Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Defense Tree for AP Champions

Creator: tek9420 December 15, 2010 8:28am
tek9420
<Member>
tek9420's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2010 8:28am | Report
I don't know about any of you, but I just had an epiphany about AP Champs and Mastery tree. We all know the basic 9 for offense, but what if, and stay with me on this, we take the 21 and put it in the defense tree? this idea first assumes your one of those people who always takes an Archangels staff, no matter what the champion. If you put 21 in the defense tree, you can use cleanse (for all the advocates), you get the extra 2-4% ability power with ardor and not to mention all the defensive buff (because you know you're fluffy) (for Vlad, extra AP and health buff from both ardor and Vet Scars). What made me realize this is the simple mastery, Strength of Spirit. With you as an AP champion I guarantee you if you you will have upwards of 4k Mana with Archangel's Staff and Rod of Ages, and I had upwards of 75 Health Regen. I then started thinking about the other benefits.
Why you can go without utility tree:
Perseverance - Mana regen and Health regen you get from Arch Staff and Str of Spirit are better
Expanded Mind - Nice boost for mana, maybe instead of offense tree
Greed - meh, its just to fill an extra for me
Meditation - do you need more mana regen?
Utility Mastery - dunno if you use it, but your not jungling, are you?
Quickness - meh, space filler
Blink - sure, nice for flash but rare use
Intelligence - great early game, but I use cooldown reducers (no use for it late game) seems a waste of a whole tree for so little
Presence of master - Nice, dunno if it outweighs the benefits
I realize some of you like the cleanse, ghost combo, so I suggest maybe takin the 9 and putting it into utility with ghost, perseverance, expanded mind, and whatever you want for the last (I'd do greed... space filler)
Any Thoughts?
Visfarix
<Member>
Visfarix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2010 10:05am | Report
Yes I use the Defense Tree on my Anivia build always. I made a thread about this comparing the Defense Tree vs the Utility Tree earlier. Dunno where it is now...

Anyway Defense Tree goes great on a lot of AP champs that specialize in burst/nuke damage imo, and those that stack MP with archangels, etc make great use of the Strength of Spirit mastery. IMO usually the Utility tree is used simply because it's such a great crutch for weaker players.

I just want to keep smiling FOREVER
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2010 7:15pm | Report
Kennen is an AP (or at least AP the way most people play [not me]) carry that uses the defense tree. The utility tree is close to useless for all the mana it provides. However, kennen should never grab Strength of Spirit because he doesn't have mana. Instead, I usually go for the dodge chance and then the move speed on dodge masteries, though the names currently escape me.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Freki
<Member>
Freki's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 16, 2010 12:42am | Report
well you could have realized it before ;)

and also you could realize that doing a 9 & 21 repartition is not mandatory
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 16, 2010 1:37am | Report
I use 21 in defense for Soraka, makes her godly

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide