Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Hello everyone! Intro + looking for advice

Creator: Hawkeye998 May 2, 2015 7:51am
1 2 3 4 5
Hawkeye998
<Member>
Hawkeye998's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2015 7:51am | Report
Hi guys, I'm Hawkeye (and have been since before I knew of the Marvel character). I don't usually get involved in online communities but I like League a lot and would like to get to know more people who play it.

My experience: I started playing League in January this year, around the time I got a temporary roommate who plays it. I didn't play too frequently and I often grouped with my brother and/or his friends who are mostly Gold, but I made my way to level 24. About a month ago my ****py laptop finally worsened to the point where League was not playable, so I stopped playing. When my Xbox One was stolen I decided to invest the money to replace it (and a fair bit more on top of that) into build a gaming desktop, which I completed last weekend. Now that I'm playing again I would really like to improve.

Goals: I'm at level 25 now and I know that my skills are firmly bronze, which I would like to change before I start playing ranked games (I know I'll be at 30 for a while before then). The only area I'm not weak in is game knowledge (i.e. meta, champion, and build knowledge, basically the stuff you can learn without playing). My mechanics are terrible, my micro play needs work, and my macro play is non-existent. My baseline goal for ranked is Bronze IV, my optimistic goal is Silver V. I know that I mainly just need to play more for now, as I only have 78 wins in normals, but I would also appreciate some input on champions.

Top: Probably my weakest lane. I used to play Jarvan but stopped with the nerfs and definitely don't have any skill with him. The only meta top I own is Rumble, and the only other top I own that I've used is Xin, who I don't like. I'm thinking of picking up Maokai.

Jungle: One of the two lanes that I'm most interested in learning. I've started using Sejuani and I own Nunu and some non-meta picks but I haven't used any of those. Thinking of learning Gragas and Rek'Sai, although for some reason I feel like I wouldn't enjoy Rek'Sai.

Mid: The lane I played the most before my break. I mained LeBlanc and am reasonably comfortable on her, while I also played a tiny bit of Talon. I'm thinking of learning Zed and Ahri.

ADC: The other role I'm interested in learning and the other lane I'm especially weak at. Currently I use Graves and I also own Sivir and Kog'Maw. I'd like to learn Jinx and maybe Lucian?

Support: Probably my "best" role in the short time I've been playing again. I enjoy playing Morgana and I also own Annie. I'm thinking of learning Thresh and Janna/Lulu.

Summary: Lanes by skill (if I had any) would probably go Support > Mid > Jungle > ADC > Top. Lanes by interest would go ADC > Jungle > Support > Mid > Top.

So basically I'd like to know what champs you think I should learn. I know the champs I said I'm thinking of learning are all strong picks. Also is a goal pool of 3 champs per lane a good thing to strive for at this point, or should I focus on developing one comfort pick in each first? In the same vein as that, should I get comfortable with all roles or should I focus on getting somewhat adept in one or two roles and then expanding?

If you read this whole thing then thank you! I look forward to your feedback and maybe getting involved in this community and getting to know some of you.

tl;dr - Hi!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2015 7:56am | Report
I can help in game if you are on EUNE (or EUW basically) :>

And whale*** Welcome!

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Hawkeye998
<Member>
Hawkeye998's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2015 7:59am | Report
I knew I would forget to mention something! I'm NA, which seems to be the less-used server among the regulars here from what I've seen.

*Edit* And thanks! Happy to be here.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2015 8:02am | Report
You metahoar you :^)

I think you should see all champs and know what they do before you even worry about what to focus on. You have to get a grasp of what each is capable and why they're strong picks (or not). Of course you should always have some to fall onto, but knowing the basics of each is a good thing IMO.

I don't think you should worry about diving into ranked play, specially if your lowest goal is Bronze 4. It will pummel your will to play this game. You should only worry about that when you feel pretty comfortable with the game and a roster of champs. You should also have 1-2 roles you are good at, and try to have common picks that you can get for multiple roles (Per example, Lulu can support, mid or toplane).

If you're on EUW I can also be of service
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 2, 2015 8:03am | Report
Yeah, try to get a grasp on what every champion really does. Play something like 200 normals at level 30 before diving in to ranked so you won't get stuck in Bronze.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 12:31am | Report
Welcome to the community, Hawkeye!

To answer your question, you should 'master' one role to the best of your ability, but you should know how to really play each role to the extent to which you can at the bare minimum hold your own against other players of your skill level.

I'm on NA, so if you're interested in some mentoring, add me (summoner name: Keanu Reeves), and I'll see what I can do to help
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Sirnikolai
<Member>
Sirnikolai's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 4:21am | Report
I will give you some of advice about the runes in this game.

Using your IP buy 9 or more if you wish of the Lv 3 runes
(I know these are lv 1 runes Geez)

Mark of Attack Damage
Mark of Attack Speed
Mark of Critical Chance
Mark of Critical Damage
Mark of Armor Penetration
Mark of Magic Penetration
Mark of Hybrid Penetration (especially good with Ziggs, Teemo.
Mark of Armor
Mark of Magic Resist

Seal of Armor
Seal of Health
Seal of Scaling Armor
Seal of Scaling Health
Seal of Scaling Mana

Glyph of Magic Resist
Glyph of Ability Power
Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction
Glyph of Energy

Quint of Movement Speed (Only 3)
Quint of Life Steal (Only 3)

I need to buy IP Boost pack with RP because yea I'm behind in my Lv3 Runes.
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 6:50am | Report
^You don't need to buy all of those runes and to be honest I nearly haven't bought any.
Armor and MR is essential, AP/AD quints are really helpful, as are movement speed quints.
I'm not going to mention marks because they get really specific.

Basically MOBAFire.
Sirnikolai
<Member>
Sirnikolai's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 7:08am | Report
^You don't need to buy all of those runes and to be honest I nearly haven't bought any.
Armor and MR is essential, AP/AD quints are really helpful, as are movement speed quints.
I'm not going to mention marks because they get really specific.

2 have a successfull rune page for a decent pool of champions yes you do.

Gylph of Energy is mainly use for Akali & Katarina a few others as well. Have that with CDR runes your going to kick tail.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2015 7:13am | Report
Eeeeeeeeehm, Katarina doesn't have energy buddy.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide