Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Warning/Infraction System

Creator: Jebus McAzn January 13, 2011 8:04pm
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 13, 2011 8:04pm | Report
It's come to my attention that MOBAFire does have some very fair rules, but not a very hard way to enforce them. For example, I remember a recent guide that DEWO archived due to 5000 character cheating, which the author then unarchived. DEWO archived it again, and the author unarchived it. DEWO did it a third time and gave a typed warning to the author, and he finally stopped. Still, this is tedious and undermines the authority that our moderators/admins should have.

On every forum/wiki website I've been on, there's been a series of administrators/moderators that have the power to give warnings or infractions to users. Smogon, for example, has a system with points, with minor warnings being one point and more major ones being, obviously, more points. When a user reaches a certain amount of points, he/she is banned until their points expire (usually within 2 weeks to a month of their assignment).

Maybe we don't need to go too far - MOBAFire is a nice community, from what I see, but the power to warn people about things they're doing wrong and infract/ban them for more serious issues seems essential in the near future, giving how popular MOBAFire is becoming. Warnings could be used for small things like 5000 character cheating (first time offense), spam, trolling, or posting threads without reading rules. Infractions would be for multiple offenses in any of the above, as well as other, more serious things.

I also suggest that this power be reserved to moderators and administrators only - the veteran base is quite large and I'm not sure whether giving them the power is such a great idea, to be perfectly honest. Obviously this will be optimal whenever a second or third Moderator is promoted.

TL;DR -
*Warning system to keep the community in control - power granted to mods and admins
*Warnings are minor, infractions are major
*Temporary bans after too many warnings/infractions
*Permanent IP bans after repeated violations

Can we put some serious thought into this? Thanks.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 13, 2011 8:11pm | Report

Smogon, for example...

I love you.

FlashJ
<Administrator>
FlashJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 13, 2011 10:30pm | Report
Hmmm, interesting idea.

I will toss it around a bit with Matt and see what we come up with.

Our philosophy from day one has been minimal moderation. We believe that you can't force a community to be anything other than what it is. This one has some fangs but its got way more good qualities to drown that out. Lots of good people mean the community experience will be relatively good as well.

Its also been my experience that moderation breeds moderation. Its a self feeding machine, the more you moderate the more rules you need to stop people getting around the old rules and the more moderating you need to do. The more moderating you need to do the more arguments that take place. In the end it doesn't serve anyone any good and creates a whole pile of extra work and bad feelings.

So while we usually shy away from more moderation and look for other solutions I do like this suggestion for our existing level of moderation... we'll think about this one I'm sure

thanks for the suggestion

FlashJ
"Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
Shrillex
<Veteran>
Shrillex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 13, 2011 10:54pm | Report
I like it a lot!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2011 1:22pm | Report
Can't see why it wouldn't be good.

Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2011 10:13pm | Report
We will be adding the ability for mods to completely remove a build, in order to prevent this kind of thing, it's just not in yet. We have the ability to ban users and IP addresses as well (admins only, mods can't do this), and we DO ban people now and then, we just don't make a lot of unnecessary fanfare about it.

If we get reports of someone being particularly abusive we will always look into it and if we feel it necessary we will ban them.

As Flash said we prefer not to turn this into a moderator sweatshop. Often times the extra attention is exactly what these people are looking for. When it gets out of hand we'll ban them, otherwise they tend to get bored pretty damn quick when they get ignored.

I also don't really like the idea of automating things like this. I'd rather review things personally on a case by case basis, when necessary. It's not like we're overrun by spam and trolls, so far things have been pretty good.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide