Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Supports and carries

Creator: miniboes July 29, 2012 2:03pm
1 2
miniboes
<Member>
miniboes's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 29, 2012 2:03pm | Report
Hello,

Lately i have been maining the support role, and feel like i really like it. I have the feeling that in high elo games the support and carry are adapted to what they want to do: They either want to be a kill lane, a poke lane, a safe lane or something else i dont know of. Now what i want to know is which champions (support and carry) are good for what kind of lane and why.

I am not sure if this is the right section, correct me if it is not.

Greets, Boes.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 29, 2012 2:26pm | Report
Kill Lane Supports:
Leona
Alistar
Taric

Sustain Lane Supports:
Soraka
Sona

Poke Lane Supports:
Sona
Janna
Nunu

Poke AD Carrys:
Caitlyn
Miss Fortune
Ezreal
Varus
Draven

Farm AD Carrys:
Ashe
Vayne
Kog'Maw

Tristana - kill lane/farm lane
Graves - strong laning/strong all around
Corki - strong all around
Sivir - all around

more or less this is what I think of it but there are tons of combos

perhaps this powerpoint by 2200 Spellsy (support player) will help
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 29, 2012 11:08pm | Report
Lately Nunu & Willump+ Vayne was seen and it was already very effective earlygame. In this lane, Vayne maxed bolts while Nunu & Willump kept the enemy in place with Ice Blast. So this lane transformed more or less into a poke lane. Vayne also got a double kill after 4 minutes.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 29, 2012 11:41pm | Report
What mooninites said is p good infos ^_^
miniboes
<Member>
miniboes's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 29, 2012 11:51pm | Report
Thanks mooninites, very helpful post. What do you guys think about lulu, would she fit best in a poke lane or a kill lane? I do not think she is good for a sustain lane because she does not have a heal except for her ulti, which is obviously only avaible until level 6 and has a long cooldown.

And do you guys think Karma and Nidalee are viable? If yes, in what kind of lane does Karma belong? I have really never seen her ingame.

I suppose Urgot belongs in a kill lane or a poke lane, am i right?
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 30, 2012 1:41am | Report
Lulu is a poke support because of the extreme range on her Glitterlance.

Karma and Nidalee are special cases. With Karma, you want to have someone who gets in, and hits hard like Graves.

Quickdraw+ Soul Shield+ Buckshot is a lot of free, protected damage and then, you can use Spirit Bond if you need to flee.

Nidalee is a poke-y support because of her spears and the fact that her traps provide a ton of bush control. Caitlyn is a decent pair because of the dual traps and long vision on Pounce for Cait to use her ult on.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 30, 2012 1:43am | Report
Hotshot swears by cait/nidalee.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 30, 2012 2:16am | Report
I played Cait Nid today ;o
It's quite good imo.
Gives so much presence at bot lane.
miniboes
<Member>
miniboes's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 30, 2012 7:44am | Report
Ok, and how about urgot?
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 30, 2012 12:58pm | Report
Well Urgot is kind of a tanky beast in lane, I think his best supports are Taric, Leona, and Soraka.

With that said he is also countered by Taric and Soraka. He does pretty well against most AD champs but he probably has the most trouble against Caitlyn and Varus. Sometimes Miss Fortune

as far as Lulu, she might be the worst support in the game right now. She's deffinitely worse than Sona due to her minor buffs, might be worse than karma, probably better than lux, nidalee, or morgana support but that's not really saying much. I would classify her similarly to Sona, she's a support that harasses and zones but I don't think she does it effectively

As far as Karma and Nidalee I would say yes/no. I play both Karma and Nidalee a lot (not support Nid but support karma). Support Karma can work but it's generally better with a strong AD carry (like MF, corki, graves) or a farm lane (like ashe, vayne - you are expecting to lose this lane). With that said Karma is probably the best late game support in terms of healing and damage mitigation. No support in the game currently can heal and/or shield as much as a 40% CDR Karma can, the problem is getting there. So she's viable but pretty reliant on her AD player

As far as Nidalee support, I've made it work fairly often, but I probably have like 800-1000 games played with just Nidalee alone. Atleast 1/3 of all my games played have been with her and that's generally playing her as an AP carry top or Mid. The problem is Nidalee's spear doesn't really hurt that bad if she's far behind which she will be as a support. Her traps give her bush control and she has a good auto-attack to trade. However her heal has fairly low base compared to other supports but a good ratio. Since most supports build more aura/active based now she won't have the AP to make her heal match up to say soraka's. Building AP delays her aura-based items, ontop of deathcap being expensive. Additionally, Soraka's heal grants armor which is useful on any champion in lane and out of lane. Nidalee's heal gives attack speed which is great for the AD carry, but less effective on tanks, AP carry's etc. I say play support nid for fun if you want, but competitively leave her top or mid
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide