Volibear Build Guide by omfgbkt
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello, I'm omfgbkt (NA), and this is F*** YOU! I'M A BEAR, my guide on how to Jungle Volibear
This guide is in progress, and will cover everything Volibear related, from pre to end-game
I'll also include alternate picks for most sections
Health: 440 (+86)
Health regen: 7.0 (+0.65)
Mana: 220 (+30)
Mana regen: 7.0 (+0.65)
Attack damage: 54 (+3.3)
Attack speed: 0.658 (+2.9%)
Armor: 16.5 (+3.5)
Magic resist: 30 (+1.25)
Move speed: 345
- Rune Setups -
- Masteries / Summoner Spells -
- Skill Leveling -
- Item Builds -
- Jungling -
- Ganking -
In Future Updates
- and more -
HP Attack Speed Move Speed Physical Armor Magic Resist
Physical Damage Magic Damage/AP Cool-down Life Steal
Proof of Concept
Six game streak using this build, 3 Ranked 3 Normals
Recent Patch Note: As of Patch 3.5 Rolling Thunder has been changed
- Movement Speed bonus toward champions adjusted to 30/35/40/45/50% from 45% at all ranks.
See the bottom of the skills section for a image showing the new move speeds (in-game tested)
I'm going to be looking at how this changes Volibear throughout his game as this makes his early ms bonus 15-5% lower but gives him a 5% buff by mid game (level 13 with this current build) This could open up some alternate items in this build.
Pros / Cons
Pros / Cons
Pros+ Good ganking
+ Amazing HP regen with passive
+ Lots of CC
+ Move Speed Bonus & Toss with Q
+ Great damage while stacking HP with Frenzy
+ YOU'RE A BEAR!!
Cons- Slow early jungle clears
- Need help on first buff
- Forced to initiate team-fights
- Ultimate depends on being in melee range
- Very mana hungry early game
- CC ruins your ganks
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: + 8.55 Attack Damage - Gives you an easier/quicker first jungle clear as well as some extra damage when ganking
- Greater Seal of Armor: + 12.69 Armor - Less physical damage for easier jungle clears
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: + 24.30 MR at level 18 - You don't need MR early game as jungle monsters only deal physical damage
- Greater Quintessence of Health: + 78 Health - For easier jungle clear as well as extra damage on Frenzy
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: + 15.3 Attack Speed
- greater mark of armor penetration: + 11.52 Armor Penetration
- Greater Seal of Scaling Health: + 174.96 Health at level 18
- I don't really see any good alternates for glyphs on Volibear
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: + 4.5% Movement Speed
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: + 7.75 Damage
Masteries / Summoner Spells
Offense: 0 Defense: 21 Utility: 9
- Summoner's Resolve - Take this for the +10 gold per Smite
- Durability (4/4) - + 6 HP/Level + 108 at level 18. HP is always good and bonus damage on Frenzy
- Hardiness (3/3) - + 5 Armor - A little help with initial jungle clear
- Relentless (2/2) - 15% reduction in slow effectiveness - Helps with ganks and escapes
- Veteran's Scars - + 30 HP - Same as Durability
- Safeguard - Reduces tower damage by 5% - Lets you tower dive and help secure kills
- Tenacious (3/3) - 15% Crowd Control Reduction - Reduces slows, stuns, snares, fears, etc
- Juggernaut (3/3) - + 4% HP - Same as Durability but a % so scales nicely into your end-game build
- Legendary Armor 2/3 - + 3.5% to armor and magic resist from items
- Honor Guard - Reduces all damage received by 3% - You'll be initiating a lot, and focused right after, this helps you stay alive
- Summoner's Insight - Reduces Flash cool-down by 15 seconds
- Wanderer (3/3) - + 2% Move speed when out of combat - Coupled with Boots of Mobility you're going to be flying across the map to set up ganks
- Improved Recall - Reduces cast time of Recall by 1 second
- Mastermind (3/3) - Reduces the cooldown of Summoner Spells by 10%
- Runic Affinity - Increases duration of neutral buffs (Red/Blue, Baron) by 20%
Smite: 490-1000 True Damage/level to mobs/minions
Helps secure/steal buffs, its a great feeling to pop down a ward and steal Baron from the other team
Flash: Teleport towards your cursor
You'll use this to escape or set up ganks, the range isn't very long so be sure that you can clear the wall if you're trying to do so.
Skill Sequence / Explanation
> > >
Max Frenzy first for the attack speed buff and heavy damage, second level you put a point into Majestic Roar for the AOE and damage mitigation from the Fear effect. Though you want to max Rolling Thunder second, for the lower cool-down (4 seconds is a big difference), there's many occasions you'll go for a gank and need to toss someone again as they are inching towards their tower, I find less time on Rolling Thunder is more helpful in this situation than some extra slow from Majestic Roar
Alternate Skill Sequence
Some people like to max Majestic Roar after Frenzy, so I included this skill build as well.
|CHOSEN OF THE STORM - Passive - Range: Self
When Volibear's health drops below 30% of his maximum health, he will heal for 30% of his maximum health over the next 6 seconds. This has a 120 second cool-down.
Not much to explain here, when you get low on health you regen like a madman for 6 seconds. When this gets set off I like to run out of the fight for a few seconds to really capitalize on the healing, and then charge back in with Rolling Thunder
|ROLLING THUNDER - Active - Range: 300
Cooldown: 12 / 11/ 10 / 9 / 8 - Cost: 40
For the next 4 seconds, Volibear will gain 15% movement speed. If he is moving towards a nearby visible enemy champion, the movement speed is increased by 30/35/40/45/50% instead of 15%. Additionally, Volibear's next auto attack during this time will deal 30 / 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 bonus physical damage and will fling the target behind him (300 units)
A great skill, it gives you a MS buff that increases when moving towards enemies, and your next attack deals extra physical damage and tosses your enemy behind you. With your Boots of Mobility you will come screaming out of the bushes towards your target getting ready to throw them right towards your team
(For notes on how 3.5 changed Rolling Thunder see the bottom of this section)
|MAJESTIC ROAR - Active - Range: 425
Cooldown: 11 - Cost: 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80
Volibear lets out a powerful roar that deals 60 / 105 / 150 / 195 / 240 (+60% of ability power) magic damage and slows nearby enemies by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50 % for 3 seconds. Minions, monsters and pets are feared for the duration as well.
Slows and damage all nearby enemies, this is best to use after you've Rolling Thunder'd your enemy behind you, giving your teammate more time to attack. Occasionally you might use it to slow your enemy so that you can catch up to them for the toss, but it can be somewhat useless if there isn't something else to slow them after the toss. Minions lose unit collision while feared, so this can also be used to get through a minion wave while charging the enemy
|THUNDER CLAWS - Active - Range: 300
Cooldown: 100 / 90 / 80 - Cost: 100
For the next 12 seconds, Volibear's auto attacks will blast his target with lightning that will bounce to up to 3 nearby enemies. Each bolt of lightning will deal 75 / 115 / 155 (+30% of ability power) magic damage and will only hit each target once.
A highly underestimated ultimate. This supercharges your claws with the power of lightning that branches up to three times (prioritizing Champions) for a decent chunk of magic damage. When in team fights you want to either pop this right before you hit with Rolling Thunder or after youve been focused, it helps tear through the enemies life and really adds up endgame with how quickly you will be attacking. This can also be used to secure kills when a champion gets away from you by weaving through minions, the lightning will make sure to jump to the champion if its in range.
|Boots of Mobility - These are the best boots to run as Volibear, they give a huge move speed bonus when active, and with your Rolling Thunder you will be flying at your enemies to set up that toss. You want to put Enchantment: Alacrity for that extra bonus when chasing or running.|
|Wriggle's Lantern - Another great item for jungling, Wriggle's Lantern gives you 30 armor, 15 attack damage, 10% life steal, a 25% chance for 500 magic damage to monsters (which will help speed up jungle clear times, baron/dragon kills and simply cleaning up lanes), and you get a free Sight Ward every 3 minutes. This item will pay for itself in longer games.|
|Frozen Mallet - A great AD/Tanking item Frozen Mallet gives you 30 attack damage and 700 HP, as well as slowing your targets movement speed be 40% on each melee attack for 1.5 seconds. The HP gives a nice bonus to Frenzy, and with the slow from item and your Majestic Roar, it will be impossible for enemies to escape you.|
|Warmog's Armor - A great item for tanking even though its recently received nerfs, as the 1000 HP you receive from this item gives you 150 bonus damage on Frenzy. You also regenerate 1% of your health every 5 seconds.|
|Atma's Impaler - I like to build Atma's Impaler on Volibear for a few reasons. First would be the damage boost equal to 1.5% of your max health, around 75 with full build. You also get 45 armor and 15% critical strike chance, coupled with your high attack speed from Wit's End and Frenzy you'll be dealing a lot of crits. Another bonus is that Avarice Blade builds into it so you can pick that item up early for the bonus gold flow.|
|Spirit Visage - My last item is always situational, but I'll grab a Spirit Visage most games. You get 20% cool-down reduction, 200 HP, 50 magic resistance, and all healing/regeneration effects on you are boosted by 20%. This item works great with your passive Chosen of the Storm, the CDR is also great as when you have this and blue buff you have 40% CDR.|
Early Game Jungling
When the game starts buy a Hunter's Machete and Health Potionx5, after that head to your Wolves, hold onto you skill point until you are either attacking wolves, invading, or defending from an invade to select your skill. Normal jungling you put the point into Frenzy, for invading or defending from an invade you should use Rolling Thunder. Your mid and whatever lanes adjacent to your Ancient Golem, depending on if you're Purple or Blue, should help you kill the wolves (use one Health Potion after killing the wolves) and then assist you with the Golem. After the Golem has been killed put your next skill point into Majestic Roar and head to Wraiths, using two Health Potion's on the way. Open the wraiths fight with Majestic Roar, and attack the main Wraith. Use Frenzy after a couple swings at it and then Majestic Roar again when it comes off cool down. Your skills will refresh just before you kill the smaller wraiths, no need to use them again. Pop the rest of your Health Potion's then head to the Lizards, fight and kill them, putting a point into Rolling Thunder.
(Note: Since you have all three of your skills at this time, you can gank if you see a good opportunity)
Head down to the other Golem, opening the fight with Rolling Thunder, you can use it when you're halfway to them to cut a second or two off your jungle time, use Majestic Roar as the large golem is about to attack you, swing 4-5 times then use Frenzy. If you got good help with blue buff you should still have your Chosen of the Storm, and by this time the Wraths have re-spawned, you can kill them, then head back to Wolves.
At this point you have a few options.
- Recall and shop if you have either 400 or 750 gold
- Gank a lane
- Continue jungling
If you recall you should have enough money to buy Madred's Razors and Boots of Speed, either continue jungling or gank at this point.
If you gank, you want to see what lane needs the help the most, or where you're going to get the easiest kill. When approaching for the gank be sure to ping and let whatever lane you're going for know you're on the way. You also want to be sure to try and not gank a lane that's been warded, if it is you might want someone with some CC in that lane, so they can slow/stun/snare your enemy before you come in with Rolling Thunder. For best results on your first gank you might want your lane to engage and try to get the enemy to chase them towards your tower a bit, so that you can go into the lane, start attacking and open up with a Majestic Roar, so that when the enemy starts to run and (most likely) Flash away, you still have Rolling Thunder to catch up to them and toss them back to your team.
Mid Game Jungling
After you've ganked or jungled more and have bought your Boots of Mobility, start working on your Wriggle's Lantern. With the extra move speed from your boots and Wanderer you'll be able to harass your lanes often, with your Rolling Thunder and Majestic Roar combination your opponents need to either keep their bushes constantly warded or have to stay near their towers. With the health you'll have after building your Warmog's Armor, and the regen from your Chosen of the Storm, it wont matter if they hug their towers anyways, because you will be able to dive them, get a kill and run back out before you die.
Change Log / Thanks
- March 04 2013 - V.02 - Added Items section, fixed a few small thing, added dividing graphics.
- March 05 2013 - V.03.1 - Jungling section started, ganking section started
- March 06 2013 - V.03.2 - A-F finished on ganking section
- April 08 2013 - V.03.3 - Changed starting item, added a few more to ganking section
- April 10 2013 - v.03.4 - Added a few alternate runes, and stats at the beginning. Patch 3.5 changed move speed on Rolling Thunder
- Thanks to Riot for making this game, and making it free even though I've spent too much money on skins
- And thanks to everyone who I've killed and help kill while playing Volibear, you guys make me feel like the Voli in the video below ;)