Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Gragas: Underpowered, or not?

Creator: Trojan995 April 11, 2011 5:45am
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 5:45am | Report
While watching the Go4LoL tournament, I was surprised to see 2 separate gragases - this was especially surprising because of the recent Gragas sustainability nerf. The first was played by Reginald - he managed to kill Malzahar in lane quite a few times, and his team won in 19 minutes with nearly 20 kills and 0 deaths. Regi himself had 10 kills, accounting for more than half the amount of kills for his team. The second was in this game: RS vs. HKEGG. Gragas, though doing poorly in lane, played a pivotal role in the game; much of the reason RS lost was because Gragas' heavy poke damage managed to force RS to give up baron. So, my question is this: is Gragas viable for competitive play? Is he a strong pick? Why or why not?
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Considereth
<Member>
Considereth's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 6:26am | Report
Gragas = High skill cap. He is one of those champion you are scared to death or do not give a **** about depending on how the game is going. I think he is in a good spot right now. o.o

Special thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the banner!

The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation. - Augustine
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 6:29am | Report
if he gets fed his dmg is insane, chooses someone they die :/
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 6:47am | Report
Yep hes very viable. He does good damage, can harass like a beast, hardly faces mana problems, but shines with his CC... consider his ultimate a portable janna ulti, that does damage to enemies instead of heal allies... He has a great range harass tool which can be scary enough to force ur enemies away from a farm. His body slm is great for saving team mates or catching up to enemies... hes just all round good. High skill cap for the best performance, but still solid even when played by someone who is okay at LoL
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 6:55am | Report
extremely high skill cap

in skilled gragas players hands (nicosharp, for example), he is extremely deadly and can completely **** up an entire team
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 2:25pm | Report
So is he like Anivia, or cassiopeia?

Saying he has a high skill cap doesn't entail much about his viability.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Jet
<Member>
Jet's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 4:09pm | Report
neither

he's his own type of champion

he's viable in the same way any other tank is, except gragas is a lot more zone based than engaging full fledged teamfights
Jet has been banned for trolling and blatant racism.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 1:26am | Report
I realy like playing Gragas, he is hard to kill and i find him a great fight innitiator.

It could be gamechanging with his low CD ulti barrel. 1 person is tossed to your team while rest is pushed back and situation changes dramaticly. He is a great farmer too.

If played as a tank he is a SUPERIOR "poker" of enemy team, fiew good placed barrels can dramaticly decrease the HP pool of whole enemy team even under their own tower. High AP ratios favors high AP builds.

Played as a tank he is ridiculous hard to kill due to the regen, dilivering a fair amount of damage over some time.

All in all quite mobile champ too... I love to have some fun from time to time.

My pref would be AP gragas with some nice HP Pool

Sorc Boots
RoA
Rylai
Rabadon
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 1:55am | Report
I have a friend that could play basically any champion and figure out a great play-style and build for them within 2-3 games. He would move on to others and continue to make me and the other people we played with look pitiful in comparison. I finally asked him, after he owned all the champions and had countless rune pages, who he considered his best or favourite. From the most pro person I have ever known at LoL, he prefers Gragas (AP/HP/Off-tank). He has lost at most 10 out of 80+ ranked games with Gragas. Does that tell you well enough how viable Gragas is?
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Atki
<Member>
Atki's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 6:21am | Report
Gragas is pro, nobody messes with Gragas .. Though i'd just put it out there ..

Anyways, AP Gragas is a pain, i've both played him, and played against him, he can harrass the **** out of anyone ..
IMO one of the funnest champions to play due to his hilarious ulti, when you throw it everyone goes "omgawdwtfhappened!!?1" ..

So yeah, i'd say definately viable ..

Thanks to NinjaSprite for the signature !! :D

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide