Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Returning to LoL, Looking To Do One of those...

Creator: Aeacus11 September 13, 2013 2:54pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2
Aeacus11
<Member>
Aeacus11's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 13, 2013 2:54pm | Report
Hey all,

Taken a few months off of LoL lately. Back when I was playing frequently, I climbed rank playing pretty much only as a filler - didn't have ANY main champion or main role, and would just fill what everyone didn't want to play.

I was never very good, but not terrible, at my peak I hit Gold IV, so nothing spectacular. But I have been getting excited for worlds, and went back and watched alot of the LCS that I missed during my time off, and my interest in LoL got sparked again.

So I'm BACK to ranked, and determined to get back into it. However, this time, I'm hoping to do things differently. Instead of just filling in whatever role, I'd really like to not only main a role, but to see how far I can climb with one champion. So I come here looking for some recommendations of champions that I might try out. Here are some things that I would like to look for in a champ, that maybe you can help me with.

1. Not the most challenging mechanical champ. I know my strengths, and I don't have the best mechanics. I'm better at kind of game sense and making decisions better than other players.

2. Not "underpowered" (or considered by most to be UP). I'm not one of those guys looking to master Heimerdinger and ride him to platinum.

3. Not OVERLY popular. I've been out of the scene for awhile, but there will always be those champions - Shen is one that comes to mind - that is always both considered VERY powerful and VERY popular. I would like it if my champ were considered a little bit rare at least, or just not ubiquitous in ranked.

4. Doesn't get TOO bullied in lane. This might sound weird, I just hate playing those champs that in the laning phase have to play like sissies and just get bullied around, giving up CS etc. I would prefer to do the bullying!

5. Maybe can play multiple roles? Obviously I'd be able to play a champ more if I can play it in more than one role. But this isn't exactly required.

6. Not ADC. I DO know one role I stink at, and this is it.

7. SOME form of mobility in fights. Doesn't need to be a SUPER mobile champ ( Fizz, I'm looking at you), but I know that when I play champs like, say, TF, I just don't play as well. I like to be able to move around a bit.

Other than that, I'm very open to suggestions! If you have any questions for me, I'd love to answer them. Thanks in advance!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2013 12:51pm | Report
It's really hard to give suggestions because of all your qualifications, but also since you will have to play different roles sometimes than the one the champ is considered best at. Also, if the champ is good in solo queue it might be picked or banned sometimes even if it's not considered super popular.

One of the first that came to my mind was Elise since she can play Top, Jungle, Mid, or Support and is a lane dominance champ. She's banned sometimes though and picked often.

Nidalee can also play Mid, Top, and Support, and is picked less often, but still sometimes.

Malphite can do Mid, Top, Jungle, and Support. Still picked sometimes.

I mean really, the only way you can ensure you play the SAME champ every game is to pick a pretty offbeat champion, and even though a lot of the ones I mentioned are fine in all of these roles since they're uncommon / offbeat in some roles you might be yelled at for being a troll.

You're at least in a good place to do it right now since a lot of AD casters can be played jungle, mid, or top. I can think of Zed, Jarvan IV, Kha'Zix, Tryndamere, Lee Sin. Again, some are better in some roles than others.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2013 1:04pm | Report
Xin Zhao.

Easy to play, not popular, can play top, jungle and possibly mid (even though jungle is optimal) and is a really strong lane champion if you choose to play him there.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 15, 2013 2:30pm | Report
I honestly don't think there's a point in you doing something with those kinds of qualifications. It sounds more like you asking us "Which is the secret champion every pro uses to get to high elo?"

But eh, w/e.

Jarvan IV, but he's a highly contested pick.
Zac, but banned a lot.
Akali can be a good choice, but she needs a lot of good judgement with her recent nerfs.
Irelia is another good choice, but if you want to do multiple roles you're going to need to learn how to mid + jungle her, which is totally possible.
Kha'Zix is another good choice, and actually fits your criteria except for the bullying part.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 17, 2013 1:32pm | Report
Talon? :P
Isolanporzellator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 18, 2013 7:54am | Report
I strongly recommend you try out Wukong. He is a really strong laner, can go top/mid/jungle and is able to destroy these damn annoying Nasuses, Elises and Zacs running around lately.
On top of that, he has a really high potential skill cap, especially with his Warrior Trickster, and a reliable gapcloser.
He also doesn't fall of lategame because his Cyclone is just so devastating in teamfights.
Plus he is rarely banned or contested and can fill both tanky and carry roles, depending on his items (I don't actually understand why he isn't popular).

So yeah, he's outrageous

An alternative would be Vi, another champ with strong CC, damage and mobility, while being not very popular (I sometimes see her banned, though). Plus she has strong lane bullying potential and is damn hard to gank because of Vault Breaker.

Both of these are also very fun to play, but there is just one champion outshining any other champ in terms of "fun-to-play", which is LeBlanc. Barely ever played, insanely mobile and huuuuge burst and bully potential. Dies if you get hit, though^^. It might not fit if you are not so well with mechanics, but playing a normal game and juking all day long is just too much fun, so I mentioned it^^.

Do not play supports, because they suck if you have a bad adc, and most of them also suck on other lanes.
Feel free to have a look at one of my champion Guides:

Or have a short look at my champion ideas.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2013 8:14am | Report
Fiddlesticks: Strong jungler and support, decent mid, passable top.

Poppy: (I did this one myself) mediocre jungler, mediocre mid, decent support, decent top
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2013 8:19am | Report

An alternative would be Vi, another champ with strong CC, damage and mobility, while being not very popular (I sometimes see her banned, though). Plus she has strong lane bullying potential and is damn hard to gank because of Vault Breaker.

BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Isolanporzellator's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2013 9:00am | Report

Why not - lol?
Feel free to have a look at one of my champion Guides:

Or have a short look at my champion ideas.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2013 9:05am | Report
Not mechanically heavy but with mobility, the possiblity to fulfill multiple roles and not underpowered but also not popular and/or overpowered.

Have you played this game before?
1 2

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide