Fizz Build Guide by Zippo33
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Well I would like to start out saying that this guide focuses on the build of Fizz and the aspects behind the choices I've made. I will be adding sections on gameplay very soon so be patient and dont downvote just because I havnt discussed gameplay issues. Im a nice guy so any constructive criticism will get a +rep. :) I hope you all enjoy the guide and I hope you all learn and have fun reading along the way!
My Story with Fizz
When fizz first came out I didnt take much notice to him. I didnt think he would be that great. So when he came free to play I tried him out. I was TERRIBLE. I cant stress that enough.
But! That did motivate me to get better with him! Too bad I didnt..
Well a year or so later, Riot had the song competition. A Fizz song placed 3rd. So, I listened to it. It was amazing, So I did research on him and started playing him again. Well what do you know? Im good with him. But I didnt just decide to make a guide about him with only a couple games of expearience with him.
I played more and more and think Ive finally come up with the perfect set of items and masteries for Fizz that LoL has to offer. ITs been a long journey but it has paid off.
Here the song, I HIGHLY recommend listening to it
Fizz wandered the ocean in search of his people for years, using the skills he’d learned during his adventures as young boy to survive. Finally, Fizz discovered the port of Bilgewater. He was fascinated with the existence of life above the water and could not resist exploring the island. In his endless curiosity, Fizz inadvertently meddled in the affairs of the humans who lived there, and his presence did not go unnoticed. His mischief angered many residents who eventually sought to capture or kill him. Fizz found himself cornered, and he prepared to return to the sea despite the fondness he’d come to hold for Bilgewater. As he stood at the docks, a massive dragon-shark attacked the port. Fizz defeated the beast, using his resourcefulness and knowledge of the creature’s weaknesses to his advantage. Having earned the gratitude and respect of the humans, Fizz decided to stay in Bilgewater. To further serve his new home, he joined the League of Legends.
“Fizz makes even the saltiest sailors of Bilgewater look like drunken landlubbers in a fight. Good thing he’s on our side.” – Miss Fortune, the Bounty Hunter
I hope this introduction has given you an insight to who Fizz is as a character and his play style. Now on to the guide so you can learn how to play him! :D
Pros / Cons
+ High Burst Damage
+ Great Mobility
+ CC with Chum the Waters
+ Great Chaser
+ Can Dodge Enemy Harass
+ Hard to Target
- Item Dependant
- Hard to Master
Mental Force : The 4 extra AP will give you some, not really noticable, extra damage.
Sorcery : The CD will help you activate your abilities as fast as possible.
Alacrity : The extra attack speed is good on Fizz even though hes an AP Champion. If you get your basic attacks out faster they do more damage
Arcane Knowledge : Since we have magic penetration runes this mastery will help us do some extra damage
Blast : Will help you get better as the game goes on with the scalinf AP
Archmage : This isnt a very noticible mastery although it come in handy late game when you have larger amounts of AP
Executioner : You dont go all the way down the offence mastery tree and not get this. Silly.(:
Resistance : Its not that much MR but it helps against AP Carry champions like: Ahri, Morgana,or Akali
Hardiness : This is one mastery that I can actually notice the diference. You take less damage from minions in the laning phase and it helps out a little against AD Carries like: Ezreal, Graves,or Vayne
Durability : The extra health wil help you mid to late game but isnt very noticable at the beginning lane phases.
Veteran's Scars : I cant tell you how many times Ive gotten first blood and have gotten out with 30 or less health. It has been a lifesaver
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Extra damage beginning to mid game
Greater Mark of Ability Power: If you prefer ability power over magic pen you can get these
Greater Mark of Cooldown Reduction: Not my first choice for Marks but they do work
Greater Seal of Armor: For some extra sustain in lane
Greater Seal of Health: If you feel you are too squishy early game you can get these
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist These help out a lot when you go mid and can end up saving your life mid game
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: The CD with these help out a lot through out the game
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: I get these for the extra damage early game. But you could get any quint you see fit
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Summoner Spells
Flash:Flash is always a good choice for any champion. If you find yourself in a sticky situation you can just use flash over a wall and you dont find yourself dead. It can also be used for the offensive. I dont reccomend it but it can be done.
Exhaust:There are a couple of different uses for this spell; you can use it to catch up to a fleeing enemy, you can shut down the enemy AD carry, or you can use it escape out of another champions reach. Its a really viable spell for Fizz and goes well with him and his moves
Ghost: Its up for debate on which is better, Flash or Ghost. Ever since Flash got in my opinion a much needed nerf it hasnt been the same for League players. SO everyone turned to Ghost as its replacement. Ive used it on Fizz and I have to agree that Ghost is another option that shouldnt be left out when choosing your spells for Fizz. It offers a great amount of mobility aand for a longer duration than what Flash can give you.
Ignite: This is a summoner speel that everybody uses. I can see why as well. Ignite can secure the first blood at the beginning of the game and by lvl18 it does around 500 true damage.
Teleport: It can be a good spell at time but you dont know how viable its going to be through out the game. You may only use it once or twice. The rest of the time its just a waste of a spell that could be filled with something better and more useful.
Cleanse: I would only recommened this spell for tanks or supports. You already have a move that makes you un-targetable for 2 seconds. You shouldnt need this any during the game.
But if you seem to find yourself getting killed by getting caught with tons of CC you can pick this up
Heal: If youre new to the game then you will almost need heal. Fizz takes some getting used to and cant be mastered within a day. You dont want to get under-leveled so you can get heal for some sustain in lane longer.
Surge: Fizz is an assassin. You should have enough burst damage to get the kill and get out without getting hurt. Surge helps you in 1v1's where you need a little extra something to get you through it. Otherwise I've never really seen another use for this
Clairvoyance: Fizz isnat a support champion. He's an assassin/AP fighter therefore this spell wont get you anywhere but laughs from your teammates and enemies.
Promote: Ive never seen this spell to be that good in the first place. I only find it good on a support champion who needs to push a lane but go mid for a teamfight. Thats the only situation Ive ever found it useful. And even then that one scenario doesnt come often.
Revive: This spell is only good when you are dead. Thats not something you should be aiming for.
Clarity: Some people say Fizz is mana hungry. I think they're crazy. Fizz has a good amount of mana to start with and in the beginning laning phase all you should be doing is last hit. But if you find your self using a lot of mana you can change your defensize masteries to utility for mana.
Ability Explanation/ Ability Sequence
- Rabadon's Deathcap: This is your main damage dealer, once you get this item your burst damage will be insane. Ive seen AP CAsters stack this item. DONT DO IT. Its passive does not stack, and there are way better item combinations out there than 6 Rabadon's.
- Nashor's Tooth: This item synergizes very well with Fizz, the attack speed boost help his basic attacks do more damage since they scale off of % of health missing. It also gives you a decent amount of ability power with some mana regan on the side, but its not over yet! It ALSO comes with 25% CDR. Which works perfectly with Fizz.
- Lich Bane: This item come with some offence,defence, and utility. It also comes with an insane passive that will make your burst damage outragous. I recommend getting this item 2nd in your build order. Once you get Sheen you can go on the offensive, but once you get Lich Bane, you can kill almost anyone in the game.
Other Damage Items
- Abyssal Scepter: So this item could go in durability but I decided to put it in offence because of its AP and its passive. If they have a tank whos is building tons of magic resist you can get this to help you do a little bit more damage to him.
- Deathfire Grasp: Fizz is an assassin as Ive stated in the past. This item gives him what he needs to be that perfect assassin. It gives him ability power for his overall damage from his abilities. But, it comes with an active that allows him to do a lot of damage in a little amount of time.
- Hextech Gunblade: This is usually a hybird's weapon of choice, but I think it synergizes with Fizz very well. It comes with damage which doesnt hurt his damage output, along with some ability power. But, it comes with an active similar to Deathfire Grasp It does a good amount of damage along with a 25% speed reduction
Okay so now that we've gone through the damage part of Fizz we need to focus on staying alive long enough to get the kill and get out.
- Rod of Ages: Rod of ages gives us most of our health with some ability power. We want this to be our first core item because of its passive. It gets better as time goes on, and even though its not much if you start slacking off this item can help stop that
- Guardian Angel: Everyone knows of this infamous item. The armor and MR is very nice but everyone knows the real reason people get this item. Its passive allows you to cheat death itself. Just when the enemy team thinks theyve killed you, you get right back up
Other Reliable Defesive Items
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter: If you feel as if you need more health than any armor or MR you can get this. It isnt really an assassins weapon of choice but it gets the job of health done along with magic resist
- Zhonya's Hourglass: This isnt my personal choice for a defensive item. But in certain situations this item can save your life just as well as Guardian Angel. If you find yourself getting targeted than this can solve all your problems and a won teamfight.
Change Log/To Do List
- 9-1-12: Guide was started! :D
- 9-4-12: Guide was published! :D
To Do List
- Add Gameplay section by 9-15-12
- Add Jungling section by 9-30-12
- Add more optimal items to bothe Items sections
Well to those few who made it down here I thank you for reading my guide(: Lots of changes will be made as I go along playing Fizz. I definately would appreciate any reccomended ideas for the guide, Im always looking to improve. Thanks to jhoijhoi for the line dividers! :D