Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Doubt about MOBAFIRE guide ranking. Help!

Creator: White Cr0w March 3, 2015 2:28am
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:20am | Report
I looked into this and I'm pretty sure it's because your guide has recent downvotes, but the bar represents your overall votes, not your recent votes. As Joxuu said, it works off that ranking system he mentioned where recent votes are counted and eventually older votes are not. So, it actually is in the right place in the rankings, the display is just confusing.

[deleted] wrote:

The mobafire guide ranking system is terrible since forever I believe. There are 4 different guide pages which all give different rankings, because of the position on google these pages have.

This is not true, the guide pages all use the same ranking. I think this was true at one point but this has been fixed for a long time.

We're almost done with an update to the bar display that will show the score your guide is being ranked off of, not flat score, so it will be more clear why certain guides are above others.

I know this has been a long time coming, and I thank you guys for being so patient. I hope once this update is through you will be more confident in the guide rankings. From all our testing they are working and accurate, it's just the current display does not fit with the rankings and causes confusion.

We're just waiting to fix up something else before we put out the guide score update, which you guys are going to love. ;)
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Foxy Riven
<Editor>
Foxy Riven's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:22am | Report
We love you Mowen <3
(Check out my guides, they're linked to their pictures!)

If I helped you in any way, that +REP is always nice^^
[deleted]
<Editor>
oxide110's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:25am | Report
Mowen wrote:
I looked into this and I'm pretty sure it's because your guide has recent downvotes, but the bar represents your overall votes, not your recent votes. As Joxuu said, it works off that ranking system he mentioned where recent votes are counted and eventually older votes are not. So, it actually is in the right place in the rankings, the display is just confusing.

This is not true, the guide pages all use the same ranking. I think this was true at one point but this has been fixed for a long time.

We're almost done with an update to the bar display that will show the score your guide is being ranked off of, not flat score, so it will be more clear why certain guides are above others.

I know this has been a long time coming, and I thank you guys for being so patient. I hope once this update is through you will be more confident in the guide rankings. From all our testing they are working and accurate, it's just the current display does not fit with the rankings and causes confusion.

We're just waiting to fix up something else before we put out the guide score update, which you guys are going to love. ;)

Fantastic news

London is one hour ahead of the rest of England -Luther3000
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:26am | Report
\o\ /o/ \o/
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
TheRealCefor
<Member>
TheRealCefor's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 10:52am | Report
I actually believe the ranking system might be off. About 3 months ago I had my guide front-paged for a week straight. This guide was only 3 days old when it got front-paged. The guide is archived now though but how did someone like me get front-paged so quickly?
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2015 11:41am | Report
Yeah, maybe it's "working as intended", but to me it does seem a little weird that the 2nd and 3rd top rated guides on the site right now are both guides with 11 votes. IMO the system is being waaaay too easily influenced by your most recent votes as opposed to your votes as a whole. I get that the whole point of that change a while back was to make it so that it was actually possible to prevent the top rated guides from remaining top rated even if they were **** or out-dated, but I think we need to find more of a balance. Quite a lot of high rated guides right now are literally just brand new guides.
White Cr0w
<Backstabber>
White Cr0w's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2015 8:27am | Report
Thanks for the answer, Mowen!

Yeah, maybe it's "working as intended", but to me it does seem a little weird that the 2nd and 3rd top rated guides on the site right now are both guides with 11 votes. IMO the system is being waaaay too easily influenced by your most recent votes as opposed to your votes as a whole. I get that the whole point of that change a while back was to make it so that it was actually possible to prevent the top rated guides from remaining top rated even if they were **** or out-dated, but I think we need to find more of a balance. Quite a lot of high rated guides right now are literally just brand new guides.

Pretty much this.

So I can create a new guide, ask few friends to upvote it and after few votes... TADAAAA! I am the top 1 guide of a website with thousands of views everyday!

While I consider that the guide update time (fresh, etc) should be a important factor on the rating, giving so much power to the recent votes make the list kinda chaotic, and may demotivate active users seeing their in depth long time guides -that they keep updating!- being demoted by new guides with 3-4 votes without much content/effort on them.

If the system gives so much importance to recent guides, administrators should think a way to let users vote more than once (1 per month/patch/whatever)? Otherwise, no matter how good a guide is and how much updated is, it will end falling down since the same users that voted their guides will end up voting other guides of the same champion as the time goes by.

Or just don't add any guide to the top list if it hasn't been updated in 5-6 patches.

PD: I also miss the "new guides" tab, while I don't know if I would visit/vote them, since they could downgrade my own guides due to my recent vote! xDDD
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2015 8:56am | Report
Also, I just checked the Talon guides, and the problem of all pages displaying guides in a different order isn't exactly fixed yet.

Guides when you click Talon at the bottom of the page.

Guides when you click Talon from the champion database.

Most of the guides that get their order switched around are just 1 vote guides, where you could say they all have the same rank so the order doesn't matter, but there's another guide at the end with 2 votes in the first screenshot, which in the second screenshot gets knocked out of its spot by a guide with no votes.

And this part seems to be completely off too.

White Cr0w
<Backstabber>
White Cr0w's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 4:53am | Report
Aloha guys!

A new lol today:

The currently best Guide is an outdated troll one (tank shaco OP) that has 4 votes. The Top 2 Guide HAS NO VOTES AT ALL (or maybe is voted down only) and is a trollbuild too.
Of course, the bad Wikipro guide, done by a Diamond player, with ovr 2 million views, +170 votes and almost 90% of those votes positive stay on the 3th place.

Depending on where you come from you may also see the Illuminati guide (with no votes) as the most voted guide, staying on top 1.
My own guide, with 300k views and over 40 positive votes isn't even on the list.

Admins, you should take a look into this ASAP. It demotivates creators a lot, and make us feel that the effort we put on improving/creating guides with updated content are pointless.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2015 6:08am | Report
Additionally, this is now the top 3 rated guides:

Up until recently the 2nd highest rated was a Fizz guide which also had 11 upvotes, much like Embracing's Nidalee guide. Where's that guide now? Well you'd think it got a downvote and dropped down in rating. And you'd be half right. What actually happened is it got an upvote and dropped in rating. Now it's the 39th highest rated guide on MOBAFire, even though it's got 12 upvotes vs Embracing's 11 upvotes guide. They both have "100%" rating in the sense that neither guide has ever been downvoted, so it makes no sense that it would drop in rating for getting an upvote.

And again, just taking the time to point out that it's ridiculous for a guide with 11 votes to be higher rated than all of these.

The rating system is literally broken.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide