Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Grounds for in-game Suspensions

Creator: DocSmoothJew June 12, 2011 4:50am
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 10:36am | Report
Anyways, I don't see what's wrong with Riot's banning system. You must rage a lot if you get banned because I rage here and there and flame others in chat, but I never get banned. Also given that I always win my lane and go positive so mayby that's a little leniency for me?

Anyways from what I hear, people that are banned/suspended truly deserve it. If you got banned for something small to you, the people that have done worse probably got even worse consequences.

DocSmoothJew
<Member>
DocSmoothJew's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 11:18am | Report
I suppose that's true, Xaioli. I don't think the system's all that bad, but I do in general have an issue with suspending for something that a user can easily avoid and thusly have no reason to complain about.

Just to clarify, I totally got why I got suspended the first time. After that one I dialed myself back a ****ton and then this crops up on me. No idea how. Not really important.

To be honest, I think some of Riot's decisions regarding disciplinary action within the community are related to their massive failings in making a replay system. A replay system is 100% necessary to catch some of these infractions as chat is rarely a dead giveaway of what someone is doing wrong and that's all we have to go on at this point other than their score in the game. As a GM in HoN you had to review replays for lots of stuff such as intentional feeding and what not. Don't get me wrong, chat helps but you definitely NEED the replay to be sure of what someone did. Basically, I think Riot wants to give players the feeling that they are doing something, but in the end flaming is the mild end of the range of issues that the community faces. The feeders and trolls that insist on building like tards just to piss off serious players are the major issue (evidenced by Riot specifically stating in forum announcements that they're cracking down on trolls).
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 11:43am | Report
Well, there's something your not considering. The first time you do something bad you'll get lightly punished, usually just a warning. If it's more than just breaking the rules you'll get suspended. The second time it'll be worse. Even if you did less than the first time the punishment will be worse. That's what happens in most games, it should happen in LoL as well.

EDIT: Oh, and the tribunal is just the Lolz. 10 people for 5 IP each? And they want me to properly read the chats and such? looool.
All I do is:
<7 games -> look at the reasons and number of reports.
>6 games -> punish
either way I ignore the chat.
DocSmoothJew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 11:53am | Report
I never got any warning. Just banned for a couple days out of nowhere. All I'm saying is the system could be better. Suspending people for verbal abuse is ridiculous. If you guys flagrantly disagree then please say why because I would like to know what others think about this.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 12:00pm | Report
but didn't you say you got suspended once already and they had a good reason for it?
If you keep doing the same, even if it wasn't as bad, you'll get suspended again.
DocSmoothJew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 12:04pm | Report
I was referring to the fact that the first time I didn't get a warning as you said everyone should. Just for the record I mean bad as in I flamed people and as I conveyed to the support people that handle the reporting system, I never flame people simply for doing bad. I only ever flame people for thinking it's hilarious to build like a ****** on purpose. Oh look, I'm AD Kennen or I'm AP Ashe. I've always stuck to the policy of don't start it but always finish it. If some jerk wants to flame me I'll flame back, but I only ever start it if someone is trolling hardcore.

Anyway, it's okay. I've learned the lesson. Riot is incredibly stick up *** about verbal infractions. But hey, Canoas do please address the second part of my last post. Why should they ban for verbal abuse?
Ya1232
<Member>
Ya1232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 12:16pm | Report
One thing I have not seen is what you were saying and how bad it was. So this is kinda just...speculation and not a personal attack.
One simple racist comment or any about sexuality (You're gay, *** and so forth) or things such as I raped you in the score or whatever. Things like this can be considered a hate crime and a threat. I hate doing this, but having been there for 6 years I use it as an example, WoW had a MAJOR thing about things like this getting out of hand and they would temp ban people for like 3 hours.
If it kept going then you got banned longer and longer. Im pretty sure that if you did something, got banned for it or got a warning for it and did it again or something very similar then its a ban without question. You didnt learn the first time so maybe this time.

Another thing against you is the Tribunal. As many people said before it come out, "Great, trolls are just going to go 'ban ban ban ban ban ban ban ban ban ban' and some people may be hit by this and banned. This may be another reason why you got banned.

In the end, its a free game you are not losing money out of it and you can always make a smurf account, play your smurf account or catch up on sleep.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 12:18pm | Report
because no one enjoys being verbally abused?
Which game do you think attracts more people? A game where everyone flames each other or a game where everyone is nice to each other?

I have a thought skin and will gladly get into flame wars. I love games where I can just NEEEEEEEEEEERDAAAGE at everyone, but I realize other people do not. I couldn't care less about those guys, but I understand why Riot does.
DocSmoothJew
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 12:28pm | Report
Thanks for the insight Ya. I see your point. I am personally very open to people being gay, but I do occasionally use the term "******" to insult others. Definitely dropped that in a huge way after my first ban though. Of that I am pretty sure. As for racial epithets definitely a big no-no for me. I'm a Jew and thusly I can definitely appreciate how using stuff like "******", etc. would be very unokay to put it mildly. I mostly stick to stuff like "**** you". I just wish I knew why I got the suspension this time but whatever. I guess this is gonna make me a lot more apprehensive about speaking in chat since you get shouted at for barely saying anything in the first place but whatever. I have sunk a minor amount of cash into this account and wouldn't like to have wasted it.

Canoas, that doesn't address the fact that you can simply ignore someone who is annoying you. To be honest, as you're even saying, some people just cope with bad games by raging. I've frankly toned mine down a lot since my first ban. So, if people react to their frustration in different ways why is raging an unacceptable way despite people being able to just ignore the rager? It seems awfully stupid to put in a feature that ends up being pointless.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one of the few reasons they ban people for bad language in HoN if I recall correctly is dodging the language filter. That I can see getting suspended for, but if I stick to the filter so people that don't like foul language don't have to see it then I don't see why I should get banned for it.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 2:30pm | Report
does the filter really prevent insults?
is saying "you're really ******ed!" really different from saying "you're really ######!"?
At least to me it isn't.

Also, you can choose to ignore, but without communication you pretty much lose the game. Putting him in ignore is not a viable alternative.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide