Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Is Rengar worth it?

Creator: Forgottenduty March 12, 2013 7:50pm
1 2
Forgottenduty
<Member>
Forgottenduty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2013 7:50pm | Report
Rengar is a champion that released during my absence from the game, and although I've seen him quite some times in action I still can't understand a few things.
First of all what's his role exacly? I've seen him mostly in the jungle, but sometimes on top as well.
Is he played as an assasin or something else?
Also I've noticed that he is very weak in fights that happen in wide areas. And although is ulti does make him invisible most of the time the enemy will have an oracle.
Becides all that I've never seen a Rengar carry a game or snowball so far.
And all that makes me wonder. Is he worth buying? And if he is then for what role?
And most of all is he any good on competitive play??
-Come back with your shield,or on it-
The Overmyynd
<Editor>
The Overmyynd's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2013 8:04pm | Report
Rengar is used mostly as a jungle, but can be a decent top against certain champs.
He is an assassin, pure and simple.
He IS extremely weak in teamfights. His job is to single out and destroy one target at a time, he is a pretty good duelist. Before teamfights happen, he is good at getting his lanes fed because his ganks are pretty damn good. During teamfights he is good at either sucking up aggro then dipping out with invisibility after CDs and damage have been blown on him, or jumping in after a fight has started and bursting down low health targets and generally cleaning up.
Is he worth it? Yes and no. By himself, he would be worth it. But when you look at him next to hos counter part in the single target assassination with invisibility category, it can be argued that Kha'Zix is a better choice after rengar got hit with the nerf hammer. As for competitive play? There are better choices.
Hey, if you liked any advice i gave, be sure to +rep me! Oh, and check out my Shaco and Maokail lorecraft in my Blog! I'm a starving artist in need of attention, so please feel free to read, respond, and critique me! Please? Anybody that leaves a comment (good or bad) will receive a +rep!
Forgottenduty
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 12, 2013 9:09pm | Report
Thanks Overmyynd. Kha'zix is indeed a much better choice for this role, but he is much better at mid than in the jungle. I've been trying to find a replacement for jungling after Xin Zhao got nerfed. I've tried a lot but still I haven't found what I wanted. I've used Vi, Kha'Zix, Shyvana, Zed, Olaf, Tryndamere and more but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
jinlee
<Member>
jinlee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 1:07am | Report
Vi is killer right now, Shyvana isnt as strong now because of the jungle being more suited to single target hitters and Zed is better mid his jungle is kinda hard, Olaf got nerfed up the butt so hes not really that great now. he has an even lower win rate than Karma. and trynd is probably not the best jungle because hes mainly good for ap now but im not sure about this and Xin Zhao wasnt nerfed that hard yes it hurt him a little but not that much

all credit for this amazing sig goes to the nameless bard

if you thought what i said was worth it a rep would be rainbow pony awesome
A Chubby Baby
<Veteran>
A Chubby Baby's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 1:15am | Report
There are better champions to choose from. For example, Vi.
DisturbedFox
<Inhouse Regular>
DisturbedFox's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 2:42am | Report
No, he's not worth buying.
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 3:11am | Report
Buy him and the new nidalee skin..

TOTALLY WORTH IT <3
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 5:09am | Report
Eeeh, lol.

Rengar is a lot better top than jungle imo. His laning phase is strong, but if he doesn't get ahead and snowball it can be troublesome for him to be of great value in teamfights (by eliminating the enemy AD before he has a chance to say "OH SNAP IT'S RENGAR, SOMEONE PROTECT ME"). His late game generally just relies more on how well he does early/mid and he has to build damage rather than being able to build anything and still deal damage (like Darius for example). On top of that, he's also not the easiest champion to learn.

Having said all that, he does have high snowball potential (even if you pick up some random kills in the first couple of teamfights after going even in lane, that's fine), is a lot of fun to play and deals incredible damage incredibly fast (if you execute his combo properly) once fed.

In conclusion:
  • Can he be good? Yes.
  • Are others better than him right now? They are assuming you don't get fed in laning phase.
  • Should I buy Rengar if I want a good jungler? No.
  • Should I buy Rengar if I'm new to playing top lane and want to learn how it works? No.
  • Should I buy him once I am more familiar with the role and am looking to pick up a fun champ? Hell yes.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 5:29am | Report
Er.

First of all, Rengar is a TANKY BRUISER. His kit is beast and has strong abilities. Problem though? Gets kited + no gapclosers. This leaves a champion meant for either initiating or peeling with no abilities to do so, leaving Rengar in a niche spot. he still functions well like other champs do in terms of tankiness and damage, but he just gets kited so ridiculously hard it's stupid.

and rengar jungle sucks lol.
Forgottenduty
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2013 9:17am | Report
jinlee wrote:

Vi is killer right now, Shyvana isnt as strong now because of the jungle being more suited to single target hitters and Zed is better mid his jungle is kinda hard, Olaf got nerfed up the butt so hes not really that great now. he has an even lower win rate than Karma. and trynd is probably not the best jungle because hes mainly good for ap now but im not sure about this and Xin Zhao wasnt nerfed that hard yes it hurt him a little but not that much

Well according to my LoL replay I have around 100 games with Xin Zhao after I came back on S3. The problem mostly is that you are so forced to build extremely tanky that you can't kill anyone one a 1v1 combat(you probably never find the enemy AD carry alone anyway), because your kit is so much AD reliant after his nerfs on E and R his damage is almost non existant which also forces you to max Q to deal some and people tend to get away very easely since the Cd on E is rediculusly long and early on you almost never have enough time to hit your target a 3rd time to throw him into the air. And unless you are with a premade team you won't be able to kill anything as on solo queue its rare to have people who follow your mentality. I tried almost 20 diffrent builds and setups after his nerf and still I felt useless. I also saw how bad he was at the recent tournament. I remember him chasing down a Jarvan IV who had no mana and around 300 health and it took him around 20 seconds(or more) to kill him. In general I haven't been able to carry my team to victory after the last patch with him.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide