Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Has Windows hit it's peak?

Creator: Searz March 4, 2012 2:47pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 3:57pm | Report
@Searz
Go check at amazon. 1 TB is at 100€ and 2 TB is at 120€. I checked 2 days ago, maybe it changed.
I only startup my pc once per day (and most people probably do as well), so an extra 20 seconds per day isn't really meaningful.
Also, if users don't know about defragmentation then I doubt they will notice any difference. Either it's their work computer and some IT guy will do it, or it's their own PC for playing farmville and who cares about that?

The apps I use the most (other than my browser) are probably photoshop, flash, WoW and LoL. Last I checked neither of them were available for linux. Software depends on the user though, and the vast majority of people either use their computer for browsing/browser games (which work on linux I think), working or gaming. The first group just uses windows since it's the "default" OS, they don't even need to bother for something as using the internet. The second one needs windows for the microsoft office since word and excel formats are the standard formats used in any company or university. The last one needs windows for games. Even if linux is a better OS comparing only the OS themselves, the world will never change from windows and there will always be more and better software for it.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 6:44pm | Report
I'm pretty sure 1TB used to sit ~72$ USD, though. Still pretty expensive IMO.

Antivirus - I still don't understand this argument that people pull. "Macs can't get viruses!" That's complete ****ing ********. As long as you don't use the internet like a complete tard then you shouldn't ever get a virus. Even then you should ALWAYS have an antivirus, even if you believe your Mac/Linux/whatever computer is completely "virus-proof".

If there was more widespread software support for Linux, then I think Linux would be more popular than it is. But since there isn't, I don't think there'll be any migration from it anytime soon.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2012 6:57pm | Report
like.. 85? percent or some other ridiculous huge amount of people use windows.

why would someone who makes a virus want it to affect people in that 15%?

but still you should have an anti virus anyway (there are tons of free ones out there) and not be a complete ******.

taylor-swift.exe? sounds legit.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 5:50am | Report
B-Wong wrote:

I'm pretty sure 1TB used to sit ~72$ USD, though. Still pretty expensive IMO.

They're at roughly 135 USD right now :P

As for malware on Linux; I don't think it ever will be a big problem, because Linux is at the core a safer digital environment than Windows.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 5:50am | Report
@Canoas
I wasn't aware. I last checked a few months ago.
I didn't think the price would drop so quickly.

You'd be surprised at how slow a PC can get when not optimized. It is a real problem for normal users.

Flash runs natively on Linux(at least on ubuntu). I dunno why you thought otherwise.
There are programs just as good as Microsoft Office on both Linux and Mac.
There are also free programs that are able to do most standard things you can do in Photoshop. GIMP is a program like that (I haven't tried it myself, but I think it's good).
WoW runs flawlessly in WINE last time I checked. (I checked a while ago though)
I've never tried LoL, but it might run in WINE.

Anything that doesn't run in WINE I'll just run in a virtual machine in my Linux... But then again.. I'll have to optimize that OS even if I don't have to optimize Linux.. :(
It all just becomes very complicated.. I might just say **** it and go for Windows on my desktop simply because a lot of my games (and Steam >.>) don't have native support for Linux.
I'm just really desparate to be rid of all the annoying and ****ty problems with Windows.
"Blizzard spoke thus; Thou shalt not BM. And the players replied Nay, I shall Play my hand with Lethal already on the board. And so Blizzard sent unto them this Brawl of Yogg, As a lesson for their sins of Pride and Greed, for he is the Prophet of Madness and RNG. On that day, the tavern descended into an era of chaos and darkness, until the weekend passed and everyone forgot all about it. Amen. Book of SMOrc, Verse 20, Chapter 4." - Feam T
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 10:51am | Report
@caucheka
Why would someone make a virus in the first place?

@Searz
by flash I meant adobe flash, the program I use to create flash games/etc.
It's not about being as good as microsoft office, it's about being identical. You don't want to send a document from a linux to windows if there's a chance it won't show exactly like you created it. Be it line spacing, margin width/height, font, header/footer, graphics, images, etc.
"Most standard things" isn't enough for me. Photoshop > Gimp.
WoW and LoL apparently work on wine, but some things don't. Even if all I wanted was to play WoW and LoL on my computer, it's still too much trouble for just 0.4€ worth of space and a few seconds off the loading.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 11:40am | Report
Canoas wrote:

by flash I meant adobe flash, the program I use to create flash games/etc.

Yes? I've never used flash beyond that of using it in my browser, but flash works in your browser for Linux systems. I don't know if it works outside of that, but it prolly works in WINE if not natively.

Quoted:
It's not about being as good as microsoft office, it's about being identical. You don't want to send a document from a linux to windows if there's a chance it won't show exactly like you created it.

Open Office is very similar to Office 2002 (and there seriously hasn't been any real improvement in the later versions) and it can read and save in both it's own format and MS Office formats.

Quoted:
"Most standard things" isn't enough for me. Photoshop > Gimp.

So you're an advanced user then? I don't know if there are any of such programs for professional users in Linux, but 90% of users will find GIMP/alternatives to be enough.

Quoted:
WoW and LoL apparently work on wine, but some things don't. Even if all I wanted was to play WoW and LoL on my computer, it's still too much trouble for just 0.4€ worth of space and a few seconds off the loading.

But it's not just that(you're also wrong on those numbers, but that's beside the point). It's A LOT of small things. And those things pile up over time and I get really annoyed by them. I REALLY want to switch, but in the end I'm afraid that I might get more trouble than I'm actually avoiding.
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 2:22pm | Report
At least the Open office for has compatibility issues with word. At least I know that images/graphics may not be visible on word from experience.

I can probably do 95% of what I use photoshop for on GIMP, but photoshop is simply better. And most people use photoshop, which makes it a lot easier when you want to share the files for someone to check. Not to mention that I would have to learn how to use GIMP from scratch. That's certainly not worth it.

But even if adobe flash and adobe photoshop work on wine, it's still too much of a trouble for such small things that don't bother me at all. Changing OS is soooooo troublesome... It's not worth it imo.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 3:43pm | Report
It seems I'll have to put my hopes to Google, that they'll either make people develop more for Linux or that they'll simply make Windows a lesser used OS.

Hopefully I can one day play almost all my games on Linux.
I hope it's soon.
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 8, 2012 4:24pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

@caucheka
Why would someone make a virus in the first place?

they would make a virus to infect and mess with others computers of course.

and since they try to create as much havoc as possible, they target the os that the vast majority of computer users use.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide