Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

The support role.

Creator: Yekk12 June 4, 2011 8:57am
SryImBad
<Member>
SryImBad's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 1:12pm | Report
Yeah, i noticed it too. Although the chances of playing with/against her is 1/200 the rates are BEGINNING to raise. I bet it's because Moba player's imba skillz. (;
Found me any bit helpful? Give me a+Rep if you liked my comment!

Check out my Guides! Click on awesome stamps.
Slowjack
<Member>
Slowjack's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 1:12pm | Report
The one thing about being support: If your team sucks you are wasting your time. My W/L in ranked is trash because I'm either supporting people who get themselves killed anyway, or tanking because everyone else locked squishy carries. There is nothing you can do about this. Some days, being a support is one of the most frustrating roles to be (I main it, I don't know why :/ ) because people might not understand what you bring to the team. Further, when you're dying trying to save their stupid *** and your score is 0-4-4 or 0-3-8 or whatever, your score still looks like **** even though assists are pretty much the most important column. Buying wards is also a bit more of "your job" in common eyes, which also sets you back.

Beware walking down this road... :(

If you still really want to get good with a support champ, Karma is the support I would recommend. She's probably the hardest one out of all of them, because while mantras are a neat mechanic they can also be a frustrating limitation at times. I've built her HP/CDR, I've also managed to carry with her (15/3/17 and 15/9/20 in the last 24 hours... but as an example of my warning, that 2nd game was still a loss). She's just... different. I like that I don't see her often. It's why I decided to start maining her.

Sona is nice, but her ult feels a lot more useless now. I'm not sure if it was just the last game I played her in. I haven't played her a lot in a while... I don't think she's that great anymore.

Soraka is pretty awesome.

Janna is also pretty awesome. Placing of her ult is key, which is why I don't play her as often anymore because you don't really see many AoE teams anymore. Still, Janna + AD Carry = Very nice lane.

Taric is great. Especially when people hate to pick a tank. You can tank with Taric. Just make sure you pop your ult right before the enemy team focuses you. If they have Ignites, you might be in some pain. I don't really recommend being "the tank" but "building tanky"? Fo sho.

Kayle is useless. Well, I should say, every other support supports better. Though depending on the team comp, her ult could be clutch. Not as great as it used to be, but oh well. I've built her like a tank as well, it was neat.

Zilean is... interesting. I remember picking him up ages ago for when I wanted a little more damage and a little less support. Despite things like speed/snare or double bomb or ulting the carry or whatever else, I don't consider him as much of a support champ. Most of the Zils I see usually taper off in the mid to late game, and from there speed/snare/ult is their main purpose. No healing, no shield... two things that are very key to the support role imo. Some AP scaling would be nice too, a fed Karma can support -and- hurt. A fed Zilean is just... well, tbh, it shouldn't happen.

Morgana can still destroy teams. Especially if her team has a lot of melee, because no one will be thinking about her when everyone gets close together... then she ults, then her melee team mates clean up everybody.

I'm about 1000 IP away from Orianna. I'm looking forward to her very much, because the one thing that is a big problem for support chars is having to be dangerously close to their team mates or the enemy to do their job effectively. Karma also faces this limitation with her fans (Q). That being said, if you're still looking for a support champ in a day or two, I'll let you know how my games with her go.

Don't +Rep me at all. I like my obscurity. Thank you.
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 3:27pm | Report
Slowjack wrote:

The one thing about being support: If your team sucks you are wasting your time. My W/L in ranked is trash because I'm either supporting people who get themselves killed anyway, or tanking because everyone else locked squishy carries. There is nothing you can do about this. Some days, being a support is one of the most frustrating roles to be (I main it, I don't know why :/ ) because people might not understand what you bring to the team. Further, when you're dying trying to save their stupid *** and your score is 0-4-4 or 0-3-8 or whatever, your score still looks like **** even though assists are pretty much the most important column. Buying wards is also a bit more of "your job" in common eyes, which also sets you back.

Beware walking down this road... :(

If you still really want to get good with a support champ, Karma is the support I would recommend. She's probably the hardest one out of all of them, because while mantras are a neat mechanic they can also be a frustrating limitation at times. I've built her HP/CDR, I've also managed to carry with her (15/3/17 and 15/9/20 in the last 24 hours... but as an example of my warning, that 2nd game was still a loss). She's just... different. I like that I don't see her often. It's why I decided to start maining her.

Sona is nice, but her ult feels a lot more useless now. I'm not sure if it was just the last game I played her in. I haven't played her a lot in a while... I don't think she's that great anymore.

Soraka is pretty awesome.

Janna is also pretty awesome. Placing of her ult is key, which is why I don't play her as often anymore because you don't really see many AoE teams anymore. Still, Janna + AD Carry = Very nice lane.

Taric is great. Especially when people hate to pick a tank. You can tank with Taric. Just make sure you pop your ult right before the enemy team focuses you. If they have Ignites, you might be in some pain. I don't really recommend being "the tank" but "building tanky"? Fo sho.

Kayle is useless. Well, I should say, every other support supports better. Though depending on the team comp, her ult could be clutch. Not as great as it used to be, but oh well. I've built her like a tank as well, it was neat.

Zilean is... interesting. I remember picking him up ages ago for when I wanted a little more damage and a little less support. Despite things like speed/snare or double bomb or ulting the carry or whatever else, I don't consider him as much of a support champ. Most of the Zils I see usually taper off in the mid to late game, and from there speed/snare/ult is their main purpose. No healing, no shield... two things that are very key to the support role imo. Some AP scaling would be nice too, a fed Karma can support -and- hurt. A fed Zilean is just... well, tbh, it shouldn't happen.

Morgana can still destroy teams. Especially if her team has a lot of melee, because no one will be thinking about her when everyone gets close together... then she ults, then her melee team mates clean up everybody.

I'm about 1000 IP away from Orianna. I'm looking forward to her very much, because the one thing that is a big problem for support chars is having to be dangerously close to their team mates or the enemy to do their job effectively. Karma also faces this limitation with her fans (Q). That being said, if you're still looking for a support champ in a day or two, I'll let you know how my games with her go.

True statement in regards to wasting your time on certain teams.
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 3:46pm | Report
I love the fact that nobody mentions getting GP quints on supports. They're so good considering you get "set back" by buying wards and have to give a lot of CS to your lane-mate.

Thank you to jhoijhoi for the sig, and all the dividers in the guide.

Slowjack
<Member>
Slowjack's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 3:47pm | Report
I take back what I said about Sona.

I don't know how long of a period this site has been tracking data, but of all the champs with the best W/L it is Sona. Support champ on the top. :D

Perhaps I'll give her a spin again and see.

Don't +Rep me at all. I like my obscurity. Thank you.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 3:56pm | Report
Sona is one of the best supports with Soraka and Janna following close behind.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 4:52pm | Report
Yeah sona is just nastyyyyyyyy.......
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
SryImBad
<Member>
SryImBad's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 5:13pm | Report
Still in love with Karma here. Just sayin'.

External
<Member>
External's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 7:37pm | Report
Sona is the best overall support champion because she can do damage, heal and crowd control
SryImBad
<Member>
SryImBad's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 5, 2011 7:38pm | Report
AD Sona, get@it.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide