Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

THAT Dress

Creator: Searz February 28, 2015 7:48pm
37 posts - page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4
What colors are the dress?
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 7:48pm | Report

Most people here have probably at least caught a glimpse of this viral event.
This whole debacle has occurred because the interpreted white balance of the image is different for different people. Meaning that the objects in the image have different colors according to different people.

Our brains are automatically figuring out the white balance of the things we're looking at all the time, so that colors stay mostly the same even under different lighting. And they're generally pretty good at it, resulting in mostly the same interpretation by most people most of the time.
This is a rare instance in which a lot of people interpret it differently, resulting in a divide of people seeing the image as having cold or warm white balance, resulting in white/gold and blue/black colors, respectively.
This is quite the interesting example of the importance of white balance when taking photos.

Vote in the poll before reading further

Edit: derped up the grammar in the question, of course it's "is", not "are", I'm referring to a single dress, even if there are multiple colors >.>
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 7:50pm | Report
[deleted] wrote:
No

Yes?
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 8:05pm | Report
I could probably change that picture through any number of edits to contrast/exposure plus color correction to make it appear to be any of the various colors it actually comes in. But seriously, people actually care about this **** (not trying to insult YOU for bringing it up or trying to explain it, so don't get me wrong here)?
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 8:06pm | Report
It's green and orange. **** you guys.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 8:45pm | Report
A lot of influential scientists care about this because it's an interesting phenomenon, and I agree.
Without the science it's just dumb, but with the science it's a worthwhile topic of discussion.

The color of the dress is not what I'm trying to discuss here, in case that wasn't clear enough; I'm trying to discuss the science behind the phenomenon.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 9:21pm | Report
realtalk, you changed the image from the black and blue to the white and gold. I think this entire thing is a massive troll. xD
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2015 10:23pm | Report
Searz wrote:
A lot of influential scientists care about this because it's an interesting phenomena, and I agree.
Without the science it's just dumb, but with the science it's a worthwhile topic of discussion.

The color of the dress is not what I'm trying to discuss here, in case that wasn't clear enough; I'm trying to discuss the science behind the phenomena.
I wouldn't call "a stupid debate that could easily have been avoided by using google" a phenomenon. Science never even needed to be involved. This is 100% no one bothering to look up whether the dress even comes with trim that isn't black (it doesn't) and then determining based on that fact whether the photo was either edited terribly in an attempt to fool people/just taken with terrible lighting or actually showing the true colors.

Also phenomena is the plural form of that word btw. Should be "it's an interesting phenomenon".
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2015 1:24am | Report
I was thinking lightblue and brown, but maybe thats just me. Idk how this dress got so much attention so quickly tho, the internet is truly a special thing.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: My valentine; jamespongebob <3
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2015 3:30am | Report
My biology teacher (a huge redditor/imgurian herself) explained it to us:

The cone and rod cells in our eyes need different amount of light (different frequency as well) to actually get irritated. If you look it in a shadowy place and with not too much light it is white/gold. In a lighted place, it is blue/black (the real colour).

You can test it with a light. Turn off all the lights and look at it. Then point the light into your eyes and look at it slowly turn from white to blue.

EDIT: You can also scroll the page down so you can only see around half of the dress. This sometimes clears the illusion
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2015 4:51am | Report
Oh god wasn't the picture just taken in a relatively dark place so the cheap camera over-exposed the **** out of it?

Personally I see light blue with a tint of violet and ocher. It only turns blue and black when I tilt my monitor a bit :P

EDIT: No none of the above? Rly?
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide