Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

THQ AUCTION OFF

Creator: caucheka January 23, 2013 2:03pm
14 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2013 2:03pm | Report
so if you havnt heard thq went broke and had to auction off everything.

they havnt fully come out and revealed who got what, but heres the current news:

-Sega gets Relic
-Deep Silver (Dead Island) got Volition (Saint's Row) and the rights to the Metro franchise, but not the studio itself.
-Ubisoft got the rights to South Park Stick of Truth, but South Park is suing to get the rights back. they also got thq montreal, where one of the head ***Creed guys had ran off to after leaving ubisoft. hah.
-Crytek got Homeland
-EA got WWE
-Take Two acquired an as of yet unknown project codenamed "Evolve", but not the studio.

No one bid for Vigil, the Darksiders studio.

personally, the only ones i cared about was relic and vigil. sucks for vigil, but theres still a chance someone good will get them.

as for relic, there couldn't of been a better publisher than sega. sega owns creative assembly, the guys who make the total war games. and recently, CA got the rights to make a warhammer fantasy game. considering relic has the rights to warhammer 40000, and considering segas recent rights to warhammer fantasy, games workshop would be ******ed to not let relic keep the license.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2013 2:09pm | Report
looks like EA gets another ****ty game genre.

to bad for vigil though :(

Sega should do good things for Relic, so i'm k with that. Don't know **** about any of the others, although why Ubisoft would want the rights to south park I haven't the slightest idea.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2013 2:19pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

looks like EA gets another ****ty game genre.

to bad for vigil though :(

Sega should do good things for Relic, so i'm k with that. Don't know **** about any of the others, although why Ubisoft would want the rights to south park I haven't the slightest idea.

ubisoft only played a few million for that, i cant find the link but i would link, it showed the highest bid and the runner up.

the biggest seller was relic at 26.6 million. then was volition at about 11. crytek only paid half a mil for homefront, hah.
Ya Boy TEEMO
<Member>
Ya Boy TEEMO's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2013 9:04am | Report
YO MAN IT BONES ABOUT DARKSIDERS THAT GAME WAS SICK LOL
IDK MAYBE SOMEONE CAN STILL BUY **** MAN
Twitter: @YaBoyTEEMO
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2013 8:36pm | Report
it's gamestop that's killing these game developers Why buy a game new when you can get a used copy for a few bucks cheaper.
sig by jhoijhoi
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2013 9:20pm | Report

it's gamestop that's killing these game developers Why buy a game new when you can get a used copy for a few bucks cheaper.

not really gamestop buys the games in bulk at a set price and then sell them new, buy them back and sell them used so all the new games sitting on the self already got paid for by gamestop so the developers already got their money
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2013 9:39pm | Report

gamestop doesnt help, but thq died because they decided that since no one was buying their casual games they would stop wasting money on making them. then the investors pulled out because they thought thq was being ******ed.
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2013 10:50pm | Report
What? How did they get broke? What will happen to future total wars?
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2013 10:53pm | Report
Yukimaru wrote:

What? How did they get broke? What will happen to future total wars?

total war is done by creative assembly and published by sega. they fine.

as for how thq went broke, they put a lot of money into projects that never returned the investment. so they stopped taking those kinds of projects and wanted to focus on their game series that actually made money. sadly the investors thought thq was stupid and stopped giving them money.
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2013 9:23pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

not really gamestop buys the games in bulk at a set price and then sell them new, buy them back and sell them used so all the new games sitting on the self already got paid for by gamestop so the developers already got their money

true but sometimes a game can be sold and resold by gamestop up to 12 times and after the first time the developers never see any more money come in, this is why they are starting to have key codes for online games like battlefield 3, Mortal Kombat Dead or Alive 5 etc, so if you want to play online with a used copy of future games will need to buy a new online key code
I stole this Sig idea from SoapSuds
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide