Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Toxic vs. Unskilled

Creator: Blian November 17, 2015 7:35am
1 2 3 4
Who would you rather play with in RANKED?
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 7:35am | Report
I was always wondering so here it is please vote guys!

OK, so somehow I screwed up the vote and it didn't go through but the question was:

Who would you rather play with in RANKED?

1., Good Toxic player
2., Unskilled Polite player

I would go with a 'Good Toxic' answer as for me playing RANKED means I am playing 100% for win and I don't really care if someone negative in chat or insulting me for e.g. if he is good at the game. I can mute a good but toxic player but unfortunately I can't block a bad but polite guy.

I will never understand how anybody can be offended through a video game as most probably those people have never been insulted IRL.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 8:05am | Report
My primary reason to play this game is – I cannot believe that I am saying this – to actually have fun; I do not have delusions of me being discovered as a major pro player so winning is, whilst fun, not exactly the main point. Yes, I am aware it is ranked, but losing a game just because someone is having a bad game never really throws me off, however someone who expects the entire team to do their bidding just because they are doing well is something that vexes me; those games seem endless because they just aren't fun to play at all, and I generally perform worse too because I just want it to be over with.

In short, a polite unskilled player might cost you a game, but a toxic player can ruin multiple games or even just suck out all the fun you're having and, in general, I'd say that's what playing games is all about.

Blian wrote:
I will never understand how anybody can be offended through a video game as most probably those people have never been insulted IRL.

It has nothing to do with being insulted; people play games in order to have fun and having to deal with people who do not have the decency to be civil because it's interaction over the internet just kind of ruins that.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 8:08am | Report
League of Laughs, not League of Low-blows.

By all means, I love people who just flat out say what they're thinking. But hurting people for the hurting is not okay.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 8:23am | Report
Blian wrote:

Being toxic is not about offending someone, it's about creating a negative atmosphere that's just much less enjoyable to play in.

I really don't care what someone did with my mum last night, I do care when people are just flat out negative and talking **** to each other because they're frustrated. It affects the game itself too.

My primary reason to play this game is – I cannot believe that I am saying this – to actually have fun; I do not have delusions of me being discovered as a major pro player so winning is, whilst fun, not exactly the main point. Yes, I am aware it is ranked, but losing a game just because someone is having a bad game never really throws me off, however someone who expects the entire team to do their bidding just because they are doing well is something that vexes me; those games seem endless because they just aren't fun to play at all, and I generally perform worse too because I just want it to be over with.

In short, a polite unskilled player might cost you a game, but a toxic player can ruin multiple games or even just suck out all the fun you're having and, in general, I'd say that's what playing games is all about.

It has nothing to do with being insulted; people play games in order to have fun and having to deal with people who do not have the decency to be civil because it's interaction over the internet just kind of ruins that.

Completely agreed and oops, I just read you commented pretty much the exact same thing on that part.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 8:43am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Completely agreed and oops, I just read you commented pretty much the exact same thing on that part.

Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:19am | Report
My primary reason to play this game is – I cannot believe that I am saying this – to actually have fun; I do not have delusions of me being discovered as a major pro player

Neither do I and I also completely agree on the having fun part. But playing normals or arams is not as much fun as ranked? I do love cheesy builds and picks too or goofing around with my friends but when I play ranked there is always one objective which is the VICTORY.

Vynertje wrote:
Being toxic is not about offending someone, it's about creating a negative atmosphere that's just much less enjoyable to play in.

Maybe MUTE then? I know people love preaching about communication which is a key factor I agree but except really high ELO I think pings would do the trick. I don't think decent/low elo players can take advantage of timing ulties or summs (no offense!).
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:32am | Report
This. People should stop pulling the "just a game" argument whenever they don't want to deal with problems in videogames or the internet in general.

That said, I don't play soloqueue to have fun. I play to climb and because I like analizing the stats. I guess even then it depends on how toxic/how good the negative player is vs how bad the unskilled player is. I mean, if he's just slightly better than average but starts tilting everyone I'd rather have the polite noob that can follow orders. Now if he's getting really fed and a good chunk of his toxicity falls on the other team (or just on me) then hell yeah I'll take him.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:34am | Report
I'm on the fence on this one. On one side, "toxicity" is not a straight line and people have different levels of tolerance. I've been called toxic on multiple occasions just because of some funky sass but I can count with one hand the amount of times I was actually aiming for being brutally offensive.

On the other side, negativity often generates negativity. There's people who will not react well to ******** and decide to purposedly bomb the game after someone has abused them too much.

I'm ok with politeness, but I hate exagerated optimism. Anyone who thinks they're channeling their inner Lux annoy me more than someone who says they had sex with my mother.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:37am | Report
Blian wrote:

Maybe MUTE then? I know people love preaching about communication which is a key factor I agree but except really high ELO I think pings would do the trick. I don't think decent/low elo players can take advantage of timing ulties or summs (no offense!).

It does not stop things like ping spam or someone flat out refusing to play as a team (or play normally at all!) though. I've played with many great players who either behaved like a **** (even when muted through ping spam) or just stopped playing the game normally because things didn't go their way. Toxicity goes way beyond what you do in chat.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2015 9:37am | Report
On the bright side, I had sex with your mother.

EDIT: I posted too late and now my rude joke is ruined...
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide