champions too, though... Udyr, Olaf, Poppy. All my opponents are bots BTW... too bad of a connection to play normals.

Udyr ought to be jungling imo. Olaf you can slow them with Undertow then dodge their counterattack. If you get into close range Reckless Swing...all day er day.
BSG Talic
<Member>
BSG Talic's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 6:03pm | Report
Well, since you are playing bots, I will have you know that bots are recklessly aggressive and normal opponents are not that aggressive. But dont let that fool you.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 7:44pm | Report
Rudmed wrote:

Udyr ought to be jungling imo. Olaf you can slow them with Undertow then dodge their counterattack. If you get into close range Reckless Swing...all day er day.

Udyr is a pretty good top laner.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide