Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Flat AD vs. Flat AD + Flat ArPen

Creator: Re4XN July 24, 2016 12:41pm
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2016 12:41pm | Report
What is better on AD Assassins? Flat AD Runes (Marks & Quints) or Flat AD (Quints) combined with Flat ArPen (Marks)? Is there a significant improvement to damage early on or is it negligible to not even consider?

Honestly, I feel like I deal more damage early on with the combination of the two rather than pure AD. What's your take on this?
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2016 1:39pm | Report
flat arpen removes their base armor as well and the lower armor you have the more effective each point is so therefore it's pretty gud on ad assassins
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 24, 2016 5:05pm | Report
Isn't the point of ArPen to be better lategame? Since AD is non-multiplicative (unlike AP), penetration is optimal for the late game. And since assassins tend to have big base damages they can make use of penetration early on they are often better off using penetration marks. Penetration quints suck tho, so full penetration rune pages aren't any good.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2016 1:17am | Report
Thanks for the answer.
Schadenfriend
<Member>
Schadenfriend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2016 3:27am | Report
AD is taken for last-hitting and people who build crit, e.g. marksmen. The reasoning behind armor pen on assassins is absolutely correct. Of particular note are people who build %pen like Last Whisper or Black Cleaver: flat pen applies after %, so the effect is effectively multiplied. However, one nit-pick: armor pen is actually more effective early, because base armor scales with level. Your highest damage spike comes at level 9, when the base damage on your main ability is at rank 5 but the enemy team's armor hasn't yet caught up.
Ranked solo queue is masochism. I am not a masochist.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2016 4:46am | Report
Oh, I forgot about crit and lifesteal (these do multiply the damage/utility of AD). Assassins don't usually buy crit though and lifesteal tends to be a secondary stat for them, that's why arpen>ad.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2016 5:10am | Report
Yeah, what matter to me is the early/mid game impact these Runes have, thanks for confirming my suspicions ^^

Good point on the Crit/LS, Ekki, although I know that instinctively, it did not cross my mind when figuring out which Runes to use, so thanks!
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2016 5:36am | Report
Most of the times I've seen it, the discussion of arpen vs ad in assassins is a matter of champion damage vs minion damage. Since minions don't have armor, arpen is a "wasted stat" on them. So by running arpen instead of ad you're reducing your waveclear and lasthit efficiency. This usually boils down to minion damage not being too important so you run 9xarpen marks and 3xad quints.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 25, 2016 6:20am | Report
After your first or second back Arpen + AD definitely out-damages full AD.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide