Build Guide by Vebbebbabarl
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
So I am not much of a competitive player, but i enjoy playing League of Legends with my friends and whenever I play Gangplank this is how I do it. This build gives you a lot of damage due to the high crit ( Phantom Dancer, Infinity Edge, Youmuu's Ghostblade) and the beautiful 150% damage on each Parrrley from the Trinity Force. The Trinity Force also gives some health, mana, and Ap that gives you some additional health from Remove Scurvy. So just read on and give it your two cents if you must, enjoy!
Just on a side note, the current description of this build is for the first one, I will eventually get out the TankPlank second build, and even the APPlank build, so stay tuned.
I like to use my runes as buffs to my items, well who doesn't, but anyways here they are:
9 Greater Mark of Desolation
5 Greater Seal of Critical Damage
4 Greater Seal of Critical Chance
5 Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction
4 Greater Glyph of Critical Damage
3 Greater Quintessence of Desolation
So these runes are selected to compliment all of Gang's abilities. Starting with the reds we gain a whole bunch of Armour Pen ( Greater Mark of Desolation) which simply makes Parrrley even more powerful as well as your auto attacks. The yellows are split between 5 Greater Seal of Critical Damage and 4 Greater Seal of Critical Chance. These two give a big boost to Gang's power, the crit damage just makes all of the crits from Parrrley stronger and the flat crit boosts early game crit chances. The blues 5 Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction and 4 Greater Glyph of Critical Damage, are set up to hlp get your Remove Scurvy out a little more, making it more reliable, as well as spamming Parrrley a little more. The second set of runes help with your crits again. Finally the Quintes 3 Greater Quintessence of Desolation, give a final little boost to the damage of your bread and butter Parrrley.
These are pretty self explanatory, but to expand I go 21-0-9. I make sure to take armour pen and crit chance/damage on the way up. I the go over to utility to get experience, mana regen, and some extra gold. You could switch this out for some defense instead going 21-9-0.
So here we go, now i know that summoner spells are something that really will change from person to person so here I will only justify my choice, and the choices that you really should not take and why they are bad.
First, the ones I choose:
So I am a little bit of a Flash freak and take it on almost every champ I play. I love just because it is so good for getting out of tough spots, or getting yourself that much closer for the final spell to kill your enemy. I love using it to get out of tough spots like ganks, for example to fly through walls.
I also like to take Ignite because it gives you another heal reduction and a nice boost in damage onto your target, or onto an enemy just joining the fight so screw them over in the upcoming fight. These are just my personal choices and I will give my opinion on the other spells for your consideration:
Other ones that you could take:
1. Ghost This is also good for getting away from sticky situations or running into a gank
2. Exhaust This is useful on Gang if your team has enough ignites and you like stoppping enemies in their tracks for your Parrrley
3. Clarity This could be good if you have mana problems, but I find that I do not need these.
4. Clairvoyance If you are a fan of clairvoyance, go ahead it can help with ganks and your team play.
5. Teleport This is ok if you like to backdoor the enemy or quickly reinforce your team.
DO NOT TAKE
1. Smite Not a jungle
2. Cleanse NOPE. Remove Scurvy
3. Revive Really, it is not worth it anywhere.
4. Heal Again Remove Scurvy
5. Rally Not really nice, can work if you really like it.
6. Fortify Can work if you like it, just I don't suggest it.
So here is a simple summery of the abilities Gangplank has:
Passive: Grog-soaked blade
This is an awesome passive in my opinion and it is pretty much always worth it to get that auto attack out onto the enemy to hit them because then you are dealing 6-23 true damage to you enemy each second for 10 seconds (60-230 damage) AND reducing healing on the for 10 seconds, a long time.
Gangplank shoots his pistol at an enemy, critting them and usually killing them.
Cooldown: 5 Seconds
Cost: 40/45/50/55/60 mana
Physical Damage: 20/45/70/95/120 + 100% of AD
On kill: 4/6/8/10/12 Gold gained
Parrrley also gains all on hit affects and can crit.
So this is Gang's bread and butter, it is also his only damaging ability other then his ult. It is great for opening with, closing with, and destroying the enemy. Use it for last hitting minions as well, seeing as it give extra money to you, as well as it procs with Sheen and Trinity Force without having to hit any other abilities, so just blast it over and over again at your enemies.
W: Remove Scurvy
Cooldown: 22/21/20/19/18 seconds
Cost: 65 mana
Heals for: 80/150/220/290/360 health
Removes all CC on you, a free banshee's veil when ever it is up AND a heal. An amazing ability, best self heal in the game I think. Only use think to get out of CC, but if you must use it to heal out of CC, it's ok, as long as no CC comes along and you think, I wish I had my Remove Scurvy right now :D.
E: Raise Morale
Cooldown: 25 seconds
Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 mana
Passive: Gangplank's attack damage is increased by 8/10/12/14/16 and his movement speed is increased by 3/4/5/6/7%
Active: Increases Gangplank's attack damage by 20/28/36/44/52 and movement speed by 14/18/22/26/30% as well increases allies attack damage by 10/14/18/22/26 and movement speed by 7/9/11/13/15%, this lasts 6 seconds.
I think that this is a nice boost to your stats now, not really for early game anymore because they took away Gang's deny :(, but anyways, it has a massive range on the ally buff and late game will make you move nice and fast across the map for good ganks. For these reasons I only get this at level 9 because that is usually when the team fights and real ganks start.
R: Cannon Barrage
Cooldown: 120/115/110 seconds
Cost: 100 mana
Lasts for: 7 seconds
Range: THE ENTIRE MAP
Active: Covers an area of the map with a barrage of cannon fire, slowing any enemies in the area for 25% of their movement speed. If they are hit by one of the random cannonballs (you will most likely hit something) they take 65/110/155 (+0.2 of AP) damage.
This is an awesome ult. It has sooo many uses in the team, you can stop fleeing enemies, use it in initiate and hold the enemy team into your damage, or even simply to provide a safe getaway for you and your team. I mostly use it for trapping the enemies to a gank that my team is starting, but if need be I will use it to finish off enemies or for getting away. One of the best ways to use it is to capture enemies and give them the choice to take your ult, or to fight your team, kind of like a tasty enemy team sandwich :D.
So now for the long part, but possible the most important part. So the basis of this build is to get the Sheen early because while Parrrley does stack with crits, it also stacks with the Sheen proc, and best of all it actives on the Parrrley active and hits on the Parrrley hit. This also means that instead of praying for the crit you get one every time.
So order wise I go like this:
1. Sapphire Crystal and 2 Health Potion or 1 Health Potion and 1 Mana Potion
2. Rush out Sheen once you get back, hopefully after a kill
3. Get Boots of Speed right after your Sheen. Now comes the first personal preference, you can choose to get Ionian Boots of Lucidity for the Cool down reduction to get out faster Parrrley and Remove Scurvy. This is what i like to do, but you can also get Berserker's Greaves for a little more attack speed, but these are mediocre. The other option, that's ok, is a pair of Ninja Tabi because they give you some armour and dodge, so basically more survivability. the other big one would be if the enemy team has a lot of CC and you get Mercury's Treads, but you make the choice.
4. Next I like the Avarice Blade for the crit and gold
5. After that I get 2 Zeal's because then you move fast, crit more, and attack faster.
6. Get out that Trinity Force because now you have 150% crits on each Parrrley
7. The Infinity Edge is next seeing as it does a lot of damage and makes your crits now do 400% damage (100% base + 150% Trinity Force + 150% Infinity Edge)
8. Next comes the standard Phantom Dancer, crit move speed, AS, Perfect
9. Now build that Avarice Blade up into the Youmuu's Ghostblade to get some Armour pen, CDR, and that lovely active.
10. Finally comes the last item, I put a The Bloodthirster up, but really there are many other choices, explained below:
So this part of the guide will help you pick items that you can get as your last item. This can really be anything depending on the circumstances. Just before I get into that though I will mention items that I think sould never enter Gang's inventory, this will talk about AD items that he should not get, not AP ones or tank ones:
1. Tiamat This item is medicore to start with, sure you can look at it and see 50 AD, health and mana regen, and an AOE Parrrley, but really the AOE is weak and the bonus damage is outshined by many other better choices. Im my opinian an item that needs a change.
2. Atma's Impaler Sure it gives crits and AD, but again there is a lot better items out there and really GP does not have a lot of health.
3. Malady This is just not good, sure it gives attack speed and AP to up your Remove Scurvy, but really it is not enough and a waste of a spot.
4. Sword of the Divine Some might say that this is good because Parrrley stacks off it, but really it is not worth it.
5. Nashor's Tooth sure you get attack speed and mana regen and even some nice CDR, you just don't get anything to really help Parrrley making Nashor's Tooth not worth it.
6. Hextech Gunblade Now this one is interesting because yes it will make your Parrrley stronger as well as give you a nice boost to Remove Scurvy, and even healing Parrrley's, but a The Bloodthirster will be better for lifesteal. This one is on the fence a little bit, bt I think it is not worth it.
7. Wit's End This item is close to being ok in some situations, but what puts it here again is that it does nothing for Parrrley, your bread and butter. Possibly changing position
8. Spirit Visage Now this one is interesting because it can and will make your Remove Scurvy stronger, but it really is not enough to give a worthwhile boost, but it is the item that you can get last if you are like 20 kills ahead just to mess around.
9. Cloak and Dagger The only reason I am putting this here is because it really is mildly useless seeing as you can completely negate CC if you time your Remove Scurvy correctly and a Banshee's Veil is better because it gives much better survivability.
Ok now I will move on to my top ten last items that you can get on Gangplank, other then the previously mentioned The Bloodthirster as it is the ideal item for this build.
1. Sword of the Occult This is the optinal item to get for this last slot seeing as it gives 110 Ad once full and 15% move speed, but the downside is that you would only get this if you know you are going to get a lot of kills, which you very well will.
2. Last Whisper This will allow your Parrrley to wreck anything, even with armour, enough said.
3. Manamune Just like the Sword of the Occult you would build the Tear of the Goddess earlier in the build, for example I get it before the Avarice Blade if I'm going to build a Manamune. This item is good if you are fighting a team with a fair amount of armour, but not a lot, so you be the judge.
4. Madred's Bloodrazor This are actually better then you would think, they give some nice AD, a little AS for you auto attacks, armour, and Parrrley's that do 4$ of you enemies max health as magic damage, that carries over to your auto attacks. All in all the best situation for these is against an enemy team with high health, like a Cho'Gath or Dr. Mundo.
5. Zeke's Harbinger I know it seems wierd and weaker then The Bloodthirster, but really it is just for a different situation. This item would be better against an enemy team with more armour, or less health because I find that attack speed is better against low health then AD, seeing as if ou can hit them more then they will die faster, but it's your call. This will also make your team like you a little more as a carry because you give them the nice buff.
6. The Black Cleaver This item is great for Gangplank, just not the best. It gives a nice boost to AD and Parrrley's that reduce the enemy armour by 15, making it a good choice.
7. Guardian Angel This is a nice item to boost you defence against a balanced team, and it gives you an extra life every 5 minutes, good chioce.
8. Banshee's Veil This is great item to get against any team. You want to try your best to block stuns and high damaging abiliteies with this, so basically with Remove Scurvy you can block 2 CC's in a quick succession.
9. Thornmail If you are facing a team with a lot of physical damage that is annoying you, just get this to shut them up.
10. Force of Nature Just like the Thornmail, but get this if you are facing a team with a lo of magic damage, and you move even faster.
That pretty much covers the best choices, but you could still get other things like a Frozen Mallet, but that is kind of redundent becuase the on-hit affect is on the Trinity Force.
Pros / Cons
-High damage (Critting abiltites that give on hits)
-High ganking potential
-Free cleanse + heal
-True damage + heal debuff
-Fun to play
-He's a priate
-Can be mana hungry
-Fairly easy to gank
-'E' passive fairly weak
-Ult does not synergize with items
-Can make you overconfident ;)
Ok, so as Gangplank you want to take the position of the carry/damage dealer on your team, don't be afraid of taking a kill, but allow others to get ones they work for. Use your Parrrley to deal massive damage to enemies, poison and remove healing from enemies with your passive so your team can kill them.
One of the biggest team aspects is handing out Raise Morale's buff to as many team mates as you can in team fights. This will be the difference between a win and a lose, because of the attack damage and movement speed buff you hand out.
Another important move is to use your ult to capture enemies in a team fight, kind of likea sandwitch for your team. This will stop runners, add damage, provide a safe place for your team to go to and fight in. This can really mean the difference between winning and losing, and will give the enemy team a massive headache, seeing as the ult really is just a pain in the ***.
May 13th 2011: -Added Cloak and Dagger
-Finished Summoner spells
May 11th 2011: -Updated abilities for patch
-Added some item things ( wits end and cloak and dagger)
May 7th 2011: -Added Change log
-Added Team Play
-Added Summoner Spells