Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Elo Hell & Skill

Creator: cronokidd313 November 4, 2015 9:50am
16 posts - page 2 of 2
1 2
Blian
<Member>
Blian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 7:19am | Report
Ixtellor wrote:

When a challenger beats bronzes --- that doesn't prove anything.

Just because Lebron James joins your junior high school basketball team and leads you to state... doesn't meant that a) The point guard is actually good or b)That the Center isn't a horrible troll.

I want to see a gold V person carry silver 3's consistently --- that would disprove ELO hell.

Also, I guess Dunkey was lying then in his last post that many many people agreed with regarding the ability to carry.

I've asked for vids many times where high ELO players carry with their smurf when the whole team is just simply garbage and other lanes are feeding hard. Has NOT happened yet. I am really curious to see them in action when they can't rely on their team but have to deal with overfed enemies :)
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 7:43am | Report
Ixtellor wrote:
I want to see a gold V person carry silver 3's consistently --- that would disprove ELO hell.

Also, I guess Dunkey was lying then in his last post that many many people agreed with regarding the ability to carry.
You're being unfair. ELO hell doesn't exist because, statistically, there's only 4 potential feeders/trolls on your side and 5 on the other. That is, assuming you're actually a decent player for your ELO.

Anecdotal evidence proves nothing. A bunch of upvoted comments on a youtuber whose main thing was insulting in games mean even less (seriously, you can't get much more skewed than dunkey's comment section).

ELO boosting means someone from a higher league actually takes your account up the ELO ladder, not that it wins 100% of the games. You're assuming things that have nothing to do with what plagas said. The fact that boosters can go up proves that they are better than the guy they're boosting, and on top of that off, that going up is by no ways impossible. People who can't climb just aren't good enough. As rough as it sounds, that's the truth.

Also, a 3 division difference doesn't mean anything, and nobody said otherwise. There is some variance in your ranking, but that doesn't mean ELO hell is a thing, just that the system isn't perfect and you'll fluctuate around your "true" skill.
skumnasty
<Member>
skumnasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 8:33am | Report
Blian wrote:

I've asked for vids many times where high ELO players carry with their smurf when the whole team is just simply garbage and other lanes are feeding hard. Has NOT happened yet. I am really curious to see them in action when they can't rely on their team but have to deal with overfed enemies :)

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1998225258/35160679?tab=overview

I have the replay file if you'd like it as well.

Notice gp left after giving first blood, making a 4v5. Also note how many times Kat and udyr died early on.

This is called a carry.
skumnasty
<Member>
skumnasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 8:43am | Report
Ekki wrote:
You're being unfair. ELO hell doesn't exist because, statistically, there's only 4 potential feeders/trolls on your side and 5 on the other. That is, assuming you're actually a decent player for your ELO.

Anecdotal evidence proves nothing. A bunch of upvoted comments on a youtuber whose main thing was insulting in games mean even less (seriously, you can't get much more skewed than dunkey's comment section).

ELO boosting means someone from a higher league actually takes your account up the ELO ladder, not that it wins 100% of the games. You're assuming things that have nothing to do with what plagas said. The fact that boosters can go up proves that they are better than the guy they're boosting, and on top of that off, that going up is by no ways impossible. People who can't climb just aren't good enough. As rough as it sounds, that's the truth.

Also, a 3 division difference doesn't mean anything, and nobody said otherwise. There is some variance in your ranking, but that doesn't mean ELO hell is a thing, just that the system isn't perfect and you'll fluctuate around your "true" skill.

^ This.

If you are within a couple tiers if your actual skill level then yes, it will be more difficult to climb because you are depending more heavily on the fact that your team's skill level is higher than the opposing.

Now if your skill level is significantly higher than your current tier, climbing is easier and with enough games you WILL climb.

As hard as this is to accept for people that deny they are in the division that they belong, it can be statistically proven. Do you still have a chance of having trolls? Yes! But the other team has an equal, and even GREATER chance of having them!! (Assuming you aren't a troll yourself.)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 8:58am | Report
Blian wrote:

Don't have vod but I've once won a 3v5 on high-silver level, does that count?

Anyway I bet the reasons such a vod has not happened yet are:

1) High elo players often get their allies fed, not just themselves.
2) People aren't willing to put in the effort to record all their smurf games in the hope that one matches your criteria

Seriously though, just look at some bronze to challenger streams or some of the "post your game stats here" and you'll have enough of an impression.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2015 11:09am | Report
Carrying doesn't have to mean you're 1v5ing the other team, a lot of time when high elo smurfs 'carry' they're just making sure their team doesn't feed so the game doesn't become impossible. Also, they get fed because they can recognize mistakes easily so they just keep capitalizing...getting fed is just like a side effect.

Are you on NA Blian? I can add you on a plat/gold account and you can spectate to see what vyn and I mean.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide