Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

according to the US government, esports is real...

Creator: caucheka July 12, 2013 4:10pm
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 4:48pm | Report
but he directly asked if chess is in the olympics. which it isn't.

on the topic of if its sports or not, i don't care that chess is recognized as a sport if only for the amount of mind games played, but in no way are chess players athletes.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 5:03pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

Does this really matter?

policies matter to all. the sooner you realize it, the better.

Sig made by Hogopogo
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 5:04pm | Report
I dont follow sports, or even esports really. So forgive me for not having my facts straight, but as far as I know a sport can be anything competitive in nature, which esports are.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 5:10pm | Report
arnt poker and pool considered sports too?

also like OTG said do you just like to complain about things?
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Berzerk
<Member>
Berzerk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 5:11pm | Report
I dont see why this should matter to you in any way.

Check out my complete guide to top lane here.
Check out my Jayce guide here.
Kazega
<Member>
Kazega's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 6:59pm | Report
E sports is a sport the same way NASCAR of F-1 is a sport. it might not seem taxing physically, but it is because you have to stay focused all the time. all the wear on you mental state affects you physical state as well. lower reactions times can mean the difference between victory and defeat
RaNuD
<Member>
RaNuD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 7:27pm | Report
As some have already pointed out, South Korean SC players are in incredibly good shape, they wouldnt be able to pull the crazy stuff they do if they werent.

As for the F-1 point, anyone who read this thread most definately doesnt have a strong enough body to hold a full race.
In a thread about his own ban,
gabpin wrote:
stfu I only did that : swearing and thats why i got ban are u ****** or something ?

In a thread about toxic players,
Go be a whiny baby elsewhere. Find and abuse the ignore button. No sense stinking up this forum with your crying.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 7:58pm | Report
Honestly speaking, you are entitled to your own opinions, but you really are undermining how much effort pro players put in this game.

It's not just "they play games on their computer for 10 hours"

They have to do game analyses, physical and mental health regulations, etc.

You should try playing this game consecutively for 10 hours and tell me if you can maintain the same or similar level of play before and after the 10 hours.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 8:57pm | Report
If it really bothers you that much, then just redefine the word 'sports', ffs.

I recall a teacher of mine telling me that turning a corner in an F1 car is equivalent to lifting ~3.5 times your own weight in kg. A poor comparison to a PC gamer.

Playing these games professionally is fiercely competitive, that's all that's required. I don't really care if it's a 'real' sport or w/e. Whilst 'esports' can have the same root as 'sport', their meanings can be different. It's not a requirement that esports have to be as physically taxing as 'real sports'.

Quoted:
Chess is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee and international chess competition is sanctioned by the World Chess Federation (FIDE), which adopted the now-standard Staunton chess set in 1924 for use in all official games.

Yes, chess is an internationally recognised Olympic sport.

Interesting fact: chess playing levels are judged off the Elo system which, coincidentally, LoL adopted as well (though modified if I recall correctly).

Also, athletes are people who regularly participate in sports. Since Chess is a sport, guess what? Chess players are athletes too. Unless you are talking about athletes in terms of 'athletics', which does not include anything outside track and field, long distance, etc etc. Under this definition, Chess players aren't athletes. Neither are football players. Nor tennis players.

I know at the beginning I said that you should redefine the word if it doesn't satisfy you, but it seems you've already done that.
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 12, 2013 9:23pm | Report
Interesting fact continuation : I think the ELO system was eve originally invented to rank chess players =)
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide