Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AP Master Yi: Worth it?

Creator: RainDance May 3, 2011 3:34pm
1 2 3 4
RainDance
<Member>
RainDance's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 3:34pm | Report
Hey all, Rainshade here,

So, I am nearly 30 and have been enjoying Master Yi alot! He's a very fun, mobile champion. On a whim I started to build him AP, just to give it a shot and am really enjoying it. However, I have YET to get into a game without my teammates calling "WTF NOOOB!" and "Build him with AS/Vamp!" or "I used to play Yi all the time, youngster, and let me tell you..."

I am curious, at level 30, especially in ranked games, is an AP Master Yi build viable? I understand it rather moves him away from a Carry position into a Mage/Nuker position, but in terms of K/D ratio and survivability, AP Yi seems substantially more usable.

Any thoughts?
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 3:41pm | Report
In ranked games, I would only do it if you don't have an AoE bursty mage already (annie, malz etc) but he can be a lot of fun for sure. Lichbane is god on him if you want to kill turrets. Ignore anyone who tells you to build AS/Vamp because they are a noob and that build sucks.

But with good teammates, AP Yi is certainly a lot better in teamfights. Just don't expect to kill all of them and get a penta kill, especially if they get MR. AP Yi is a one trick pony, Alpha Strike, proc lichbane if your not getting focused, highlander if your STILL not getting focused and Meditate somewhere in there if you are getting focused.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 4:30pm | Report
No, AP Yi is not viable in competitive play.

His only damaging spell forces you to get right next to your enemy and that's not really ideal for a caster, right?
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 4:36pm | Report
^ Meditate + Zhonya's = 7 seconds of healing for your full health, then Alpha Strike again? :P

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 4:37pm | Report
Yeaa.... no.
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2011 4:39pm | Report
If you like AP yi, go play annie

She's viable in competitive play
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2011 2:45am | Report
Or Anivia :D
Love her.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Kirluu
<Member>
Kirluu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2011 5:53am | Report
I'd say playing AP Yi, kind of removes his tower-killing capabilities. A Yi with good minion farm is supposed to, in the case of a long game, be able to go take out any buildings around half health without dying. Ofc. AP Yi might potentially be able to do this, but having to heal in the middle of it, kind of ruins the concept as it's likely you won't get away having to waste time on that. Potentially Yi needs one lane pushed forward, and while the enemy takes either baron or is pushing your mid, you're supposed to be able to do just the same damage to their base, if not more. That's my image of Yi at least.
Check out my comprehensive guide for Jax !!
-
Make sure to hit that +Rep button if I helped you out, and you feel I deserve it! :)
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 4, 2011 9:48am | Report
AP Yi is not viable, but I promise you Hybrid Yi is.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
BOTTLEOFWIN
<Member>
BOTTLEOFWIN's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 8, 2011 11:27am | Report
AP Yi is viable, but I don't think it's right for ranked games, unless your transitioning from AP yi to HYBRID yi, then aight that might work. Because AP Yi rapes faces early game cause of your Alpha Strike but end up falling apart mid-late game. I would usually buy a hextech or guinsoo's rage blade around mid game to makes my Highlander more useful, with the AP from guinsoo's and hextech your Meditate would be OP. I would also recommend getting clarity for baiting and early game, for example if a person chases after you and your oom, pop clarity then meditate and finish him.

AP Yi = Early Game
Hybrid = Mid-Late game
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide