Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Let's talk about the current scoring system.

Creator: Khazem June 11, 2014 7:05pm
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2014 7:05pm | Report
Hello friends.

A lot of you will probably hate me for bringing up this discussion once again, but after taking a look at how guides are currently ranked I just couldn't help myself.
please forgive me friends

ANYWAY I think there are a lot of problems with how guides are currently ranked, as well as other things that have also been discussed a million times such as the scouting system. Here's what I think the current main problems are.
  • When looking for the top rated guide on a champion, the order seems completely random. There's three(?) ways to do it (clicking the Builds & Guides tab, selecting a champion and pressing the Top Rated tab/scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking on a champion name and clicking on 'Top Champ' under Top charts when hovering over the Builds & Guides tab) and in all three lists the order is different.
  • The score% of a guide seems to have absolutely no significance in the way guides are ranked.
  • When looking for top rated guides, season 3 and other outdated guides are still in the list, in some cases even displayed above properly updated guides.
  • Scout points -still- seem to have absolutely no meaning and also don't affect a guides' ranking in a top rated list.

And here's my list of suggestions.
  • First off and most importantly, I think above all, guides that have been scouted should always be displayed above all other guides for that champion in any top rated list. These are the guides that are approved by the MOBAFire scouts, a group of people who are supposed to be looking for the best guides out there. A scout point should be an undeniable seal of approval by the best guide scouts on this website and this should also show in the way guides are ranked. Obviously if this were to happen scouts would have to definitely step up and more actively discuss what guides are worthy of being scouted but that's another thing.
  • After that, when looking for the TOP RATED guide in any of the different ways you can on MOBAFire, you should be getting a list of the TOP RATED guides. This means guides ranked by their overall score %, not just the last 20 votes they received. There could be an extra option or tab to look for what guide has gotten the most upvotes by % recently, but when people look for the top rated guides, that should be exactly what they get.
  • Special guest guides should not automatically be displayed above other guides in ranking, but instead should get a special section of their own. While they're really nice to have, not a lot of special guests keep their guides updated so having them in their own little section where people can clearly tell them apart for other guides seems more appropriate. If the community deems them good enough to be highest on the ranking, we can always scout them.

These are all my current thoughts, I might have forgotten something but I'm pretty sure I covered the most important things. I know a lot of these points have been brought up before but when I was randomly looking how guides were being ranked I thought it made absolutely no sense, so I couldn't help but bring it up one more time to hopefully try and get some change going, cause while I really care about the quality of MOBAFire guides and want to contribute I just see no point with the current state of things.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 6:16am | Report
Khazem wrote:
  • After that, when looking for the TOP RATED guide in any of the different ways you can on MOBAFire, you should be getting a list of the TOP RATED guides. This means guides ranked by their overall score %, not just the last 20 votes they received. There could be an extra option or tab to look for what guide has gotten the most upvotes by % recently, but when people look for the top rated guides, that should be exactly what they get.

I think a better alternative would be simply to increase the number. 20 is too low imo.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 7:50am | Report
Well, the original reason to count only the last 20 votes was because there were guides stuck at the top with 10945719035871039 votes from 10 patches prior.

Edit:

So I think the vote counts from the most recent patches (last 2) should count.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 12:03pm | Report
As someone who until recently only used Mobafire for the guides -- simply because Mobafire guides came up first when Googling "League of Legends (insert character name)," -- I can tell you that I found it annoying to see all of the old outdated guides showing up when I first clicked on the link for a character. I always sorted by "updated" to make sure I got guides that applied to this season and then had to skim through to find the guides that were best. Seeing all of the outdated guides gave the impression that the site wasn't being carefully monitored or updated. Any kind of system that purges guides that have not been updated in a long time would be very valuable. And, a system where moderators on the site encourage guides they feel are best to be listed first would be great, too.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 16, 2014 8:29am | Report
Top Talon guides that display on the right side of your screen while you read a Talon guide.

Top Talon guides when you click Talon at the bottom of the page.

Not bothered about the other 2 guides of mine as one's a mini guide and the other I thought was archived, but yeah that's inconsistent as hell l0l. The top guide isn't even listed in one of the lists. (At least I'm assuming it's the top guide, can't really prove it though)
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 16, 2014 3:37pm | Report
I think the most recent site update should have addressed a lot of your problems.

I am aware there's still one ordering discrepancy (footer links) but the rest are pretty similar now. If you find any more inconsistencies post them in the Support forum because they are probably bugs.

Vapora, as I said the footer link is still a little wonky in that it displays S3 anywhere and not always below S4. The sidebar list is pretty close to the other guide listings and any differences might be caching, since I checked some other champs and their sidebar vs other guide listings were spot on.

As Mungo said the most annoying thing to someone browsing for guides is having outdated guides at the top. Having the ranked score be based on the last 20 votes helps this a lot, as outdated guides will be downvoted and move down in ranks. The more we increase the limit the harder and harder it will get for top guides to be dethroned, which was the main complaint of the previous guide ordering system. Right now the vote cap does a lot to help keep updated guides at the top and gives voters the ability to make an impact, unlike flat score. I know it is nice to have a guide with a spot guaranteed at the top, but giving recent votes more impact than past votes is better for the majority of users.

If you make the limit just based on Patches then guides that are lower on the list will get screwed because they rarely get votes (this is why even with a vote cap top guides have the advantage).
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
BlueArtist
<Member>
BlueArtist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2014 3:06am | Report
For what Khazem said, wasn't the old scoring system which was listing guides in the order of guest > scouted > % score?

I am against the last 20 votes system. Some guides that are constantly updated but published very long back don't usually get many upvotes, since the majority has read it already, while new guides would usually receive a sudden influx of upvotes, and not too many downvotes, unlike the old guides, which one downvote would screw it up. This makes the old guides listed below the new ones even though the % score is greater. It would be sort of misleading for viewers since they are misdirected to the "top rated" guides, which in fact are newly published and are kind of "less reputable" than the old ones.

I would rather see guides be ranked in order of the percentage and not the last 20 votes, and also with the implementation of the stacking which pushes outdated guides down, the last 20 votes system don't really make much sense in my opinion.
My #2 RumbleGuide

^^ Thanks toUbnoxius,Xiaowiriamu,Natuhlee and Hogopogo for the sig!

Please give me a +rep if I helped you.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2014 4:41pm | Report
Guide scoring is still messed up. A guide with one upvote total was ranked #1. Also, check this screenshot from the elise guides:

Obviously my guide should be #1. I've got the second most votes, highest upvote % and the guide is 100% updated and so are the votes as the guide is only 2 months old. However, the system puts me at 8, even below guides that have as much downvotes as me but on way less votes total.

BTW: even considering only the 20 most recent votes count my guide score should still be a lot higher than at least 6 of these guides.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 21, 2014 7:54pm | Report
^Fresh should be above S4 anyway.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 22, 2014 3:19am | Report
That as well. It's incredibly bugged and it's costing me a lot of guide views at the moment :/

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide