Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Summoner's rift: your choice?

Creator: Chirika November 29, 2013 2:26am
1 2
Whether to give the players a choice to choose a theme for their matches?
Chirika
<Member>
Chirika's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 2:26am | Report
Good day, dear Mobafire community.
You may ask what does exactly my thread means, it is pretty simple. The idea comes to me accidently so let me explain. I watched some old LoL’s videos on youtube and saw different themes for Summoner’s rift and I thought it will be good if Riot let players to choose theme for their matches. In other words before start of the match players will be given a choice to choose a theme for Summoner’s rift:
1) Summer (default theme);
2) Autumn (landscape and trees turn more to brighter tone and colored (orange and yellow));
3) Winter (landscape turns to white picture with white trees and ice around);
4) Spring (something between winter and summer – the snow and ice have not melt completely, trees stand without foliage etc).
So before the start of the match (but after all champions are selected and summoner’s spells are chosen) players will have poll when they should choose theme for their match. The majority chooses the theme and if poll failed (3 players – winter, 3 – spring; 3 – autumn and 1 – summer) the default theme will be chosen. It can be good if we can experience different theme in our matches rather than only during special events. It can be good if Riot change not only landscape but neutral monsters, creeps etc. So if we will be given a choice at the same time we will be playing the same Summoner’s Rift but something a little different. Of course such thing can find place in other game’s mods – The Twisted Treeline and The Crystal Scar.
I would like to hear your opinion about this, looking forward to read your comments.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 2:39am | Report
They've actually said they're never going to change the map again. Too much work for basically no reward. It also makes the game run worse on bad computers. So, why would you want less people to enjoy your game, ya know?
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 2:40am | Report
Oh the lagg on the Wintermap + the OP Annie visuals on it :DDD
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 3:00am | Report
SR as it is now is fine. Having a wintermap or autumn one is a nice change everyonce and a while, but doesn't really add something to it. It is not like: WOW OMG THE WINTERMAP IS OUT NOW.

Having a choice in this matter, would also not really add something to the game. It is nice for a week or something, but afterwards you probably don't even care anymore. Riot would have to implement a whole new system, some people might get lag and it doesn't really add something, well, this idea is likely not going to happen. It is fine the way it is :P
Change is gooooood
Picture by: VirusNG1
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 3:56am | Report
Just use a mod if it bothers you that much.
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 4:35am | Report
sirell wrote:

Just use a mod if it bothers you that much.

QFmotherflippingT
Chirika
<Member>
Chirika's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 4:56am | Report
Lugignaf wrote:

They've actually said they're never going to change the map again. Too much work for basically no reward. It also makes the game run worse on bad computers. So, why would you want less people to enjoy your game, ya know?

As a programmer I can assure you there is absolutely nothing difficult to make new texture for existing map. “…no reward” - it is hard not to agree with you, any job imply to gain any profit. No future profit – no point in making this job. With such thinking we should not expect any free content from any game’s developer (even for P2P games), we just have to pay for any content they provide. As for a bad computers, I partially agree, of course any player should feel comfortable in game but it also depends how developers adapt any changes to game so gamers won’t feel any different between default theme or any other.

Meiyjhe wrote:

SR as it is now is fine. Having a wintermap or autumn one is a nice change everyonce and a while, but doesn't really add something to it. It is not like: WOW OMG THE WINTERMAP IS OUT NOW.

Having a choice in this matter, would also not really add something to the game. It is nice for a week or something, but afterwards you probably don't even care anymore. Riot would have to implement a whole new system, some people might get lag and it doesn't really add something, well, this idea is likely not going to happen. It is fine the way it is :P

This change is really cosmetic change (yup, it does not add anything). Of course in time any player will get used to any changes and won’t be care anymore. About lags problems – again it depends how developer adapt change to game.
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 6:57am | Report
I absolutely agree with you OP, problem is I really don't care much about the map texture itself, and I suspect most others are with me on this one.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 29, 2013 1:35pm | Report
Chirika wrote:

As a programmer I can assure you there is absolutely nothing difficult to make new texture for existing map.

That's not exactly the issue though?

Yes, people will enjoy it. There will always be people who enjoy things that look cool. Literally anyone could make textures, animations, etc. for the SR map. It's the fact that it takes time and money, albeit a small amount of the secondary, and it does not improve the experience of the playerbase at all. It looks nice, as others have said, but the nice look is taxing on lower end computers and the novelty could quickly wear off of those that have weaker computers, and even though that have better computers.

If we also look at your "vote for theme" model, it makes it a little more complex since people with bad computers would almost always vote for the "less impressive" maps simply so they could play on the same level as people that could easily enjoy the very impressive maps. But now they're being forced to play at a disadvantage simply because they couldn't run the map well. Or, make it extremely low quality to run it and lose out on the majesty of the map. It's just lose/lose overall.
Omnislash GG
<Member>
Omnislash GG's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 30, 2013 6:29am | Report
I think they should be available for custom games, but that's about it. Like others have said, people playing on older computers will lag hard on seasonal maps. Also, "voting for maps" makes it seem like the map is important, and it's not.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide