Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

My first Go at LoL math, Akali rune choice for...

Creator: Tassov September 8, 2010 1:24am
Tassov
<Member>
Tassov's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 8, 2010 1:24am | Report
I have been pondering what to do with my yellow runes for my Akali build. Most folks run flat health or flat dodge it seems. I was doing a bit of thinking as well as some math (helped by the ARP/MP thread by Lvx). Basically I worked through my own math as to 3 options and am curious if I have the right idea in how to compute everything. Obviously a rubric to test becomes very complex, especially with the addition of Arp and MP of the enemies (It should increase the usefulness of armor/magic resist however as you gain more % per point the less you have.)

Now, Akali is very weak early game, so whereas for my offensive AP/MP runes x/lvl tends to be more favorable (specially with early tipping points ) flat defense bonuses favor early on when she needs them most.

So after evaluating when survivability was key, I then tried to figure out exactly how to determine what would be more useful for defense. This presented itself as a daunting task very quickly. For health and dodge the result are very clear. Since early survivability is important you can get either 50 health or 6.75% dodge, first it is important to note the health does help against magic and physical whereas the dodge is merely physical. For armor and magic resist since you do not know what you will lane against a mix of both is best. Now with some fiddling you can take 4 MR runes+ 3 points in the MR mastery as well as 5 Armor runes and 1 point in the armor mastery to give 9 AR/MR. (The yellow runes are not very efficient for MR so you move one point from the armor to MR mastery and take the more efficient armor runes)

So now we have baseline values at level 1 without any items.
Now lets assume the enemy champion does 50 damage per hit, meaning in 10 unmodified hits Akali dies (bout 500 base health)
-50 health means you can take 50 health more damage at level 1, simply meaning you can take an eleventh attack.
-6.75% dodge means that every 10 attacks they have a 50% chance to hit with all 10 attacks(assuming 50 damage per attack akali dies around 10 attacks at level 1) More importantly it means on average 1 out of every 15 melee attacks will on average end up missing. So early game it means if you take 15 hits you have a chance to avoid 50 damage. Late game where hits are going to be larger the dodge% should very quickly win out over the flat health, and even early game it seems like it is almost equal. That is unless you forget all the attacks which are magic.
-Now the MR/AR part. We use the formula which gives us 9/109=8.25% reduction. We will return to the example of 10 50 damage attacks, but now they can be either magical or physical. Each hit should be reduced by the reduction amount which comes out over the 10 hits to amount to 40 damage which is mitigated by the resist.
- However, like most champions Akali has innate MR/AR. So first she has 17 base armor+9= 26 26/126= 20.6% physical reduction over her base amount of 17/117= 14.5% which is a gain of only 6.1% physical damage reduction amounting to only 30.5 damage being mitigated. For MR she has 31 base MR making 40 40/140=28.6 vs base of 31/131=23.7% which is a reduction of only 5.1% or only 25.5 damage over the 10 attacks. This lends me to favor health for the early game survivability, especially at level 1.

What about at say level 18 where the hits will be much greater? At a final health of 2500 now attacks will have to do 200 damage to drop her in 12-13 hits (feels about right to me for going blow for blow without any stuns or tricks vs. a matched champ.) The 50 health is going to be rather useless at this point. Dodge means that likely one of the attacks will not hit saving you 200 damage which is substantially greater effect than simply +50 health.
Lastly MR/AR. This time taking her base armor 76/176=43% vs 85/185=46% (3% increase) which amounts to 75 damage mitigated over 12.5 physical attacks and 52/152=34% 61/161=38% (4% increase) mitigating 100 damage. In a combined attack between the two you would be avoiding about 87 damage in an average fight before death.

So, for those who know a bit more about the game, are my generalization reasonable? Are the assumptions fair? I did not see a thread that really compared the options here, so I figured at the very least those who know far better than I can chime in and correct me/modify what I have come up with to make it correct. Thanks for reading the long post ;)
My Miss Fortune guide along with the champs I play.(Click stamp for build)
Tassov
<Member>
Tassov's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2010 2:07am | Report
Lol anyone? Is my post that wrong? Or is it just that big and scary?
FxH Alucard
<Member>
FxH Alucard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2010 8:11pm | Report
Is it just me, or does your entire post neglect to mention skills? If I'm not mistaken, skills are not dodgeable, changes the entire argument.
Tassov
<Member>
Tassov's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 16, 2010 12:03am | Report
That is correct I believe, I guess I never stated in my first post but I was just going off auto-attacks which is why I was using a bunch of equal damage attacks. Mostly I was checking that there were no flaws in the actual math. I actually ended up going with health/level runes in the end. Health is health is health is pretty much what it came down to.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide