Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Shyvana - The Half-Dragon: A Collaborative Guide

Creator: jhoijhoi March 11, 2014 1:56pm
1 2 3 4 5
Which champion would you like to see next?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 1:56pm | Report
_________ MobaFire's Shyvana Collaborative Guide _________

Welcome to the second article in a series of upcoming collaborative guides! These articles will be made by the current Editors, Scouts, Veterans and Moderators of MobaFire, will feature champion tips and tricks and will be released weekly. At the end of each article will be a list of champion guides to get you started learning the chosen champion. The guides displayed should supply you with a variety of different gameplay perspectives. This week's champion is Shyvana, the Half-Dragon! Read and enjoy!

_________ Shyvana's History _________

Shyvana joined the League just before Season 2 started as a very powerful jungler, noted for her speed of clearing the jungle; in Dreamhack 2012 the Russian team, M5, slaughtered the opposition with her as a pick for every game. In Season 3, Shyvana fell off the map in popularity as her passive was nerfed and due to the general change of meta influenced by the jungle changes. She was slightly reworked at the end of Season 3 and into Season 4 she became a serious threat top lane, capable of dealing large amounts of damage to tanky opponents. Today she is traditionally picked top lane, or as a jungler. If your team is in need of a Jungler, Shyvana is a fantastic choice due to her quick clear times, her natural tankiness and the utility she brings to the team in terms of her gap-closing knock-back ultimate. Pick her especially if you are keen on invading and counter-jungling the enemy team.

_________ Shyvana's Lore _________

There are those few dragons in Runeterra who have mastered the intense magical energies that course through their unique anatomies, evolving into an elusive Celestial Dragon. These powerful and enigmatic creatures spend most of their time hidden away from the lands of men. However, there are those who find themselves drawn to civilization and who take on human forms to immerse themselves in the world of humans. Occasionally, one finds itself drawn to the spirit of a human and they have relations. Sometimes, in the slimmest of odds, the union will bear fruit and that offspring will be one of the few half-dragons to have graced Runeterra. Shyvana is one such creature, born to a simple Demacian farm-girl and her Celestial Dragon father. Left to be raised by her mother, her oddities were something that couldn't be hidden from her community, though she was protected by her family. Once her family had perished in disaster, she was left alone for the first time - truly alone. Shyvana quickly became an outsider and it wasn't long before the community's fear began to put her in danger. Facing mortal danger at the business end of an angry mob, she was rescued by the traveling noble, Jarvan Lightshield. The noble was a man who strangely knew exactly what she was and took her under his wing. It wasn't long before she was offered a chance to use her natural skills in the service of Demacia, as Jarvan initiated her as one of the elite guard. Following Jarvan into the League of Legends was only natural.

Shyvana is a fierce warrior, with the blood of one of the most powerful magical predators in all creation flowing through her veins. Unlike some of her fellows, she is a subdued personality - somber, cool, and collected. However, when the moment strikes, her draconian heritage manifests and there are few that can stare her in the eyes and not feel the primal urge to flee.

"By the blood of my father, I will end you!"

- Shyvana

_________ Shyvana's Abilities _________

P
  • As this passive gives you a reasonable amount of flat armour and magic resist, it is a good idea to switch to health stacking via items a little sooner than you would on other tanky champions.

Q
  • Twin Bite is an auto attack reset and therefore you deal the most amount of damage by activating it immediately after your basic attack has landed.
  • The cooldown of this ability is reduced with every auto-attack.

W
  • Activating Burnout gives Shyvana a short movement speed boost.
  • This ability has a large AoE and deals damage over time. It is an effective tool for clearing jungle camps or lane minions.
  • When dueling at top lane, Burnout can be used to easily kite targets while still damaging them right at the edge of the hitbox.
  • Burnout is also very easily used to harass without causing minion aggro.
  • The use of Burnout to damage your opponent can cause the minion wave to be pushed towards the enemy tower, which can have negative repercussions, especially if you're ahead and trying to zone your enemy from getting any farm. Be wary of this.
  • Excessive use of Burnout may leave you unable to escape ganks with Burnout on cooldown.
  • Each auto-attack increases Burnout's duration.
  • In Dragon Form, Burnout leaves a trail of fire; this can deter enemies from chasing.
  • As Shyvana has no reliable CC, maxing Burnout and getting level 2 boots quickly is recommended.
  • Maxing Burnout first allows Shyvana to easily harass enemies and farm, but will push the lane. Ward vigilantly and watch the minimap.

E
  • Follow up any Flame Breath you land on an enemy champion with an auto-attack and a quick reset from Twin Bite.
  • Flame Breath should be thrown out regularly and backed up with Twin Bite. Against high health opponents this will be the most effective way to harass, dealing 2% of their maximum health in bonus magic damage.
  • When in Dragon Form, make sure to cast your empowered Flame Breath before you use Twin Bite, or you'll be wasting a lot of free precentage magic damage.

R
  • Shyvana's ultimate does not have a traditional cooldown period typical to other champions, as it is purely based on Fury count which increases per auto attack and over time naturally. This makes farming and split-pushing as Shyvana even more rewarding.
  • Dragon's Descent transforms Shyvana into a dragon - at the same time she lunges a short distance. This ability can be used to gap-close.
  • Enemies in the path of this lunge are pushed towards her final destination.
  • Use Dragon's Descent to engage into the enemy priority champions, or to peel some bruisers away from your allies.
  • When going all in for the kill with your ultimate, try to land slightly behind your opponent. This ensures that your enemy gets full damage from the trail left by Burnout as you kite your opponent from his safety zone.
  • If you were not to auto attack with Shyvana and purely wait for your Fury to generate, you will have to wait 150/75/50 seconds to refresh Shyvana's ultimate.

_________ Shyvana Gameplay _________

Game
Play
  • When jungling as Shyvana, try to farm your jungle camps quickly and focus on counterganking enemies since you have no reliable CC until level 6.
  • If there are no opportunities for you to gank as jungle Shyvana, invade the enemy jungle and take the biggest creatures, leaving one behind. Killing the bigger creatures will grant you more gold and experience; leaving one creature alive in the camp keeps the camp from respawning, denying the enemy jungler gold and experience.
  • Shyvana's standard harass combo is Flame Breath, then using Burnout if necessary to get in range and auto + Twin Bite.
  • When laning against champions that have a hard time clearing minion waves and/or farming under tower, pushing the minion wave before roaming to help out mid or pressure the enemy jungler can be beneficial for your team.

Team
Fights
  • In teamfights, Shyvana's job is to zone the backline, usually by ulting in and trying to kill the enemy ADC. If the enemy team has champions that can kite well or if the enemy ADC is extremely fed and it's too risky to jump in on your own by using her ultimate, it is best to stick to your own backline and help your ADC kill the enemy's frontline faster before moving on to the enemy's backline as a team.
  • Shyvana's ultimate can be used as an initiate if combined with an ability like Orianna's Command: Shockwave, but it's usually better to use the ability to follow up on someone else initiating the fight.

Item
Info

_________ Special Guest Guide _________

Read
Me!
  • Pants are Dragon Guide to Shyvana
    This Challenger-Tier author details in his guide how to play a tanky jungle Shyvana. The highlight of this guide is the step-by-step detail explaining the phases of Shyvana's gameplay, early to late. A definite must read for those who want to learn Jungle Shyvana.

_________ Top Rated Guide _________

Read
Me!
  • Wings of Fury - Top Lane Shyvana
    This Diamond-Tier author details in his guide how to play aggressive top lane Shyvana. The guide is incredibly detailed and well-BBCoded for your reading pleasure. For the serious learners, the Matchups section should help you out!
greater mark of hybrid penetration

_____ Credits _____

_____ Previous Articles _____

guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by natuhlee ♡
BarbJ
<Exceptional Editor>
BarbJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 3:04pm | Report
Plz no Fiora guide next T.T
"You remind me of Good Will Hunting. Or Ramanujan. Take your pick."
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 3:09pm | Report
I think Lulu would be great as there's so much to talk about, and it's a champ I actually play :D

But nice job on this guide, I'm looking into buying Shyvana as she's 4800 IP now, and she's pretty good in the current meta. Those tips should surely help me along!

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 4:03pm | Report
BarbJ wrote:

Plz no Fiora guide next T.T

Actually, if there's anything I think we needed, a Fiora guide would be it. There are literally no good guides on her atm that I'm convinced of using, whereas good ones exist for the others. Also, I'm interested in what others would build on her. She's not my favourite champion any more as she was in the past, but I still like her.
BarbJ
<Exceptional Editor>
BarbJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 5:14pm | Report
There are no good guides for her because no one should play her.

Hue
"Secretly I think Joe is an evil genius."
jamespongebob
<Wingman>
jamespongebob's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 6:21pm | Report
I agree that Fiora should be next. Fiora is one of my favorite champions design-wise (espcially her voice), and it kind of sucks that the top Fiora guide hasn't even been updated for this year and is filled with broken images.
My Guides

tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 8:45pm | Report
I can probably make one :V

Played her on release, replayed her and had a bit of success recently as well.

I don't think she's a terrible pick atm, there are quite a few situations where she excels.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 10:55pm | Report
I wonder how the authors of these guides feel about the publicity? We haven't had one of the authors turn up and say "Ah cool, thanks for the feature!" yet :/

Looks like the next champion for an article will be Lulu... will the Fiora players be able to combat that through their poll votes? :P

Good luck to the Shyvana players this week ^^ Hopefully this collaborative guide helps you out!
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
jamespongebob
<Wingman>
jamespongebob's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 10:58pm | Report
She better.

I think the author of the Annie guide updated his/her runes after having it criticized on the page.
My Guides

-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 11, 2014 11:20pm | Report
@Jhoi
Maybe drop into their guide and notify them that they have been featured here?

Other than that, good work on these all!
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide