Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Magical Damage or Attack Damage?

Creator: ShenMasterFlash April 7, 2011 12:47pm
ShenMasterFlash
<Member>
ShenMasterFlash's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2011 12:47pm | Report
Ok this is a VERY noob question. I have played mostly characters that are tanky/need defense. I understrand that against melee DPS chars I sohuld get Armor stuff + thornmail and stuff, and against casters Force of Nature and Banshee's Veil are awesome. But I mean, on the one hand, I know annie/veigar/ryze etc deal magic damage. On the other I know that Yi and I guess like Katarina are melee. But what about ranged champs like Ashe or Tristana. Are there projectiles regular damage or magic? Or are autoattacks physical and any abilities magical? Basically, I don't know anything! Any help on knowing what armor items to get would be great!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 7, 2011 12:53pm | Report
All autoattacks are physical damage, no matter who the champion.

From my FAQ:

A. Ability power (ap) is the most common stat for your skills to scale off of. If your skill scales off ability power the numbers will be written in green when you mouseover them. Ability power skills typically deal magic damage. Attack damage (ad) increases the strength of your autoattacks and scales of some skills. If your skill scales off attack damage its number will appear in red. Some skills that scale off ad deal physical damage, some deal magic damage, you will have to read the text to be sure.

Also, Kat often builds AP, as well as Kassadin, another melee hero. The range vs melee has nothing to do with what kind've damage they deal, you just have to know the champ. If you are questioning what kind've damage an enemy deals, just ask your team! Even if they call you noob, they will be glad you're being a more effective tank! ^.^

I would suggest reading my FAQ (look in my sig) if you are new to the game or have questions about game mechanics.

Tell me if you want more clarification.
Thanks to Minho for my sig!
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 8, 2011 5:03am | Report
I would like you to visit this site:
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_of_Legends_Wiki

and just read about champs.

All skills are described quite good and nearly always say if the damage is magic/physical/true.

Ofc there are some exeptions like Kog maw doing both physical + magical % based one, same for teemo and so on.

You just have to read through the champs...
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide