Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Hardware Failure

Creator: Matt February 16, 2011 9:14am
28 posts - page 2 of 3
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 8:17pm | Report
Trojan995 wrote:

Here's a narrative of what this down-time did to me (I don't blame the admins, but it's a funny story):

Last night, 5pm ish (or about whenever the site went down)

"YES! My 3 hours of work finally paid off! My guide is complete!"

*after refreshing every 30 seconds for the next 5 minutes*

"YES! AN UPVOTE!"

*after refreshing every 30 seconds for the next 5 minutes*

"wtf? server down?"

*after refreshing every 30 seconds for the next 12+ hours*

"YAY! MOBAFIRE IS UP!"

*after finding this thread*

"omgee that means my build is probably gone!"

*after logging in with my ridiculously long, randomly generated password*

"where's my guide? FFFFFUUUUUUU-"

That's the horrible story of how 3 hours of hard labor went into pleasing one person for 5 minutes.

Even thought I didn't see it, I bet it was good :o

Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 9:05pm | Report
I feel your pain guys, I'm REALLY upset about this. We have various extra redundancies set up to specifically prevent this from happening, it was really a freak "multiple failures" situation. I tell you what though, I'll spend some time trying to get at some of the data that was lost. I'll get back to you here and let you know how it goes, don't get your hopes up too much but I will see what I can do.
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 11:19pm | Report
Thanks for all your hard work guys, we really appreciate it =)
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
The Angry Cookie
<Member>
The Angry Cookie's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 11:20pm | Report
I retyped it all lol.. Just strapped down and fought through the pain! Haha Thanks for not rolling back any further than you did.. Then I would have died!
The Angry Cookie
<Member>
The Angry Cookie's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 11:21pm | Report
Good job getting it back up. I have seen whole sites go under from things like that.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 11:26pm | Report
FlashJ wrote:

Sorry guys, as you can imagine it was a hair pulling day for us as well. Matt was up almost 24 hours trying to get things fixed with the host. He is sleeping now :P

Oh i dont have to imagine that :P When i was accualy sleeping, working or eatin some lunch, Matt was constantly working working working for this to take as little drawback as possible and most of all to be even able to do ANYTHING. For the huge part of that downtime he didnt even accualy have any possibility to do anything, even to check how corrupted the database was. This was the biggest stress for us and mainly for him. So thx matt for turning into a zombie that doesnt need sleep.

If you lost a whole guide... that is the biggest issue you could get here coz of the hardware failure. My guides are created over 3 months (mainly) not 3 hours, so i keep a backup in txt and doc files on my hdd at work/home. I suggest doing so. Less stress for you or admins :)

There has to be 1st time, we survived this one. And i must say it isnt THAT bad. Lets get back to our normal activities trolling threads/builds/guides, and downvoting **** ones.

Go Go my minions! DOWNVOTE EVERYTHING IN REVENGE FOR THE DOWNTIME!
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 16, 2011 11:45pm | Report
Except for Xai's. That'd be real bad.
FreestyleZer0
<Member>
FreestyleZer0's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2011 2:14am | Report
All my hard work to find a way to get a picture link for my build in the signature down the drain as i do not remember how it was done and the post i eventually placed after the hard work was also gone.

No no just kidding,

But i did lose 5-6 hours of editing work on my build (it's pretty new so not a big deal, no votes/posts yet)altough i was still like, DOH *facepalm*.

I do seem to spend alot of time on this site recently so when i couldn't enter i was like, is it on? no...... 30 secs later, is it on? no..... and so on for like 3 hours XD.

Nice idea to save your builds on a .txt document, i'll do that.
I even tried making a build once without being logged in thus losing it wasting 5 hours >.<
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2011 3:25am | Report
Yes, unfortunately due to the way this happened we couldn't even put up a page to notify you guys of the problem. In the future, if you're ever not sure what's up, you can check in with us on our Facebook page. We will post there and answer questions if we are unable to do so here :)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MOBAFire/198663187969

FreestyleZer0, since we modified the way guide saving works, that should no longer be a problem (saving when logged out). Just open a new tab, log in, go back to your other tab and click save again :)
FreestyleZer0
<Member>
FreestyleZer0's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 17, 2011 4:38am | Report
Oh okay.

Yeah i didn't know that, but i lost the page and could not find it anymore (accidently klicked save, got redirected and could not go back) so that would not have been possible anyways i think.

But not really an problem because when i wrote a complete new build/guide i did it in a completely different way (which is much better now that i think about it :P).

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide