Nautilus Build Guide by MrBGJM
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Stuck with players that don't quite know what to do?
Than Nautalis jungling is for you.
Take control of the tide in your games with this CC Machine! Even his passive is CC!
You cannot go wrong if you play Nautilus well.
Never lose again and I am going to help show you how!
Pros and Cons
+VERY High amount of Crowd Control+
+Extremely Good Ganking Potential+
+Good Built in Escape Mech+
+Large AOE Damage+
+Looks Like a Big Daddy (Especially with the subterranean skin)+
+Has an Awesome in Game Joke+
- Cons -
-Low Movement Speed-
-Low Attack Speed-
-Dredge Line Skill Speed a bit hard to get used to-
-No Direct Support Skill for Allies-
|Greater Mark of Insight x9||Because nearly all of your damage will be magic based, this is a good idea.|
|Greater Seal of Resilience x9||A small armour boost so you can jungle more efficiently.|
|Greater Glyph of Shielding x9||to ward off the magic dealers in the enemy team.|
|Greater Quintessence of Swiftness x3||because Naut is such a fatty, he needs the speed.|
- Other Useful Runes -
Greater Seal of Endurancex9
Greater Quintessence of Endurancex3
|Combining these together is extremely potent with Juggernaut ; a 12% boost to hp is extremely large with Frozen Mallet and Warmog's Armor. This will greatly boost Titan's Wrath.|
|Greater Quintessence of Potency x3||For extra damage on your abilities.|
- Summoner's Resolve For dat Smite mang!
- Hardiness Extra armour to be a little tougher.
- Tough Skin Reduce that damage from dem minions! BUT MRBGJM WHAT ABOUT Bladed Armor ?!?!...Well really you don't need it and the point is used elsewhere for better stats...and I hate killing the blue golem while trying to give it to mid lane with it.
- Durability & Veteran's Scars extra health is really nice :D
- Vigor Some extra health to help with the jungling.
- Initiator Again, because Naut is a fat***, this really helps you get into range for ganks and team fights.
- Enlightenment Cooldown reduction is really good because your Titan's Wrath has a lengthy cooldown and having your ultimate Depth Charge up more often can really turn the game into your teams favor.
- Juggernaut An extra 10% tenacity and 3% HP, who wouldn't want this as a tank jungler?
- Summoner's Insight For Flash.
- Expanded Mind Naut has a rather small mana pool and this helps a fair bit...and you need 3 more points to unlock the next tier in the masteries.
- Swiftness Because Naut's anchor is so heavy, he needs a nice speed boost to get around the jungle faster and get into ganks quicker.
- Runic Affinity keep that blue and red buff on you longer!
Skills and Skill Sequence
|Staggering Blow (PASSIVE)||Nautilus' basic attacks deal an additional 2 + (6 × level) physical damage and immobilize his target for 0.5/0.75/1 seconds.
This effect cannot trigger on the same target more than once every 12 seconds.
- Skill Sequence -
Titan's Wrath is taken first just because it is the most effective at wiping out the wolf camp and taking blue buff. You want to get this to level 3 ASAP to help dish out extra damage on your ganks and have some extra durability for tower dives and fights, but you want to leave it at level 3 and max it second.
Riptide is take at level 2 and left there until you hit level 7 because it deals a small amount of damage but it is mainly used to slow down enemies during ganks, and for the most part top/mid lane ganks are easiest because the enemy in that lane will not have boots so combined with your quints and masteries you will easily keep up with them. But later you will need the extra slow and damage to take down the enemies in the lanes.
Dredge Line CAN be taken at level 3 instead of Titan's Wrath to get ganking quicker or if it is needed immediately, but normally I find you can get it at level 4 and start ganking well, especially because you can go back and get your philo stone or boots then go out ganking.
Depth Charge taken whenever possible as it is EXTREMELY...you don't understand...FREAKING EXTREMELY POWERFUL. Do NOT underestimate its power level because it is easily over 9000. Try to aim for a target that is at the back of the enemy pack so it hits a lot of targets. And using it to start fights will make it easy for you to pull one of them in and hold them in place so your team can pummel them.
Staggering Blow Naut's passive is a CC. And a very useful one. Snaring someone when you hit them for a while and dealing extra damage every 12 seconds. Do note that this 12 seconds is specific to each enemy champion!!! You can hit 1 enemy and snare them, then hit another with your next attack and snare them as well!!!
- Skill Notes -
- Dredge Line can be used on terrain, towers, and inhibs, to draw in closer, OR pull you further away from an enemy or enemies. It travels at a slightly odd speed and takes a little getting used to.
- Titan's Wrath resets your attack timer, so use it directly after hitting someone with your Staggering Blow to get two quick swipes onto your enemy.
- Depth Charge will follow an enemy no matter where they go, even if they port, or flash, or are pulled out of the way, it will hit them.
- Riptide can hit more than once. An advancing or fleeing enemy can and most likely WILL get hit twice, dealing more damage.
- and Finally, keep in mind that Dredge Line pulls you closer to the enemy team in team fights, so make sure you are not putting yourself in a really bad position causing you to waste your flash straight away or killing yourself.
- Primary Spells -
You are jungling so smite is a given, and flash is extremely useful at lining up your Dredge Line, getting closer to hit someone with your Depth Charge or Riptide or even Staggering Blow.
- Secondary Spells -
Do NOT override Smite with these.
- Exhaust is in-case you REALLY need more CC...which you usually don't so it is a rare case to ever need it.
- Ignite is also a rare case where you need extra damage, when Naut isn't exactly there to DEAL damage, but that's not to say that you can't if you really wanted to.
- NEVER USE THESE SPELLS -
- Clairvoyance You are NOT playing support, so don't think about it.
- Clarity You may run out of mana here and there but you do NOT need clarity EVER, go take blue buff...
- Cleanse You have 10% CC reduction from Juggernaut and 35% from mercury treads, why would you even need this?
- Ghost you are naturally fat, but with the runes and masteries outlined above, you do NOT need ghost in any shape or form.
- Heal Just no...
- Promote Does anyone use this seriously? :\
- Revive You aren't planning to die are you? Besides that you are so beefy it's hard to think of when you will need such a spell.
- Surge I forgot this spell existed until I looked at the list...
- Teleport You move fast enough to be able to get where you are needed in time, while this may be attractive, it really isn't handy for ganking.
- Start at Giant Wolf camp, it will spawn at 1:40 and you have 15 seconds to beat them down, your team should be helping you with it.
- Ancient Golem is your next target, again your team should be helping you a bit and leashing it for you.
- Now move onto Wraith and slaughter them.
- Golem is your next victim.
- By this time Giant wolf camp will respawn, you can either take them out and head back to base OR go for Lizard Elder: Red Buff and go ganking! If you opt to go back to base, get boots and then get lizard buff and gank!
- Jungling Notes -
- Remember that Blue Buff and Red Buff respawns after 5 minutes after being killed.
- Be careful not to get counter jungled, and if you are prevent further losses by warding the ramp near your wraiths.
- If you see a lane struggling, or if the enemy is really over extended, go punish them by showing them who their daddy is.
- Help ward the lanes for your allies, they will love you for it.
- If you see the enemy jungler on the other side of the map, go into their jungle and steal a buff if possible.
Items and Item Variability
- Starting Items -
You don't need Cloth Armor and 5x Health Potion with this Naut setup, and this helps you get your Philosopher's Stone quicker, which is pretty important because it keeps your mana and HP up while roaming around looking for ganks.
- Core Items -
It's pretty straight forward reasoning for the Philosopher's Stone and Mercury's Treads, but the Phage seems to throw people off a little. You as Naut have a prime skill set to get in close to your enemies and keep them still, a phage complements this greatly. A little more damage, a little more health, but an extra slow that stacks onto your other skills is priceless and a great addition once upgraded to a Frozen Mallet.
- Mid Game Items -
Simple and straight forward upgrades of your core items. These are usually obtained by the 20-25 minute mark and are quite potent items to have.
- Late Game Items -
Which one of your late game items you get first depends on your situation within each game and what you and your team needs most. If you are stomping the enemy Rylai's Crystal Scepter is an awesome choice, as the extra damage and extra slow effect really beef up your damage output and utility.
If you are getting hammered by the enemies magic damage Banshee's Veil is an obvious winner, the spell shield, extra MR and HP will help you stay in battle and beef up your Titan's Wrath by a small amount.
If you need a little bit of everything and a second life at things Guardian Angel is a the choice.
- Variability Items -
Huge armor boost, large amount of bonus mana, and CDR. Nothing goes to waste with this on Naut and is really good if the AD carry has a little too much to eat.
You can get right up into the enemies ugly mug very easily and slow them down in an AOE...so why not have a 2nd AoE slow? This would mean getting a Heart of Gold earlier on. This gives extra HP and another Gold per 10, and you could even swap this item with your Shurelya's Reverie if you wanted to late game for extra duribilty, or get both and be an absolute beast with mass slows and speed buffs!
Running all the %HP runes? Well why not capitalise on massive amounts of HP with a Warmogs? Become the fattest wall possible and tank the enemies turrets while smashing them into the ground!
Running a warmog's build? Well you may want one of these, especially with %HP runes and a Frozen Mallet Warmog's Armor build. High damage but you will have low attack speed, but when you hit, it hurts.
If you need a small cost durability item and feel like supporting your team with a nice aura, than this is what you want. Cheap, effective, and useful, but trading this out for something bigger like Guardian Angel late game can be a good idea, don't get too attached.
If you need a little bit more armor, getting a sunfire really does help. The extra HP and its AoE burn is a nice addition too.
If you find you are getting hit really hard by enemies magic damage and like to move faster and regen like a Mundo, than grab yourself a FoN.
Want a little more damage, but also want more durability? Get an RoA and proceed to make your enemies cry.
Using the Blasting Wand from the Mid Game Item's you can EASILY build into this deadly item for both defensive and offensive purposes.
- Fun Items -
Naut attacks really slow, but this fixes that. It also gives you a small amount of MR and some extra damage! Not exactly fitting the role of the CC king but quite a fun item as you watch Naut swing his giant anchor really fast! Combine this with Frozen Mallet, Warmog's Armor, Hextech Gunblade, Maw of Malmortius and Atma's Impaler and become a bruiser CC tank for your team!
You are in fights long enough for this to really do damage. Shred your opponents down with mass CC and high damage output!
Mana regen, attack speed, CDR, AP...almost a perfect item for Naut, but not quite. Still is a ton of fun on him though smashing through enemies.
Become super bursty with a lich bane and some other AP items. Pull your enemy in and make them feel the weight of the ocean!
Nautilus is without a doubt an extremely scary jungler...for the enemy team that is, for you and your team it is the most wonderful thing to have a Big Daddy on your team come out and completely halt enemy champions.
He is the CC king with 4/5 skills all doing some form of CC and with moderate damage output too.
Learn to play Naut well and never lose another game ever again.
A lot of effort went into making this guide, so if you read it, please vote! It's much appreciated! :D
- Notes and Credits -
I would firstly like to thank jhoijhoi and Matt for their useful and intuitive guides on how to make guide and without would not have been able to make a nicely presented guide.
I have made it so you need to comment to vote [currently disabled] primarily because I want to know people's thoughts on this guide, where I can improve, what they like or don't like etc.
But other than that I would like to thank all that have read all of this, I hope you liked what you read and have maybe learned something new about Naut OR JUST MAYBE you read this and are all pumped up and ready to go try this out! :D
I do plan on adding things like, dangerous enemy junglers, and a "proof" section with screen shots of the results of using this guide to play nautilus.
This is currently the only image I have from my match history until the servers come back up as they are currently down trying to get the damn 1.61 patch to work again!
Random GP ranked game too :P
A Naut jungle game I played just before the 1.61 patch
About the Author
I am currently a publisher for lolreport.com and do my own youtube videos. I would consider myself a game enthusiast and I love playing some LoL and wrecking the enemies and coming out LEAGUES ahead of them ;)
Currently doing my final year of my bachelor in 3D Animation and Digital Media in Sydney Australia, and plan to do further studies and get my Masters of 3D Animation and one day have my own 3D animation studio in the heart of Sydney and make films and video games.
A few of my friends and I are planning to create our own mobile game app as well.
You can find me on Twitter @MrBGJM
On youtube under the channel name MrBGJM
On LoLReport.com as the publisher of the feature article "The Flux" - MrBGJM
And you can watch me stream some LoL games over on own3d.tv - http://www.own3d.tv/live/322472
You can also find this guide over at Solomid.net HERE: http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=28423