Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Build me a computer

Creator: Mooninites May 14, 2014 11:29am
3 posts - page 1 of 1
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2014 11:29am | Report
So my laptop has had better days. In the past month I had to get an external fan because the heatsink wasn't cooling it well enough, the audio card is dead, and my harddrive is failing.

I'm going to need a new ocmputer because it seems unlikely that this one will last much longer.

My friend is pretty good with computers and said he'll build me one if I get the parts. So I come to you mobafire what should my computer be

Budget: $1200, no more than $1600

Goal: Exceptional for video games, streaming, producing video content, etc.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2014 2:23pm | Report
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3K3S8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3K3S8/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3K3S8/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($234.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($138.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($132.98 @ Best Buy)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1471.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-14 17:17 EDT-0400)

Just a quick build I made, it's in the middle of your budget so you have a bit of room to buy an OS or upgrade CPU/GPU. There's a ton of money to be saved here, like if you don't need an SSD, don't need/want a higher end motherboard, if you don't plan to expand in the future you won't need 750W power supply, if you don't need 16gb RAM or don't care about the brand and speed you can replace it, and with the money you saved you can upgrade CPU to 4770k and/or upgrade GPU to GTX 780 (or the AMD equivalent). I'm sure it's not the most optimal but it is what it is =)
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2014 5:29pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

Budget: $1200, no more than $1600

Goal: Exceptional for video games, streaming, producing video content, etc.

You up for overclocking? It's very simple to get a "mild" overclock like from 3.5GHz to 4.2GHz.

The CPU of choice would probably be i5 4670K since it's top-tier while also keeping a reasonable price/performance ratio.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a good CPU cooler for ~35$. Thermalright Silver Arrow is a monster, but also costs double. Make your choice.

Thermal armor is garbage. It's more a marketing gimmick than anything else.
Asus Maximus VI Hero is a very solid premium motherboard. There is a newer version called Maximus VII Hero that supports Intel's next generation of CPUs and M2 SSDs, but if you're buying a CPU now and won't be upgrading then that's pretty pointless, and there are almost no M2 SSDs on the market. So the newer version has limited advantages, but it does come with a few new functions for the audio manager (it has a good sound card).
You're gonna have to decide on whether you'll want the slightly more future-proof one with a few more functions or the older one for ~40$ less.

For RAM you'll want 1600MHz or more. As long as you're above 1600 performance won't differ too much. The biggest difference is from 1333 to 1600.
Crucial makes good cheap CL9 RAM. Have a look at their Ballistix Sport VLP 16GB 1600MHz. Low voltage, low latency, very small size, good price. Can't beat that really.

GTX 770, GTX 760 and R9 270X are the GPUs to look at. Most brands make good fans except for Gigabyte. Just pick the cheapest version.
The most power/performance you can get is likely the GTX770 for 300$.

Samsung has built a reputation for stable SSDs. Their 840 EVO 250GB is the one to look at.
The Western Digital Red 3TB drive is insane value for a stable and quiet drive. You might think it'll be too much at first, but after a few years it will fill up.

Most 500+W 80+Gold certified or higher PSUs will do the job. Modularity is a plus. Corsair HX650 is likely a good choice.

Fractal Design R4 is a great case.

Don't bother with an internal optical drive unless you use CDs a lot. Get a USB-driven one instead so you can make use of it where you need it and when you need it, rather than having it stuck in the PC.

As for screen and peripherals, do you need them?
Screen can probably fit in the 1600pricerange, but if you're in need of gaming peripherals then you'll have to sacrifice other things, bust the budget completely or delay some purchases.

The build above totals about 1400$ with the two more expensive alternatives. You can cut off 80$ if you go for the cheaper ones.
I put together a list too since such a site was linked in this thread already.
Expensive ver: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3KaAU
Cheap ver: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3KaJD

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide