Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Embedded gifs eat a lot of cpu

Creator: BLahz April 20, 2021 9:38am
BLahz
<Member>
BLahz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 20, 2021 9:38am | Report
Hi,

I noticed today that my Firefox 87.0 on windows was eating a lot of cpu (around 50% constantly). I pinned it down to this guide, which hss a lot of autoplay gifs. After stopping all the gifs from playing manually the cpu usage dropped to 2-5%#.
Hades4u
<Lead Community Manager>
Hades4u's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 20, 2021 10:26am | Report
Hey @ BLahz! In the case of the guide you've linked, it's not only the GIFs, it's also the sheer size of the guide altogether. Unfortunately I don't think we can do much about the loading times. :(

The author would have to change their GIFs and the content of their guides if they wish to decrease the loading time of their guide. GIF auto-play can be turned off but that's the choice of every author.

Have you also tried using a different browser? I'm checking the guide using Google Chrome and I don't notice any abnormal CPU usage.
BLahz
<Member>
BLahz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 20, 2021 10:52am | Report
It's not about the loading times, it's about the massive cpu usage. I don't think it's natural for something as light as gifs eating up 50% of the cpu full time :P
Hades4u
<Lead Community Manager>
Hades4u's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 21, 2021 5:41am | Report
Hey @ BLahz! I'll inform the team about this issue but I'm not sure if we can do something about it. I would suggest trying another browser to find out if the same issue occurs. I'll also ping the author (@ Maintained) and maybe they could look into compressing their GIFs to reduce load time/usage.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll look into it when we get the chance!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide