Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

For all of you pianists.

Creator: Zylmoc November 18, 2014 7:51am
9 posts - page 1 of 1
Zylmoc
<Member>
Zylmoc's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2014 7:51am | Report
I'd love to join you! I have spent sometime learning the notes and have spent sometime with my old band teacher going over the fingerings, but the time has come that I would purchase my own. Do you have any suggestions as to how i would go about doing this? Do you have a favorite brand? What would you estimate the cost would look like for the keyboard itself, the stand, and a book or two/ I have my own metronome but that is about it.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 18, 2014 8:45am | Report
Well, if you're budgeting, then a digital piano is better - what's your budget?

Budget notwithstanding, Yamaha have the most consistent keyboards. Make sure that they keys are weighted - this is the most important thing. If it doesn't, make sure to get a sustain pedal as well. Casio brand is also quite famous and popular, but I've never owned one myself.

This website has a pretty good number of affordable pianos for you to look at.

As for books... how long have you been playing the piano? There are a lot of beginner books you can start with to learn all the appropriate techniques. I'll just look through some of my old music and give some of my recommendations. Are you trying to learn techniques or are you just looking for music to play?
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 19, 2014 2:19pm | Report
First understand what you want to focus on - classical or modern?

If you want to learn classical you should definitely get a piano. The keys on the keyboard weigh differently and the sound that comes from a piano is much more rich. Pianos are extremely expensive and are a huge investment, so make sure you have enough dedication to play it for a few years.

If you don't really know or just wanna play modern songs just get a keyboard. They're a lot cheaper and can be customized easily. If you're into classical but can't afford a piano or don't know if you're dedicated enough, there are keyboards that mock pianos with weights on the keys. Though they cost more than normal keyboards they're a lot cheaper than pianos.

Yamaha is a good start for both pianos and keyboards.

If you want to just play songs, you could honestly just start learning the songs immediately. However I recommend working on fundamentals (hand posture, finger movement, timings, etc) if you're in it for the long run. It's hard to know what you're doing wrong and how to fix it so it's best to get a piano teacher.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 19, 2014 2:22pm | Report
Not everyone can go straight for a full-blown piano - it's why I suggested a digital piano with weighted keys. A lot easier to move around and it doesn't require tuning and fine maintenance. It's the next best thing to an actual piano and tends to be a lot more affordable. As long as the keys are weighted, it's fine.

Although the classics vs modern thing is a pretty valid point to make. What kind of music are you actually looking to play?
Zylmoc
<Member>
Zylmoc's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 9:02am | Report
@sirell
@Embracing

The overall budget for everything is $700, I do intend on playing classical above all else but am not reserved to just that, and I have been playing on my teacher's grand piano for 3 months now, I'm proficient in some but am lacking in others. Obviously a grand piano is above on what I can afford so I would like something similar. I'm fairly certain I will be in this for the long run, due to the fact that I listen to more solo piano or variations that have specific use of a piano regularity. Thanks for your time guys!
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 10:11am | Report
Then you should go for some quality e-piano. (Or do you call them digital piano in english?)

Well to make an example: Roland F-130R
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 10:13am | Report
xIchi wrote:
Then you should go for some quality e-piano. (Or do you call them digital piano in english?)

Well to make an example: Roland F-130R

Pretty sure they are electric pianos.

I agree, grand piano is quite a purchase for someone who isn't that experienced with pianos (or doesn't have any musical knowledge) so I'd go with electric piano since they are very versatile and are (imo) easier to play.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Zylmoc
<Member>
Zylmoc's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 11:56am | Report
Remember the intention is to not start as big as one but would like something to replicate it, I Wouldn't even be able to fit a grand piano in my house haha.
Zylmoc
<Member>
Zylmoc's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 4, 2014 11:56am | Report
Thanks for the advice guys!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide