Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

How creative is too creative for pvp?

Creator: MoonFever March 18, 2014 2:03pm
MoonFever
<Member>
MoonFever's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 18, 2014 2:03pm | Report
I am refamiliarizing myself with the game after a long hiatus. I was only 13th level when I stopped playing. Now I have come back and am honestly trying to improve my play.

But...

I find myself drawn to play the non-typical. Sure, I still love using Amumu, and am learning to jungle, which is his role nowadays. I have used Caitlyn quite a bit, but straight up AD carry is kind of boring to me. I have played quite a bit of AP Tristana and love it. That is not a normal build for her. I like playing Sion from time to time as a hybrid (I know, bad on top of bad).

Thing is, I am intimidated bringing these builds to pvp. Not ranked mind you. I don't look forward to getting flak from teammates for not picking "top champs" or going standard builds.

So, how much divergence is too much, or am I doomed to bot games forever?
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 18, 2014 5:06pm | Report
if you can take the "REPORT THIS NOOB TROLL PICK" every game then just play whatever you want

it is a game
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2014 12:56am | Report
honestly, you shouldn't care about what your team thinks about how you itemize your champion. As you level further, you'll find builds that work for you - for just about any champ.

Feel free to itemize the champion you choose however you want. So long as you give it your all, and you think it will improve either how you think, or how you play league.

For instance, AP riven would be an example of something that isn't viable. You'd need a lich bane to make use of your AP, and frankly, a lot of the AP would be going to waste, and would not be synergizing riven's true potential.

However, something like AD bruiser jungle blitzcrank would be a fine example of something that's creative for PvP, and reasonable. I've been in several games where people have gone AD solotop fizz, and made it work.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
Nera
<Member>
Nera's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2014 2:54am | Report
Haven't been up against an ad fizz yet, how is it?

And yea alot of stuff you learn in this game is from when you play. Experience and general knowledge make you better at this game. Just keep playing and experiment and you'll see how it works out for you.

Exemple for this. Lately ap Evelynn burst got somewhat nerfed since her "e" went from doing magic damage to dealing physical damage. When i saw this i was awww man.... But then i thought outside the box and tried something i hadn't on her before. I decided to build her into a tanky/ad champ instead of the squishy bursty ap champ that im used to and it has somewhat worked out for me so far.

Don't be afraid to try out stuff in normals its how you learn!:D

Nera
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2014 3:01am | Report
Yeah in general just paly whatever you want to play and you'll be fine.
Eventually, when you get to around lvl 30ish you'll be able to tell whether a different sort of build will work on a specific champion based on AD/AP ratios. But I wouldn't worry too much.

Basically MOBAFire.
Bokonon
<Member>
Bokonon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2014 3:06am | Report
It's the outcome that matters. If you can win games with hybrid Sion, then go ahead and ignore the *****torm that will come - haters gonna hate. Just remember there are 4 other players in your team, if you feed it will ruin the game for all of them.
I'm more than ADC main, i'm a DRAVEN MAIN!
Welcome to the League of Draven!
MoonFever
<Member>
MoonFever's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2014 7:24am | Report
Thank you everyone. Now on to perfecting AP Trist.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 19, 2014 6:53pm | Report
Nera wrote:

Haven't been up against an ad fizz yet, how is it?

And yea alot of stuff you learn in this game is from when you play. Experience and general knowledge make you better at this game. Just keep playing and experiment and you'll see how it works out for you.

Exemple for this. Lately ap Evelynn burst got somewhat nerfed since her "e" went from doing magic damage to dealing physical damage. When i saw this i was awww man.... But then i thought outside the box and tried something i hadn't on her before. I decided to build her into a tanky/ad champ instead of the squishy bursty ap champ that im used to and it has somewhat worked out for me so far.

Don't be afraid to try out stuff in normals its how you learn!:D

Nera

tbh i think thats supposed to be the best build for eve right now
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Nera
<Member>
Nera's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 20, 2014 1:58am | Report
Yea Dill i think that's how most people are building her at the moment. Alot of stuff on this Forum are about building her more ad/tanky. there was a question in the Q and A and if i were to browse around a bit more i'm sure i would find something else.
TheKut
<Member>
TheKut's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2014 4:47am | Report
Too creative would be going anything that just can't work. For example AP Riven or Zed. You would just be too insufficient to have any fun.

Though as long as you can make it work yourself you can be almost infinitely creative. You can go AP/AS Orianna, tank Lulu, AD bruiser Leona, AP Miss Fortune or Tristana, you can even make AP Caitlyn work sometimes but I wouldn't recommend it.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide